Hearts Viaplay Cup - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Eh why was it always going to be transitional ? Like other teams are not going through transitions ? …. so we can’t get promoted so why bother 

Not sure where you’re going with this ?

The 4 who left were integral parts of the team and I don’t believe we’re going to get better players with our budget just now.

If you were at the game today you could see the massive gulf in class 

IMO as a provincial club we’re going to have build the Club through young players progressing similar to what happened last time around with O’Donnell, Paton , Lawless, Dools etc

That’s the reality whatever way you want to dress it up , when we do get promotion we need to be ready for it .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Let's get over the the terrible performance today and comment on our new 3rd strip which is fantastic.. always like a white strip.. so far not lucky but very nice...

Reminds me of the white strip when it was introduced in the early 80s - debut v Rangers (1872 version) at Ibrox - 0-4 pitiful.

Whitening strikes twice?

Today’s result was exactly what anyone  even remotely ‘au fait’ either the fate of Partick Thistle Football Club. 

Unfortunately, since the Ross County we’ve lost the beating heart of our side and equally unfortunately we’re highly unlikely to replace them any time soon.

We’re now paying the price for the previous boards failed gamble on winning promotion last season. Do people seriously expect us to double down and try that gamble again?

Frankly to do so would destroy our club, financially. That cannot be allowed to happen.  We’ll just have to fly with what we’ve got on the books.

I really wish I could paint a more optimistic picture,, but I honestly cannot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure where you’re going with this ?

The 4 who left were integral parts of the team and I don’t believe we’re going to get better players with our budget just now.

If you were at the game today you could see the massive gulf in class 

IMO as a provincial club we’re going to have build the Club through young players progressing similar to what happened last time around with O’Donnell, Paton , Lawless, Dools etc

That’s the reality whatever way you want to dress it up , when we do get promotion we need to be ready for it .

The players we lost were hardly world beaters just good pros at this level …. You might not believe we can get players as good as that but that’s your belief not a fact 

mic you accept that we spend 60% of our revenue on the first team around then you are saying that spending £1.5m on our team will never get us promotion 

that is clearly nonsense 

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That’s true but on that basis how did Kilmarnock revenue £4m beat Celtic revenue £76m …… that’s s bigger gulf than between us and Hearts 

Never mentioned revenue, but Killie v Celtic it was Premier League players v Premier League players on a plastic pitch 

I went today hoping for a good performance which I didn’t get 

I never thought we were ever going to win that game because of the difference in quality of the players.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Never mentioned revenue, but Killie v Celtic it was Premier League players v Premier League players on a plastic pitch 

I went today hoping for a good performance which I didn’t get 

I never thought we were ever going to win that game because of the difference in quality of the players.

I don’t disagree but it’s the manner of the defeat and I hate to mention it as you get accused of wanting McCall back but much worse than our game against rangers last season 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I don’t disagree but it’s the manner of the defeat and I hate to mention it as you get accused of wanting McCall back but much worse than our game against rangers last season 

I wanted rid of Ian McCall at least 2 years ago !

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

1-0 up against Airdrie - lost two goals in last 20 minutes 2-0 up against Raith Rovers - lost two goals in last 20 minutes 

ref Banzo - it was clear last Season he had very little to offer - a two year deal ? 

If he was not already a long term player we would not have signed him 

Re Airdrie we where not winning with 20 to go.  Airdrie equalised in 63rd min then took lead in 70th min so my original point stands that outwith 2nd leg PO final, Dools has only lost a 2 nil lead match once.  Crux of matter is are you calling for him to be relieved of his duties on back of losing away (badly yes) to arguably one of Scotlands top 4 teams in last 16 of cup having won group stage to get there?

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The players we lost were hardly world beaters just good pros at this level …. You might not believe we can get players as good as that but that’s your belief not a fact 

mic you accept that we spend 60% of our revenue on the first team around then you are saying that spending £1.5m on our team will never get us promotion 

that is clearly nonsense 

If you think at our level paying a player 50k a year is going to get you top quality, you’re seriously deluded .

The overspend on the Budget last year almost worked thanks to Doolan and how  he turned things around when he became manager.

We’re only 2 League games in and we’ve lost a Cup Game against a team that are playing in Europe 

Reality Check anyone 

Just now, jlsarmy said:

If you think at our level paying a player 50k a year is going to get you top quality, you’re seriously deluded .

The overspend on the Budget last year almost worked thanks to Doolan and how  he turned things around when he became manager.

We’re only 2 League games in and we’ve lost a Cup Game against a team that are playing in Europe 

Reality Check anyone 

So if I understand your point then £1.5m for a squad or £50k per player is not enough to get promoted and therefore we can’t get promoted anyway 

that is clearly nonsense 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So if I understand your point then £1.5m for a squad or £50k per player is not enough to get promoted and therefore we can’t get promoted anyway 

that is clearly nonsense 

Put into perspective, Dundee Utd need a centre half , so they buy from St Mirren Declan Gallagher a Scottish International 

We’ve got to try and get there a different way through progressing young players.

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Put into perspective, Dundee Utd need a centre half , so they buy from St Mirren Declan Gallagher a Scottish International 

We’ve got to try and get there a different way through progressing young players.

Sure but that doesn’t mean we can’t get promoted 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Did you expect us to win today ?

I didn’t but did expect us to play a lot better than we did .

To put the gulf into perspective, if Lawrence Shankland was sold it would probably buy our whole Club 

How much of a gulf in budget is there between us and Airdrie, Raith, Spartans, Peterhead and Falkirk because we really seemed to struggle against them too

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Need to calm down a bit JJ , I know it was your friend that got sacked , unfortunately if IM had been sacked earlier after losing 6 games on the trot including Cove and Hamilton at home I believe we would have got automatic promotion.

We lost 4 players from last season, definitely 2 who wanted to play Premier League and got their moves ( Tiff and Turner ) the other 2 players Doc and Kevin Holt got offered double their Wages to play at the same level , the big mistake was not giving either of these 2 players some sort of deal .

IMO I would given Ross Docherty the gig ,he controlled things for us , Dools should have sacrificed a player to give Doc the wages he was after ( Do we need Alston ?)

Doolan’s record is good , only 3 or 4 losses in 25/26 games 

I hope supporters realise this season was always going to transitional , we were never going to replace the players who left with like for like due to budget cuts because of the overspend from the previous Board and Management.

We’re only 2 League games into the season and possibly we should all calm down a bit .

Doolan has made mistakes already but I’m sure he’ll learn quickly.

Alston point is fair enough.  But could we not have also sacrificed Bannigans wage to have attempted to keep the others?  Or is it an necessity we have to keep him long, long after he is past his best?

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Alston point is fair enough.  But could we not have also sacrificed Bannigans wage to have attempted to keep the others?  Or is it an necessity we have to keep him long, long after he is past his best?

Would have given Banzo a year ,doesn’t really matter where the money came from , but at the moment the midfield looks overloaded

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Need to calm down a bit JJ , I know it was your friend that got sacked , unfortunately if IM had been sacked earlier after losing 6 games on the trot including Cove and Hamilton at home I believe we would have got automatic promotion.

We lost 4 players from last season, definitely 2 who wanted to play Premier League and got their moves ( Tiff and Turner ) the other 2 players Doc and Kevin Holt got offered double their Wages to play at the same level , the big mistake was not giving either of these 2 players some sort of deal .

IMO I would given Ross Docherty the gig ,he controlled things for us , Dools should have sacrificed a player to give Doc the wages he was after ( Do we need Alston ?)

Doolan’s record is good , only 3 or 4 losses in 25/26 games 

I hope supporters realise this season was always going to transitional , we were never going to replace the players who left with like for like due to budget cuts because of the overspend from the previous Board and Management.

We’re only 2 League games into the season and possibly we should all calm down a bit .

Doolan has made mistakes already but I’m sure he’ll learn quickly.

A Manager will be judged on results 

the facts are - we got into the playoffs due to results on the last day going in our favour 

we did not get promoted 

we keep throwing away games in the last 20 minutes 

Hearts didnt get out of 2nd Gear 

the start of this Season looks & feels like the Season we got relegated from the Premier - overconfidence and complacency on the park and off it  

Bannigan is Thistle's great "hanger-on." Definitely not the sole reason for our recent results, but certainly a contributing factor. Absolutely bang-average in almost every element of his game, yet is still a guaranteed starter every week. I think his injury at the tail end of last season demonstrates that we are a far more fluid team when he isn't in it.

Same question of loyalty can be raised for Graham too. Great over the past couple of seasons, but has started poorly this year. We do have options on the bench, and Dools needs to be brave enough to shake it up if Graham isn't cutting it, rather than persisting with "automatic" starters. I always found it quite telling that Archibald stated one of his regrets as Thistle manager was the unjustified "loyalty" towards certain players. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Bannigan is Thistle's great "hanger-on." Definitely not the sole reason for our recent results, but certainly a contributing factor. Absolutely bang-average in almost every element of his game, yet is still a guaranteed starter every week. I think his injury at the tail end of last season demonstrates that we are a far more fluid team when he isn't in it.

Same question of loyalty can be raised for Graham too. Great over the past couple of seasons, but has started poorly this year. We do have options on the bench, and Dools needs to be brave enough to shake it up if Graham isn't cutting it, rather than persisting with "automatic" starters. I always found it quite telling that Archibald stated one of his regrets as Thistle manager was the unjustified "loyalty" towards certain players. 

Graham should be dropped for that own goal yesterday. At the game you think it is unfortunate,  but when you see it on jagszone it is really bad.

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I actually think one of McCalls mistakes was loyalty to certain players such as Bannigan as well

12 hours ago, elevenone said:

Re Airdrie we where not winning with 20 to go.  Airdrie equalised in 63rd min then took lead in 70th min so my original point stands that outwith 2nd leg PO final, Dools has only lost a 2 nil lead match once.  Crux of matter is are you calling for him to be relieved of his duties on back of losing away (badly yes) to arguably one of Scotlands top 4 teams in last 16 of cup having won group stage to get there?

OK - 30 Minutes to go against Airdrie 

Lost a 2 Goal Lead to Raith Rovers  - Similar Timing 

Three Goal Lead in the Play Offs - Similar timing 

Thats called a pattern 

I've not called for him to be sacked - Ive said its a results driven Business & we have to stop accepting poor performances - because the Manager was a "Legend" as a Player  

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Agree 100% - Alex Ferguson was ruthless and Managers should learn from that 

Ive honestly never got what Bannigan has done to earn repeated Contract renewals  

• Like 1