Taking on the WringRaiths

With the injuries I would have taken a point before the game and it sounded like we played quite well in the second half and could have sneaked it.

Dunfermline and Ayr both 9 behind us but as they play each other on the last day only one can get 51 points and even then the goal difference is hugely in our favour.

Sets up a big game against Airdrie next week - hopefully we get a huge turnout from the home fans.

Massive game next week. Happy enough with the point and just keeping our nose ahead of Airdtie.

Looking locked in for a playoff place but I really want 3rd, for the extra prize money more than anything.

That's us mathematically guaranteed at least 5th, as Dunfermline and Ayr play each other final day (so only one of them can overhaul the 9 point gap).

But a bit nervous now with Airdrie. Playing each other, both still to play the league winners, and then they have Queen's Park while we have Ayr. Probably their run-in marginally easier.

Big game Saturday. Finishing 3rd instead of 4th is really handy financially.

7 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Massive game next week. Happy enough with the point and just keeping our nose ahead of Airdtie.

Looking locked in for a playoff place but I really want 3rd, for the extra prize money more than anything.

Completely agree mate - £90,000 at stake for third and fourth a massive amount for either club.  Given we budgeted for 5th and look to have got at least a wee boost and given importance of next week hopefully as Fawlty Towers says a bigger crowd, will try and get a few neutrals along.

Given injuries a very decent result today. Nothing we can do about Airdries run of form 

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Not quite 1 more point to be certain.

Strictly speaking yes. And I'll be honest and say I'd forgotten about Ayr United, and their goal difference took a huge boost today. 

But overturning a 14 or 15 goal difference in 6 games,  which is what Dunfermline or Ayr would have to do, is a big ask. I'm an anxious football fan, but even I'm saying that's never going to happen.

8 minutes ago, allyo said:

Strictly speaking yes. And I'll be honest and say I'd forgotten about Ayr United, and their goal difference took a huge boost today. 

But overturning a 14 or 15 goal difference in 6 games,  which is what Dunfermline or Ayr would have to do, is a big ask. I'm an anxious football fan, but even I'm saying that's never going to happen.

To make it a bit easier, it is only 3 games. Very unlikely, but can’t quite guarantee it yet. This is the Jags we are talking about 

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

To make it a bit easier, it is only 3 games. Very unlikely, but can’t quite guarantee it yet. This is the Jags we are talking about 

I mean it's six games as in we have three and they have three. The goal difference would accumulate over all six games. Wee bit more complicated than that as we play Ayr (so that games counts double? :thinking:)

Anyway, either way, I reckon we'll get there. Don't fancy us when we do, but who knows

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Anyone got a link to the Championship shares of the prize money this season? "Needle and haystack" springs to mind.

Overhead conditions much the same as last week but far less football played today. Difference between playing on grass and plastic no doubt. Tho' we played better in the 2nd half think some of that down to shooting south to north looked preferable. A draw probably fair but under these conditions any team playing the better football could still easily lose the game.

Fitzpatrick had two marking him all game but handled it well. On the other flank McMillan rarely pushed forward, presumably a tactical decision. Thought a goal likely to come from a set play, which were much harder to defend today. Raith had more of them so a wee bit of credit to our defending.

10 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Anyone got a link to the Championship shares of the prize money this season? "Needle and haystack" springs to mind.

Gross league prize-money difference is about £100k between 1st and 2nd, then £90k for each place between 2nd and 5th, then £30k between 5th and 6th, then £15k per place between 6th and 10th.

The net impact on the budget for each place is smaller (for example you need to take into account the footballing department’s bonus structure) but the fundamentals of the numbers haven’t shifted very much for many seasons now.

The team finishing bottom of the Premiership get roughly double the pot that the Championship winners get.

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Very strange pitch and the wind does not make it any easier. Raith look more confident in how to pass the ball, but we have put together some decent moves too. Unlucky with the one that hit the bar, but they have had some chances as well. Level about right.

Mitchell very sound. Difficult to comment on other players as the game so lacking in continuity. Stanway showing up well and Zander perhaps finding it hard to work his way into the game, which is fully understandable.

Only fair to Zander that I should update my halftime post. He became much more involved in the second half and turned in an excellent performance. Stanway was also impressive throughout.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Ayr also have Dundee United next week which won’t be an easy game for them 

On a totally unrelated theme has anyone any idea why a yellow PTFC flag and purple-ish Partick Thistle Foundation flag were flying over the Jackie Husband this morning? 
Just curious and given the strength of the wind I hope they weren’t shredded.

5 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

The difference per position is £75,000 - should add that’s the difference between 3 and 4 and then again 4 and 5

Edited by michael m

It was encouraging to see Fitzpatrick just about back to his best yesterday. Very unlucky with the deflected shot which hit the crossbar and he pulled a good save out of their keeper in the second half. Several other runs and crosses, and one of the cynical fouls on him when in full flight would certainly have attracted a blue card and consequent sinbinning if that idea had seen the light of day!

So it's debatable whether our playoff spot is now "secured" or otherwise,  but obviously we're nearly there, and third place over Airdrie is now the main question. That question is unlikely to be settled until the very last game.

I'm wondering what Kris Doolan should do now. Our squad is incredibly stretched, Brian Graham is playing every minute, some other key players not looking their sharpest. 

The playoffs are obviously bruising and personally I don't think we're currently in shape to get through them. Though a late season drop off to 4th place would do nothing for morale.

Would you:

(a) Prioritise 3rd place and continue with the strongest 11 available through to the end of the regular season, or

(b) Rotate the squad, even if it means trialling a few very inexperienced players, to give key players a chance to recover and focus on the playoffs?

I think I'd go for the second option. I might be tempted go full strength against Airdrie just to give us the best chance, but regardless of that result I think I'd use the last two games as a reset opportunity, and que sera on 3rd place. Appreciate the financial implications, but I think performance in the playoffs has to be the priority.

Edited by allyo

I was thinking the same as you might be the best option. there’s definitely several players that need a bit of a break over the next few games, but will some of these players want a break or prefer to keep playing?

29 minutes ago, allyo said:

So it's debatable whether our playoff spot is now "secured" or otherwise,  but obviously we're nearly there, and third place over Airdrie is now the main question. That question is unlikely to be settled until the very last game.

I'm wondering what Kris Doolan should do now. Our squad is incredibly stretched, Brian Graham is playing every minute, some other key players not looking their sharpest. 

The playoffs are obviously bruising and personally I don't think we're currently in shape to get through them. Though a late season drop off to 4th place would do nothing for morale.

Would you:

(a) Prioritise 3rd place and continue with the strongest 11 available through to the end of the regular season, or

(b) Rotate the squad, even if it means trialling a few very inexperienced players, to give key players a chance to recover and focus on the playoffs?

I think I'd go for the second option. I might be tempted go full strength against Airdrie just to give us the best chance, but regardless of that result I think I'd use the last two games as a reset opportunity, and que sera on 3rd place. Appreciate the financial implications, but I think performance in the playoffs has to be the priority.

Also got to mind that the players themselves are likely (almost certainly)to be incentivised to finish 3rd. So what may be preferable to our overall chances of promotion may not be necessarily preferable to the players. 

Gut feeling is we'll all be reading from the same hymn sheet against Airdrie. Not so sure after that.