January Transfer Window

JAG1970

I'm not sure there's an great fall out with Mitchell or his agent. 

Whilst Sneddon has his faults I don't think we are talking a massive upgrade if Mitchell was number 1. Mitchell was signed on a 2 year deal at the time where the JLow clown show was throwing money at promotion so chances are he's on a decent wage or a contract that has appearance payments. Sneddon got a 1 year extension after the playoffs when money was tight so chances are Sneddon is on significantly less than Mitchell. 

When you add that Mitchell will shortly be 34 years old he's not someone who was likely to be part of the managers plans for next season. So maybe best for both parties that Mitchell leaves either on loan so we get part of his wages covered and he gets a chance to secure a contract at another club or a mutual termination is agreed so we release wages and he gets a chance to restart somewhere else.

Perhaps Doolan is just taking the pragmatic decision that he needs the budget to address other parts of the squad and in signing Stewart he has reasonable cover to summer and then he can decide if he keeps either of Sneddon, Stewart or decides to go for a proper number 1 with McCready as low cost backup?

I would like to think that with Stewart on board that Sneddon is more likely to be dropped and have to compete for number 1 otherwise we would have been better just going with McCready as cover and getting an emergency loan if either got a serious injury.

4 hours ago, laukat said:

I'm not sure there's an great fall out with Mitchell or his agent. 

Whilst Sneddon has his faults I don't think we are talking a massive upgrade if Mitchell was number 1. Mitchell was signed on a 2 year deal at the time where the JLow clown show was throwing money at promotion so chances are he's on a decent wage or a contract that has appearance payments. Sneddon got a 1 year extension after the playoffs when money was tight so chances are Sneddon is on significantly less than Mitchell. 

When you add that Mitchell will shortly be 34 years old he's not someone who was likely to be part of the managers plans for next season. So maybe best for both parties that Mitchell leaves either on loan so we get part of his wages covered and he gets a chance to secure a contract at another club or a mutual termination is agreed so we release wages and he gets a chance to restart somewhere else.

Perhaps Doolan is just taking the pragmatic decision that he needs the budget to address other parts of the squad and in signing Stewart he has reasonable cover to summer and then he can decide if he keeps either of Sneddon, Stewart or decides to go for a proper number 1 with McCready as low cost backup?

I would like to think that with Stewart on board that Sneddon is more likely to be dropped and have to compete for number 1 otherwise we would have been better just going with McCready as cover and getting an emergency loan if either got a serious injury.

Given Sneddon has been here for over 6 years I doubt very much he is on pennies at all.  Likely on a very decent wage.  Graham and Bannigan got contracts extensions when money was allegedly tight- do you think they are on pennies?

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Given Sneddon has been here for over 6 years I doubt very much he is on pennies at all.  Likely on a very decent wage.  Graham and Bannigan got contracts extensions when money was allegedly tight- do you think they are on pennies?

It was well publicised last summer that Sneddon had been given a 1 time take it or leave it 1 year contract extension in the immediate aftermath of our financial situation.

Lawless extended in November post external investment. Graham extended original after a transfer bid from Ayr and then again just recently.

So Graham and Lawless will not be on pennies. Sneddon will be be the least well paid of those and I would expect him to be cheaper than Mitchell.

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

It was well publicised last summer that Sneddon had been given a 1 time take it or leave it 1 year contract extension in the immediate aftermath of our financial situation.

Lawless extended in November post external investment. Graham extended original after a transfer bid from Ayr and then again just recently.

So Graham and Lawless will not be on pennies. Sneddon will be be the least well paid of those and I would expect him to be cheaper than Mitchell.

Sneddon was offered a 1 year deal yes.  He was offered same time as Bannigan.  Do you think Bannigan is on pennies?  Sneddon has been here 6 years do you think he is on pennies?  Your comment about take it or leave it contract makes little sense as pretty much every player is offered a contract and will either take it or leave it

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Sneddon was offered a 1 year deal yes.  He was offered same time as Bannigan.  Do you think Bannigan is on pennies?  Sneddon has been here 6 years do you think he is on pennies?  Your comment about take it or leave it contract makes little sense as pretty much every player is offered a contract and will either take it or leave it

Bannigan was given a 2 year extension , Sneddon was given a 1 year extension so not really comparing like for like, however given Bannigan has been here for a lot longer than Sneddon and Graham and Lawless does that make him the best paid player in the team? If not does then your point about Sneddon being here 6 years makes no impact on the wage he earns.

My point isn't and never has been is Jamie Sneddon on pennies. My point was he is probably significantly cheaper than Mitchell. If you think Sneddon is on close to or the same as Mitchell fair play but I'd be surprised.

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

Bannigan was given a 2 year extension , Sneddon was given a 1 year extension so not really comparing like for like, however given Bannigan has been here for a lot longer than Sneddon and Graham and Lawless does that make him the best paid player in the team? If not does then your point about Sneddon being here 6 years makes no impact on the wage he earns.

My point isn't and never has been is Jamie Sneddon on pennies. My point was he is probably significantly cheaper than Mitchell. If you think Sneddon is on close to or the same as Mitchell fair play but I'd be surprised.

Yeah I think Sneddon will be on same as Mitchell- both are considered to be number ones and due to his length of service I think will be the same.  I do agree with you he will be on less than Bannigan, Graham and Lawless but as I say think he will be on same as Mitchell 

More rumours:

Dundee United are leading the race to sign talented Queen’s Park skipper Dom Thomas.

The 27-year-old has been a bright light for struggling Spiders and pitched in with a vital goal in Friday’s 2-1 win over Dunfermline.

That’s alerted a host of Championship rivals and sparked a bidding war to land the former
Scotland Under-21 star.

Title favourites Dundee United look the winger’s most likely destination but league leaders Raith Rovers and Partick Thistle are also interested.

It’s understood that all three clubs have contacted Queen’s Park and are willing to pay a fee for the winger.

Spiders will wait for the best offer but it’s understood that Thomas would prefer a move to the Tannadice outfit.

Tangerines boss Jim Goodwin is eager to bolster his side’s attack this month and views Thomas – who had spells at Motherwell, Kilmarnock and the Pars – as key to United’s bid to bounce straight back up to the Premiership.

Jags boss Kris Doolan is also desperate to add more firepower.

6 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Don Thomas is a very good player and the wheels on the QP bus are def falling off.  Maybe they progressed too quickly?  Just don't think we can pay any transfer fees.

I’m hoping him being Glasgow based would give us an advantage 

23 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Thomas would be a great signing for us, exactly what we need. A real threat from distance too. Fingers crossed! 

If we signed him, he could change his name to John and be the third leg of our attack.

Of course, come end of season we could offer him an extension ;)

I've often thought Thomas would be a great addition.

Having said that, recruiting a number 10 when we have McIntory, Alston, Robinson and Lyon picking up a wage feels like overkill. I'd be happier if we were trimming the squad in that area before recruiting there, or sticking with what we have.

If he's signed for the wing, I'd again question the need when we have Lawless and Fitzy who are both better than him imo (though, to reiterate, I do rate him highly).

Thomas feels like the right answer to the wrong question.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Having said that, recruiting a number 10 when we have McIntory, Alston, Robinson and Lyon picking up a wage feels like overkill. I'd be happier if we were trimming the squad in that area before recruiting there, or sticking with what we have.

If he's signed for the wing, I'd again question the need when we have Lawless and Fitzy who are both better than him imo (though, to reiterate, I do rate him highly).

Have to agree that he is a great player and one that I would love to see in a Thistle shirt. My concern is that it would use up resources when we have far more urgent priorities to address. We have already wasted some of them on a 4th keeper. If there is some way we can land him (and Paton) in the summer I’d be very happy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieD said:

Financially and for the sake of his career I suspect we might not be his first choice. 
He looks a fine player and Queens will certainly miss him should he move elsewhere 

It’s been reported today that Dundee United are not pursuing Thomas.  Of course who knows if there’s truth in whether we are linked or not

2 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Those 3 are decent players but Thomas or for that matter Turner would be an upgrade on the 3 of them to be honest.  2 of them are also contracted only till the end of the season as well 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Have to agree that he is a great player and one that I would love to see in a Thistle shirt. My concern is that it would use up resources when we have far more urgent priorities to address. We have already wasted some of them on a 4th keeper. If there is some way we can land him (and Paton) in the summer I’d be very happy 

As said Thomas would be an upgrade on what we have.  Alston, McInroy, Lyon and Robinson are all decent but they are not the same quality as Don Thomas.  2 could be away in summer.  Can we guarantee Robinson will be injury free when he has so far not proven to be and Lyon has still a bit to do

49 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Those 3 are decent players but Thomas or for that matter Turner would be an upgrade on the 3 of them to be honest.  2 of them are also contracted only till the end of the season as well 

Yeah I agree but as @Dick Dastardly says I'm quibbling based on a question of allocating resources rather than disliking him as a player. I've seen him play better than 3 of the 4 potential number 10s I mentioned in my post, the exception being Robinson - though that was for Killie, not us!