Thistle v Dunfermline 23rd Feb 2024

CotterJag

Officials were an absolute disgrace tonight. Totally changed the direction of the game twice, both times in Dunfermline’s favour. Second disallowed goal in particular was a farce. Linesman did not flag for offside. Why Ref even had to speak to him is unbelievable. Yes, goals we lost were all poor but if ours had stood it’s a totally different game. As a footnote not impressed with Stewart! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteppsJag said:

Officials were an absolute disgrace tonight. Totally changed the direction of the game twice, both times in Dunfermline’s favour. Second disallowed goal in particular was a farce. Linesman did not flag for offside. Why Ref even had to speak to him is unbelievable. Yes, goals we lost were all poor but if ours had stood it’s a totally different game. As a footnote not impressed with Stewart! 

defending clearly awful but can’t excuse officials. Dreadful. 

Just back from that. 

Shocking display. Desperately need a leader on the pitch, and some defenders. 

Guess that's the season over now. 

Officials were shocking too, nearly as bad as us. 

Wonder what new platitudes Dools will spout. 

Anybody still going to Ayr on tuesday !!

At least nobody can blame Sneddon for that!

Rant over!

Edited by JAGSMAN1968

Officiating aside, we’re just not up to much this year. 

Our defence is poor and our midfield offer nothing other than pedestrian sideways passes.

Once Fitzy has been hacked out the game, that’s us finished in an attacking sense. Sideways passes until someone hits a poor cross in to the box and we start again.

Adeloye offers nothing as a sub, can never get up to the speed of the match quick enough. 

We might still do enough to get to the playoffs but we’ll not be going anywhere based on the goals we concede.

Stewart distributes the ball quickly but seems very similar to Sneddon and Mitchell. 

A poor night all round, less said about the officials the better. 

4 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Officiating aside, we’re just not up to much this year. 

Our defence is poor and our midfield offer nothing other than pedestrian sideways passes.

Once Fitzy has been hacked out the game, that’s us finished in an attacking sense. Sideways passes until someone hits a poor cross in to the box and we start again.

Adeloye offers nothing as a sub, can never get up to the speed of the match quick enough. 

We might still do enough to get to the playoffs but we’ll not be going anywhere based on the goals we concede.

Stewart distributes the ball quickly but seems very similar to Sneddon and Mitchell. 

A poor night all round, less said about the officials the better. 

Our defence is poor, but we do score a load of goals - 47 in 24 games (and it should’ve been 49!), which suggests that the midfield must be doing something right. I still think we can sneak a promotion through the playoffs based on the number of goals that we score.

One thing to take home from the second disallowed goal-it’s worth remonstrating with the ref if a perceived decision goes against you. There was no way that goal was getting chalked off if Mehmet had shrugged his shoulders and threw the ball back to the centre. But because he acted as if the world’s worst decision had just occurred, he convinced the ref and lino to disallow a goal they were correctly going to allow.

• Like 1

I agree with most of what’s been said. Defence and officials cost us the game.

I don’t think Lawless played very well but to replace him with Robinson destroyed the shape completely. Felt sorry for striker Diack playing on the wing. Come on Kris, that was just daft.

Robinson should have replaced McInroy.

5 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

Was on my way up to this but the M77 was nose to tail. Turned round and watched it in the bar. Thank f***. Pretty poor performance and some  shocking decisions. I'm finding this all really painful. I know it's only a game but it hurts.

That’s the way I feel about it just now too. I just seem to have been on a downer since the disgraceful decisions at Dingwall and the last 2 games we’ve had more shockers go against us. This coupled with our shocking defence doesn’t make for pleasant watching. Really not enjoying it

For me the worst goal was their 1st. Regardless of the goalies inability to push the ball away from goal, the rest of the team were culpable. We had effectively cleared the ball, the Dunfermline defender wasn't that far the  halfway line. Lawless, who had sclaffed the ball upfield to him, for some reason ran away from the advancing player.  Not a single other player in our team had the gumption to get out and engage with him. Absolutely shocking standard of defending. 

Ref was abysmal, long time since I've seen officials so incompetent. Completely ruined a game of football. None of our players should be shaking hands with him at the end. If the Dunfermline Goalie could get out and influence the linesman why on earth weren't Doolan and McDonald doing the same? Would have been worth getting sent to the stand but we're just too nice

Doolan had a shocker tonight. Picking Stewart over Mitchell was a terrible decision. At halftime taking off Lawless was presumably due to injury but playing McInroy as a winger was bizarre when he could have put a more natural winger in MacKenzie on or changed formation. Throwing on Adeloye and Diack meant we started playing a 4-1-1-4 and we looked a total shambles. Presumably McMillan was subbed for Alston because of injury but by that stage we were playing 3-1-2-4 and created nothing.

The manager has a real problem with his substitutions. More often than not he's making the team worse. He also seems determined to play 2 wingers even when he doesn't have 2 wingers in a McCall-esque fashion. Serious questions about Doolan's ability to take us much further.

Muirhead needs dropped. 

Only bright spot was McBeth. Looks a proper ball winner

Tonight's game was a strong argument for VAR. In fairness, I was sure Graham was offside but the linesman didn't flag - did the ref convince him he should have?

We played well enough in the first half against a poor Dunfermline side but I still had the feeling that we might lose a game we should win comfortably. Without Lawless, we had nothing to offer on the right flank and again we lost soft goals - that's nine in the last 3 games. The substitutions had the look of frantic panic and once more our lack of fitness was an issue.

It was worth giving Stewart a start since we already know that Sneddon & Mitchell are no better than ok - I don't think he's an upgrade.  Muirhead made a bad misjudgement for their second goal - Neilson looks a classy player at times but he was poor at their third goal to add to his two errors for Livingston goals. Do we need a defensive coach?

Last season we had Tiffoney or Turner in the free role behind Graham - they both carried a threat and kept defenders occupied - McInroy doesn't really and Alston even less - I think that's part of the reason our midfield gets over-run and we lose so many goals.

When we had a full fit squad last season, we were the best team in the Division and showed that in the play-off games. There have been very few times this season when I've thought we were significantly better than the opposition. I'm not confident we're good enough to get through the play-offs...if we make them.

3 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Tonight's game was a strong argument for VAR. In fairness, I was sure Graham was offside but the linesman didn't flag - did the ref convince him he should have?

We played well enough in the first half against a poor Dunfermline side but I still had the feeling that we might lose a game we should win comfortably. Without Lawless, we had nothing to offer on the right flank and again we lost soft goals - that's nine in the last 3 games. The substitutions had the look of frantic panic and once more our lack of fitness was an issue.

It was worth giving Stewart a start since we already know that Sneddon & Mitchell are no better than ok - I don't think he's an upgrade.  Muirhead made a bad misjudgement for their second goal - Neilson looks a classy player at times but he was poor at their third goal to add to his two errors for Livingston goals. Do we need a defensive coach?

Last season we had Tiffoney or Turner in the free role behind Graham - they both carried a threat and kept defenders occupied - McInroy doesn't really and Alston even less - I think that's part of the reason our midfield gets over-run and we lose so many goals.

When we had a full fit squad last season, we were the best team in the Division and showed that in the play-off games. There have been very few times this season when I've thought we were significantly better than the opposition. I'm not confident we're good enough to get through the play-offs...if we make them.

As seen on TV. Graham was about a yard onside. First disallowed goal was also onside, although that was a very tight decision. Dunfermline's 2nd was also onside. 

5 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

I knew the goalkeeper situation would be a absolute fall back on how we played tonight no matter what.. Mitchell knows the the back 4 far better than him.. so the blame lies with Doolan for that no? 

I don’t think Mitchell is fully fit- he’d been injured for a while 

Edited by Duke Gekantawa