If you didn't support Thistle in Scotland, who would you support?

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I stay in Renfrew about a mile from Braehead so i could go and watch the hockey. I am not far from Renfrew juniors and about 4 miles from St. Mirren. After supporting Thistle for nigh on 60 years i could not have the same passion or enthusiasm to go to any of the aforementioned as i have for supporting Thistle.

So for me i would be an armchair supporter.  

What level of the pyramid are Armchair FC in?

22 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

After Falkirk, my other choice would be C.D. Tenerife, but they play in Santa Cruz, a wee bit far to travel..I have been  quite a few times times while on holiday in Las America's, I was there 3 weeks ago and saw them v Real Zaragoza,  21000.. attendance what an atmosphere.....

If we are going far flung CS Maritimo in Madeira would be my choice. Cracking 10k all seater stadium close to Funchal town centre, cheap tickets (€15-€25) for most games and the option to have a beer. Oh, and the weather is great all year round.

Edited by fifexile
Typo

21 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I stay in Renfrew about a mile from Braehead so i could go and watch the hockey. I am not far from Renfrew juniors and about 4 miles from St. Mirren. After supporting Thistle for nigh on 60 years i could not have the same passion or enthusiasm to go to any of the aforementioned as i have for supporting Thistle.

So for me i would be an armchair supporter.  

Wycombe Wanderers are the "Chairboys", but I would have thought that Balaklava FC in the Adelaide Plains League in Australia would have been more up your street.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fifexile said:

If we are going far flung CS Maritimo in Madeira would be my choice. Cracking 10k all seater stadium close to Funchal town centre, cheap tickets (€15-€25) for most games and the option to have a beer. Oh, and the weather is great all year round.

Aye, but what are the pies like?

When I was younger I recall my father, a Morton supporter, talking in very favourable terms about Third Lanark and Cathkin Park. He thought they were an iconic club, great strip%colours, legendary forward trio of Hilley, Harvey and Gray, and best playing surface in Scotland.

We decided to go to Cathkin to see a summer evening midweek game  Third Lanark v Morton. By this time Thirds were in decline and Morton on the rise. The score 3-1 for Morton. There was a good crowd and atmosphere and had I not been a Jag I could easily have become  a Thirds supporter. I could sense they were a special club and Cathkin was a special place.

It was sad and criminal that the Scottish Football authorities allowed this great club to disappear.

So my answer is this if the Jags disappeared then I would turn my back on football. There is no alternative for me.

On 9/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, Lenziejag said:

I used to along to watch Kirkintilloch Rob Roy now and again, but they have been displaced and I am not sure where they play now. So not sure if I would go anywhere.

Play in Cumbrrnauld now.  Supposedly moving into a new park down where there used to be pitches at "The Luggie" on Waterside Road.  They were promised to moved to near Lairdsland School but that was 10 years ago and never materialised.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

When I was younger I recall my father, a Morton supporter, talking in very favourable terms about Third Lanark and Cathkin Park. He thought they were an iconic club, great strip%colours, legendary forward trio of Hilley, Harvey and Gray, and best playing surface in Scotland.

We decided to go to Cathkin to see a summer evening midweek game  Third Lanark v Morton. By this time Thirds were in decline and Morton on the rise. The score 3-1 for Morton. There was a good crowd and atmosphere and had I not been a Jag I could easily have become  a Thirds supporter. I could sense they were a special club and Cathkin was a special place.

It was sad and criminal that the Scottish Football authorities allowed this great club to disappear.

So my answer is this if the Jags disappeared then I would turn my back on football. There is no alternative for me.

I was at Cathkin for a Thirds v Morton friendly on a sunny summer evening where an un-named goalkeeper oppeared as a trialist for Morton. This guy wore all black (shirt, shorts, socks) and, since nobody other than Morton knew his name became well known thereafter as "the man in black". Very well known after - Erik Sorensen. .Does that ring any bells "exiledjag"?

3 hours ago, QXBoy said:

I was at Cathkin for a Thirds v Morton friendly on a sunny summer evening where an un-named goalkeeper oppeared as a trialist for Morton. This guy wore all black (shirt, shorts, socks) and, since nobody other than Morton knew his name became well known thereafter as "the man in black". Very well known after - Erik Sorensen. .Does that ring any bells "exiledjag"?

I was 14 when I went to see the hi hi. Don't remember any games but I'm sure Andy Roxburgh played for them. I'm sure sorenson  was the first goalkeeper in Scotland to wear  the all black strip 

On 9/15/2023 at 12:06 PM, fifexile said:

They have a cracking home top. Red & Green stripes 

Edited by sandy