January Transfer Window

JAG1970

43 minutes ago, elevenone said:

not surprised but do think he would have been better retained in squad for rest of season.  gl at east fife james.

Personally I can't quite understand why he's had such few opportunities after such a positive start to the season. The fact that Doolan quotes McBeth may be a big clue? I would also argue he's the most technically gifted player in the squad after Lawless

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I think James Lyon's build could be what is holding him back. Let's hope he gets plenty of game time and he comes back ready to challenge for a first team place next season.

My thoughts too AJ, but if he’s good enough no reason he can’t make it

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Proof in the pudding but if James gets regular starting at Methil as opposed to a handful of cameo roles with us then this is a reasonable move. Problem being that regular games with East Fife won't secure a regular start for us next season. 

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I would have thought an educated woman like yourself would get something basic like that right.

15 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I think James Lyon's build could be what is holding him back. Let's hope he gets plenty of game time and he comes back ready to challenge for a first team place next season.

Fairly sure you're on the right track. We're lightweight in midfield (certainly defensively), so every substitution in midfield will require the oncoming player to attempt to provide some sort of defensive work. James is probably the least equipped in that department so misses out. 

Perhaps if East Fife are relatively sound in defence this move will work out. Conversely if they're too delicate an outfit James could be the type of midfielder to be sacrificed. Hopefully that isn't going to be the case. 

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fairly sure you're on the right track. We're lightweight in midfield (certainly defensively), so every substitution in midfield will require the oncoming player to attempt to provide some sort of defensive work. James is probably the least equipped in that department so misses out. 

Perhaps if East Fife are relatively sound in defence this move will work out. Conversely if they're too delicate an outfit James could be the type of midfielder to be sacrificed. Hopefully that isn't going to be the case. 

I think though and as cruel as it may be if he can't shine at that level at his age, irrespective of his build, it is hard to see how he how could ever be a success at our level. 

Not trying to be negative and I really hope he is a success there and comes back with next season ready to kick on with us. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:23 AM, Derby Jag said:

I think though and as cruel as it may be if he can't shine at that level at his age, irrespective of his build, it is hard to see how he how could ever be a success at our level. 

Not trying to be negative and I really hope he is a success there and comes back with next season ready to kick on with us. 

I do agree with you. James is no longer a teenager so probably past the "bulking up" stage we often see with players in their late teens.

More as a generalisation it is not unusual for a player whose footballing ability is not in question to fail on loan at a lower league side then go on to be successful with his parent club. Most often it's a case of being bullied off the ball playing for the former and being protected at the latter. Kinda like a ball player with zero pace being successful as the players round him more than compensate. Like Ross Forbes in our promotion season. Point I'm making is it's not just the level we send our youngsters out to. Gotta take into consideration how they'll fit into the team they're farmed out to*.

* edited to that I don't think that's always been the case with us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I do agree with you. James is no longer a teenager so probably past the "bulking up" stage we often see with players in their late teens.

More as a generalisation it is not unusual for a player whose footballing ability is not in question to fail on loan at a lower league side then go on to be successful with his parent club. Most often it's a case of being bullied off the ball playing for the former and being protected at the latter. Kinda like a ball player with zero pace being successful as the players round him more than compensate. Like Ross Forbes in our promotion season. Point I'm making is it's not just the level we send our youngsters out to. Gotta take into consideration how they'll fit into the team they're farmed out to*.

In other words the team to which a player is being "farmed" out has to have the right agri-culture.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agreed - Kris Doolan was one of those players, very little impact at Clyde.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Lee Ashcroft who we were linked with has signed on loan with Raith Rovers till the end of the season 

Dunfermline were strongly linked with him. Quite a coup for the "Wee Team" over their neebors...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Posting here rather than starting a new thread:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/everton-tracking-partick-thistle-talent-32298681

Have not seen the U18s but when looking at the results on facebook his name features on a regular basis as a scorer.

Haven’t seen the lad but if Everton are keen I’m sure we’d all rather he got into our team in due course and got plenty of first team experience and hopefully a good fee if he moved on. Only need to look at Cameron (?) who went to Rangers but was released a year later.
But obviously can understand the lure of EPL and more money. 

On a totally unrelated topic I see David Beattie has joined the board of Ayr U…… scrub that… Ayr Rugby club! 

Edited by JAG1970