Thistle vs Morton

Lenziejag

Think most games just now will depend on just how combative our opponents are in in midfield. That, and just how we go about countering our lack of muscle in that area. If McMillan's back and firing on all cylinders then we've strength down both flanks and can really stretch Morton and nullify our main weakness to some extent.

Think most times we depend on too many players being on top form and that's why our results are so erratic. Likes of Lawless, Milne, McInroy, Fitzpatrick are key players, all of whom we need to perform. We don't as a rule do the win ugly thingy.  

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think most times we depend on too many players being on top form and that's why our results are so erratic. Likes of Lawless, Milne, McInroy, Fitzpatrick are key players, all of whom we need to perform. We don't as a rule do the win ugly thingy.  

Though we have been managing to draw ugly recently, which is at least something

• Like 2

What worries me most about tomorrow's match is whether pttv will give access to the video (already paid for) before half time, whether we'll get to see any goals or will the video be refreshing when they happen (like last time), and how many random clips of old matches will be on the screen because the live action has cut out (yet again).

Edited by Jaggernaut

Our lack of strengh in midfield and the consequences of this have been well documented  by many posters on this site.

I wasn't impressed by Williams  early in the season but as a right back I have to give him credit and say he has impressed. However favour McMillan as he and Lawless offer us  dangerous attacking threat.

Williams is a big strong player and in recent games has shown he is a footballer. Would he be an optoon for our midfield  say playing as a No. 4 but mainly in a defensive and ball winning role.

For example (4-4-1-1 formation)

Sneddon

McMillan/M'head/Neilson/Milne

L'les/Williams/McInroy/Fitzpstrick

Adeloye

Graham

I envisage Williams winning the ball, passing it to  Mcinroy (for exsmple) and as we attack he stays back with Muirhead and Neilson. I also think Adeloye has enough football in him and mobility to cope with the role of playing behind and supporting Grahem.

Perhaps the above is evidence supporting why I will never make a football manager!!

Any thoughts.

55 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

@exiledjag

Your formation doesn't include Bannigan, so not feasible. Maybe McInroy in Adeloye position and Banniganin McInroy's. more of a 4-5-1

OK   i zee your point of view.

I think we should as a team be moving beyond the tactics where we plan to play everything through Bannigan

So in making my suggestion Bannigan "s omissions  was deliberate. I feel he slows down our attacking efforts. Everytime I see him and even when he has been playing well, there have been occasions when he has passed the ball  to the side even when there has been a forward pass option.

A major criticism of how we play is that we are too slow moving forward. I was trying to address this with my formation and leaving out Bannigan as we have proved under Doolan that when we get forward quickly we score goals.

Thank you for your response as I note it  is made with a view to supporting my Williams suggestion.

Although Morton are bottom of the league this won't be an easy game. I watched most of their game against Dunfermline on BBC Scotland last week and Morton were not great in the first half but vastly improved in the second and were unlucky not to get a draw at least.

As has already been mentioned we will need just about every player to be playing at the top of their game and hopefully that will be enough to get 3 points.

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I think we should as a team be moving beyond the tactics where we plan to play everything through Bannigan

So in making my suggestion Bannigan "s omissions  was deliberate. I feel he slows down our attacking efforts. Everytime I see him and even when he has been playing well, there have been occasions when he has passed the ball  to the side even when there has been a forward pass option.

A major criticism of how we play is that we are too slow moving forward. I was trying to address this with my formation and leaving out Bannigan as we have proved under Doolan that when we get forward quickly we score goals.

Thank you for your response as I note it  is made with a view to supporting my Williams suggestion.

I'd stick by the same team/positions as last week with the possible exception of McMillan for Williams. But if you drop Bannigan surely he has to be replaced by another centre mid? We're weak enough there without going a man down in that area. Btw Young Stanway played very well at Gayfield.

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'd stick by the same team/positions as last week with the possible exception of McMillan for Williams. But if you drop Bannigan surely he has to be replaced by another centre mid? We're weak enough there without going a man down in that area. Btw Young Stanway played very well at Gayfield.

Stanway has been pretty good most games he has played. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights against Arbroath. I expect him to be a bit inconsistent this season - a few good games and then a poor one. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exiledjag said:

My suggestion was tongue in cheek. Bannigan will not get dropped unless injured or suspended. 

15 hours ago, dl1971 said:

By all accounts we we played very well last week and could have scored far more than 3. Why change a winning team, albeit it is possible mcmillan may go straight back in? 

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree that we should not change a winning team.

My suggestion of looking at Williams as our strong ball winning , defensive midfielder  wasn't meant for the Morton game. I apologise for not making this clear.  Williams suitability for this role has to be worked on and tested on the training pitch before being tried out in an actual gane. The suggestion was made with a view to being tried out before the January transfer window and if it works it saves us some monet that might be spent elsewhere.

As for the Morton game I wouldn't bring McMillan back I would give him a place on the bench.

Best of luck to all Jags for today's game.

41 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I agree that we should not change a winning team.

My suggestion of looking at Williams as our strong ball winning , defensive midfielder  wasn't meant for the Morton game. I apologise for not making this clear.  Williams suitability for this role has to be worked on and tested on the training pitch before being tried out in an actual gane. The suggestion was made with a view to being tried out before the January transfer window and if it works it saves us some monet that might be spent elsewhere.

As for the Morton game I wouldn't bring McMillan back I would give him a place on the bench.

Best of luck to all Jags for today's game.

Sorry if I misread you, exiledjag. Your suggestion about trying Wasiri in defensive mid has value. Aero has played in that role but not too successfully. Probably best suited would be NeiIson.  I saw him play there briefly and he looked the part. He's got a turn of pace and regularly shows he's comfortable on the ball. The downside to that tho' is too much. Would mean breaking up the current centreback partnership, which is the best we got. A kinder way of saying playing Wasiri at centreback  rings alarm bells.

Williams did show at Gayfield that's he's not too uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. So he just could be a part answer at least to the midfield problem.

I thought his one touch control of the long diagonal ball from Muirhead, which also took out the defender was excellent. He complimented this by then hitting an excellent ball across the goal which Grahsm would have scored from if he had hit the ball up into the net rather than along the ground.

We really don't need him to be on the ball just to break up attacks and when he wins the ball give it to McInroy.