January Transfer Window

JAG1970

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

More senior players you tend to pay around 50% maybe not as much, if anything for youth/ young players.

Then you get the likes of Dowds where its safe to say Ayr are paying the majority if not 100% of his wages.

Apparently we rejected the option to recall Anton last month.

We freed up Antons wages to sign Wes and Tomi. Our scouting needs to improve. Too many of our signings in summer were hopeful punts.

I fear this window will be the same, unless they have played for us before.

1 hour ago, erty13 said:

We freed up Antons wages to sign Wes and Tomi. Our scouting needs to improve. Too many of our signings in summer were hopeful punts.

I fear this window will be the same, unless they have played for us before.

Ever the optimist, you have to bear in mind the context for our summer signings. Doolan had his hands full with the play-offs and didn't know what we needed until late on. McDonald and the likes were punts.

As for this window, he's had more time to prepare, but decent established pros are thin on the ground in January. Likely to be loans and likes of McBeth.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

....and in this instance a case of If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well It were done quickly. 👍

... and the other McBeth signing was!

Should we refer to him as the Scottish player? 

Edited by AirdrieJag
  • Like 1

Happy enough with that signing. Even if it doesn't work out, I'd still rather we looked at younger players from the Juniors rather than pish English League Two journeymen. Playing in the juniors, I'm hoping he's a bit of a *******. 

I really hope this is the beginning of a comprehensive and cohesive recruitment strategy as opposed to a hodgepodge of Archibald-like panic signings. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

On a similar thought, Jack has not signed an extension, I presume one has been offered, so I expect he will be off in the summer. Should we cash in now if we get an offer ?

That is a good question. I would hope we keep him (unless we get an offer of "silly money") as he does play an important role with his link up with Lawless and if that helps us get through the play offs then we can either offer him a new deal or he can leave with our best wishes.

15 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

That is a good question. I would hope we keep him (unless we get an offer of "silly money") as he does play an important role with his link up with Lawless and if that helps us get through the play offs then we can either offer him a new deal or he can leave with our best wishes.

It's an interesting one. When their link-up play works it's great to watch, and has been important for us, but an increasing number of people have suggested that other teams have sussed it out. You could argue that if they need to devote three or four people to deal with it then that leaves other spaces for us to exploit, and Lawless is definitely capable of whipping in unexpected and dangerous crosses.

I hope McMillan stays, but if an excellent offer came in and he expresses a desire to move, then so be it.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

It's an interesting one. When their link-up play works it's great to watch, and has been important for us, but an increasing number of people have suggested that other teams have sussed it out. You could argue that if they need to devote three or four people to deal with it then that leaves other spaces for us to exploit, and Lawless is definitely capable of whipping in unexpected and dangerous crosses.

I hope McMillan stays, but if an excellent offer came in and he expresses a desire to move, then so be it.

My thought was that say Hearts had offered him a PCA (they have been rumoured to be watching him) then maybe a deal could be done to take him early and maybe we get someone in return, or some better than average loans

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think it's inevitable that other teams suss the Lawless, McMillan play. We need a bit more variety to our attacking plays and as was mentioned elsewhere, more threat through the centre - either a more creative 10, or by playing 2 up front.

Would like a player to really make the 10 position their own. It has quite happened yet.

54 minutes ago, fenski said:

I think it's inevitable that other teams suss the Lawless, McMillan play. We need a bit more variety to our attacking plays and as was mentioned elsewhere, more threat through the centre - either a more creative 10, or by playing 2 up front.

Would like a player to really make the 10 position their own. It has quite happened yet.

I can't fathom why Robinson isn't being tried out there more, from the start of games. He was tremendous there for Killie against us not too long ago.

Alston blows hot and (very) cold, whereas McInroy, for all his evident talents, drifts through games and has the least urgency I've seen in a player for years.

Edited by MarciaBlaine

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I wonder what the situation is with Mitchell ? He can’t be happy with the game time he is getting and it seems like a luxury to have 2 first team keepers. I wonder if he might be off and a young loan keeper brought in as cover for Sneddon who is clearly first choice 

Despite being told we have a fully fit squad (aside from Ngwenya) Mitchell has not been on the subs bench the last couple of games 

edit - he has a knock

Edited by JAG1970

Sneddon and Mitchell are both mediocre goalkeepers, and are certainly not title winning. However, unlike Gallagher and Hinchcliffe before him, Kenny Arthur inspires no confidence in developing young keepers. The very idea of Arthur instructing Cerny was quite frankly embarrassing. I was almost certain that Arthur was moving on, and thought that would have presented an opportunity to bring something fresh to the coaching department.