Our support

geecee

13 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Thanks, BB,

I hope they give the average number of busses per club in their response to the Commissioner. With the potential loss of revenue for home clubs and bus operators,  at the very least a deminimis figure of , say, 5 busses takes out most of Scottish football- leaving you know who with the need to comply!

I suspect the Match Commander or whichever officer gets lumbered with this will be happy with that.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The proposals certainly feel like a political intervention for no apparent reason. 
On the other hand, how many away days would the proposals actually affect Thistle buses eg

Every single one.

1) Our bus providers would be wary about the implications for their licences (rightly so).

2) The authorities would go after low-hanging fruit (us and those like us who have a decent travelling support) before they would ever look at the ugly sisters' travelling bands.

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Every single one.

1) Our bus providers would be wary about the implications for their licences (rightly so).

2) The authorities would go after low-hanging fruit (us and those like us who have a decent travelling support) before they would ever look at the ugly sisters' travelling bands.

What I meant was, how many trips do the buses get there more than 2 hours(and less than 1) before kick off and stop somewhere along the way.

Ah, I remember the good old days of early morning departures for Aberdeen, with stops at Auchterarder (chips and carry-out) and maybe somewhere else nearer Aberdeen (chips and carry-out), and then staying on their for several hours after the game (purely for drinking), and not getting back to Drumchapel (on the Whiteinch bus) until nearly 2 am on Sunday morning.

13 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ah, I remember the good old days of early morning departures for Aberdeen, with stops at Auchterarder (chips and carry-out) and maybe somewhere else nearer Aberdeen (chips and carry-out), and then staying on their for several hours after the game (purely for drinking), and not getting back to Drumchapel (on the Whiteinch bus) until nearly 2 am on Sunday morning.

I remember in the late sixties when we (the team) werenae very good, the Whiteinch and Maryhill branches of the PTSA shared a bus to Arbroath. The bus couldn't leave until the bus convener went to the local dance palais to encourage some of the boys that it was time to go home.

12 hours ago, fifexile said:

I can see a lot of fans switching to the train where they can generally bevvy away to their hearts content

Alcohol is currently banned on all ScotRail services - although the onus for policing this is put on train staff who - quite rightly - might not wish to engage with some of the more aggressive elements who wish to imbibe - the role of the BTP not-with-standing.

Seems a bit unfair to other train passengers for their journeys to be impacted by the potential misbehaviour of others though. 

Edited by JeanieD

22 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Alcohol is currently banned on all ScotRail services - although the onus for policing this is put on train staff who - quite rightly - might not wish to engage with some of the more aggressive elements who wish to imbibe - the role of the BTP not-with-standing.

Seems a bit unfair to other train passengers for their journeys to be impacted by the potential misbehaviour of others though. 

Usual rules apply. One person opens a can a beer they'll maybe get ticked off. A dozen folk open countless cans and bottles nothing will be said. Completely understand that from the railway staff point of view. Besides it's hardly just football fans that drink alcohol on trains. God help any Scot Rail staff if they're ever daft enough to confront a hen party heading to Queen St from Alloa! 😀

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Usual rules apply. One person opens a can a beer they'll maybe get ticked off. A dozen folk open countless cans and bottles nothing will be said. Completely understand that from the railway staff point of view. Besides it's hardly just football fans that drink alcohol on trains. God help any Scot Rail staff if they're ever daft enough to confront a hen party heading to Queen St from Alloa! 😀

Do I take it from this that you have participated in Hen Party shenanigans on a Glasgow-Alloa train, dear Lady?!!!!!!  😱

Worth pointing out three things I think:

(1) This consultation is from an independent regulator. Although it’s published on the UK Government website the powers of the Traffic Commissioners are exercised independently of the UK Government. This is over officious do gooder behaviour rather than a party political agenda. I see even Douglas Ross has condemned the plans.

(2) The proposed rules around both pubs and stadium parking are likely to have the opposite of the desired effect. If you don’t let supporters’ buses go to the pub, you’re obviously going to get more fans sneaking bevvy on the bus itself, in a less controlled environment to prevent drunkenness at the game. You’re also going to drastically increase Police Scotland’s administrative burden even if they’re minded to grant consents in a common sense way. This is treating a Thistle visit to Dingwall like Millwall going to Elland Road.

(3) Fundamentally, it’s revealing that a consultation that claims to be about regulating travel to and from sporting events generally is, in fact, only proposing restrictions on football fans. This is a continuation of a trend where football fans are demonised for (big ticket fixtures aside) posing no more and arguably less of a risk to public order and safety than (say) a crowd at Scotstoun or Murrayfield.

The mind still absolutely boggles that the Glasgow Warriors could serve pints of Heineken, at a 10k capacity match at Firhill, that you could drink at your seat, but it’s strictly forbidden anywhere in the ground for a pre-season friendly against Berwick Rangers with 1/10 the people in attendance on a sunny July evening.

Football’s promoters are always asking why fans don’t stay in the stadium footprint before and after games unlike other sports? That they can get served a pint round the corner until kick off is about 70% of the reason why.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The mind still absolutely boggles that the Glasgow Warriors could serve pints of Heineken, at a 10k capacity match at Firhill, that you could drink at your seat, but it’s strictly forbidden anywhere in the ground for a pre-season friendly against Berwick Rangers with 1/10 the people in attendance on a sunny July evening.

Football’s promoters are always asking why fans don’t stay in the stadium footprint before and after games unlike other sports? That they can get served a pint round the corner until kick off is about 70% of the reason why.

Thank you for articulating that analysis WJ.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

..The mind still absolutely boggles that the Glasgow Warriors could serve pints of Heineken, at a 10k capacity match at Firhill, that you could drink at your seat, but it’s strictly forbidden anywhere in the ground for a pre-season friendly against Berwick Rangers with 1/10 the people in attendance on a sunny July evening.

The last game I attended - in Germany. (Face obscured to spare the blushes of my younger son, who has not bought a season ticket. 😶) Pilsner and Currywurst, for the bon vivants anxious to know.

Food&drink.png

27 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

The last game I attended - in Germany. (Face obscured to spare the blushes of my younger son, who has not bought a season ticket. 😶) Pilsner and Currywurst, for the bon vivants anxious to know.

Food&drink.png

Looks like the two gentlemen in the background may have been enjoying rather too many Pilsners and Currywursts over the years.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Food&drink.png

Germany does football attendance in style. A few years ago I was able to book tickets to see Hertha Berlin v Augsburg from the UK - and then sit with a litre of beer in the sunshine watching the game. 

On 9/5/2023 at 3:57 PM, QXBoy said:

Unbe(effin)lievable. Talkj about a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Love the bit about having to arrive not more than 2 hours before and not less than 1 hour before the start. Just plain daft.

How are Berwick fans travelling to Brora this weekend supposed to arrive in that exact 1 hour window, without being able to stop somewhere near(ish) to the ground ? The amount of havoc those Berwick fans arriving late/early must be a real concern for the authorities