Raith at Kirkcaldy

Lenziejag

On 12/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, exiledjag said:

...We need

Defensive midfield player, (Docherty)...

On 12/9/2023 at 10:58 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

...our ball winning ability is poor and picking up second and/or intercepting balls more to our taste....

On 12/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, King Kenny said:

...Williams unlucky to be dropped, perhaps he deserves a start over Muirhead in his favoured position in the next game...

The thing that has impressed me about Williams is his ability to steal the ball from opponents. Could he be the defensive midfielder that is needed? As a player used to defending, he might fulfil this role.

On 12/10/2023 at 5:45 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Go back 6 months and I'd have been delighted to think we would be in third place. In all honesty I'd have been pleased to be third bottom. I worried about having to rebuild our side and introduce the younger lads to regular first team football. 

I doubt there'll be any complacency within the squad. In fact I sense we're a bit the other way, running hot and cold confidence wise.

Absolutely this. I saw this season as being a transitional one for Dools to bed in his blend of experience & youth. We are ahead of where I thought we would be 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dpj said:

Crazy statistic! If games ended after 75 mins we would be top and Raith 8th

Its a stat that tends to re-enforce what we see on a Saturday i.e. that we like to sit on leads in the last 15 minutes rather than taking forward the age old strategy that attack is the best form of defence.

It would be interesting to see a similar table of who has lost points from a winning position no matter when the opposition goal was scored.

11 minutes ago, laukat said:

Its a stat that tends to re-enforce what we see on a Saturday i.e. that we like to sit on leads in the last 15 minutes rather than taking forward the age old strategy that attack is the best form of defence.

I'm sure you're correct. The only other reason could be fitness/stamina issues. Tend to think that won't be the case, especially with so many subs these days. Tho' of course if you're backing off, ceding possession, you tend to tire faster than a team with the lion's share of the ball.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm sure you're correct. The only other reason could be fitness/stamina issues. Tend to think that won't be the case, especially with so many subs these days. Tho' of course if you're backing off, ceding possession, you tend to tire faster than a team with the lion's share of the ball.

Was thinking that it would be either fitness or that the subs are not fitting in to the team adequately.

20 hours ago, laukat said:

It would be interesting to see a similar table of who has lost points from a winning position no matter when the opposition goal was scored.

I don't think it is a conscious decision to sit on leads though. I think it's a consequence of having no decent defensive midfielder. This means that, when the opposition are chasing the game, we struggle to break up the play and hold on to the ball, never mind mount meaningful attacks. Connected to this, is the simple fact that we concede far too many goals full stop. This means that we are bound to lose goals in games late on regardless of anything else.

In addition, one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at the 7 points lost in the final 15, compared to the other teams, is just how often the other teams were in a position to lose points in the final 15 to begin with. I mean, Arbroath losing only 2 points in the final 15 would mean little if they only had gone into the final 15 level twice and behind the remaining games (to give an extreme hypothetical example). Just to be clear, I've no idea how much the other teams had to lose going into the final 15.

In any case, hopefully these problems will be satisfactorily addressed in the coming window.

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You have to admire them as it can't be just luck. I expect that part of it is mentality and having done it before they can do it again.

A lot of the time, it's simply being the better side. Holding on against superior opposition is difficult, which is why top teams regularly score last minute winners/equalisers. Raith and DU seem to be clearly ahead of the rest, at least for now. Also, (connected to your point of "having done it before they can do it again") is the effect on the opposition. When you build up a reputation for late goals, this will also prey on the minds of the opposition, possibly making them a little more prone to error/panic.

44 minutes ago, jaggy said:

As long as I can remember we’ve always sat back on leads late on. I’m not sure if we do it more than any other teams at our level

Maybe getting involved in semantics. Even the best of teams will want to defend a lead, insomuch as they'll "sit back" and try to see a game out. It's more to the point we don't do it well. Many teams may well back off, even defend deep to protect a lead. But it's what they do with the ball once they gain possession. I doubt it's in any manual to immediately punt the ball back to your opponents.  

In days gone by I can remember St Johnstone and Ross County being very effective in managing 1-0 leads against us. Once they scored it was like game over.

I cannot say that they sat back on leads but they just killed the game so that nothing interesting happened and Thistle could never build up any head of steam or get the fans excited and engaged. This was combined with extreme time wasting, going down with injuries, collapsing whenever touched and retaining the ball at the corner flag for minutes at a time. 

These are all things Thistle have never been any good at, so I think it is always better for us to play constructively just as if we were not winning.