Jags (2) 🔴🟡 vs Diamonds(2)♦️♦️

Every time Fitzpatrick got the ball tonight there were 3 round him. He had a tough night but he isn’t a miracle worker. He did have a bit more success in the 25 minute spell in the 1st half when we were on top. He is still the most likely player to open up the opposition defence. Without him on form we are going nowhere.

• Like 1

Felt we really fell out of the game with the two substitutions. Didn’t feel adding another centre-back especially shored up the defence after the equaliser but what it did do was lead to us abandoning the midfield. That was only compounded by taking Fitzy off as there was then no option for an out ball at all other than lumping it up to BBG.

But it’s definitely games like this we miss Lawless. If he and Fitzy are playing teams simply can’t double and treble up on both of them at the same time like that.

Felt McMillan and Milne had disappointing games defensively. Far too easy to get crosses in and for Airdrie players to drift round the back post.

What worked last night was, frankly, just running at them from midfield. They couldn’t cope with that as the McBeth goal showed especially (but Neilson, who I felt didn’t have a good game, also had some joy with that tactic).

Still very much in it, but I feel a lot less confident of whoever progresses beating Raith Rovers than I was 24 hours ago.

Fitzy was having a mare - he owes us a performance at Firhill.  He doesn't like that surface, and neither do I.  Bringing Dan on was parking the bus and settling for 2-2.  I think that was the right thing to do.  If everyone performs to potential we should win at Firhill, as we saw not so long ago.

38 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Fitzy was having a mare - he owes us a performance at Firhill.  He doesn't like that surface, and neither do I.  Bringing Dan on was parking the bus and settling for 2-2.  I think that was the right thing to do.  If everyone performs to potential we should win at Firhill, as we saw not so long ago.

We got a wee bit lucky at Firhill before we took the lead, however, I think we have enough to beat them. 
Fair play to Airdrie through, certainly put the effort in try to play football. Manager comes across well too. 

12 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Didn’t the block from Stanway after Graham missed his big chance go behind for a corner?

You may be right as I still had my head in my hands after that chance(s).  Official stats show corners as 4-0 to Airdrie though.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Every time Fitzpatrick got the ball tonight there were 3 round him. He had a tough night but he isn’t a miracle worker. He did have a bit more success in the 25 minute spell in the 1st half when we were on top. He is still the most likely player to open up the opposition defence. Without him on form we are going nowhere.

Agree. Aiden is this season's Tiffoney in terms of being multi marked. This time last year in the play offs Fitzpatrick was given more space due to the opposition highlighting Tiffoney. The weight of defending is on Fitz so others in attack have that bit more freedom. With that in mind I feel the lad is doing fine. 

There is signs of it, but to alleviate the attention he's getting he needs to switch positions more often. More so as McInroy isn't anywhere near as effective playing down the right flank as Lawless. To some extent it's then not too surprising the lack of corners we won last. One player out of position down one flank and one player marked out the game down the other.

• Like 1

It was always going to be a close game. They have a good record at home, it's identical to ours whereas away from home they've been really poor losing 10 of their 18 games.

Taking it back to Firhill level after falling behind early and being on the backfoot for the majority of the game is a huge positive. Even in the second half where we were under pressure for almost all of it, we created the best chance and restricted them to very little.

Being back on the grass pitch should tilt it in our favour and I think if we score the first goal we should be ok. Obviously they are a good team but seem to struggle to score on the road (average under a goal a game) and seem to concede a lot (average just under 1.5 a game) the mirror opposite from their home form.

Thought we were lucky to get a draw. We had about 20 minutes in the middle of the game were we looked decent the rest of the time Airdrie had our number.

We looked in trouble every time we allowed Frizzell to pick up the ball, turn and run at us. Neilson was decent when he got close to Frizzell and when we were in Airdrie's half but he didn't have a clue what to do when Frizzell came short. 

Going to 3 at the back was in my mind an effort to put more bodies in midfield and strangle the space. Instead McMillan and to a lesser extent Milne played so deep that we were playing 5 at the back and had very little going forward.

On the plus side any team that doesn't take their chances usually lives to regret it and Airdrie might well be in that space. Also as others have said the Firhill surface should help us more than Airdrie. Also special mention to McBeth who looks a real find at centrehalf.

That being said we need to have a look at how we provide a more balanced front 3. I wonder if it would be worth playing Robinson wide and moving McInroy into the middle alondisde Neilson? Also not sure Stanway is ready for these games and I think we should be considering Alston as the attacking midfield.

We might get through against Airdrie but I'm struggling to see us getting through against Raith.

Had a look at the highlights posted by diamonds tv. Despite a few Airdrie players having a go at their goalkeeper for our 2nd goal it looked to me like Megwa could have closed Robinson. On the other hand their 2nd goal started when Graham seemed to just let Megwa stroll past him to pass the ball into Telfer ? In midfield. 

I think one of the problems we have had this season is that McMillan hasn’t been nearly as effective going forward this season even when Lawless was playing. Probably due to him not having had a pre season. Maybe the answer is playing Ngwenya but it would probably be at the expense of Stanway as when Mcinroy is playing well he is more creative I think.

3 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

I would find a place in the team for o'reilly

we need more ooomph in the midfield

maybe push mcbeth central mid and rest neilson

back 4 of mcmillan muirhed o'reilly milne

Thats a very decent idea

Might allow for a starting 11 of the following

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-O'Reilly-Milne

McBeth-Neilson

Robinson-Mcinroy-Fitzpatrick

Graham

However I suspect we won't change that much tonight

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

Thats a very decent idea

Might allow for a starting 11 of the following

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-O'Reilly-Milne

McBeth-Neilson

Robinson-Mcinroy-Fitzpatrick

Graham

However I suspect we won't change that much tonight

Looks a very decent XI.

McBeth as a CB has had a remarkably transformative effect in turning our defence (in terms of goals conceded per goal) from one of the worse to one of the best (if not the best considering only games with McBeth ar CB).

Meanwhile, for whatever reason, the games where McBeth was played as defensive centre mid coinciced with a terrible run where we conceding something like 3+ a game over a period.

I know much of the latter may have been due to 1) Neilson not being a particularly good CB/effective alongside Muirhead (O'reilly not being available) and 2) McBeth having to adapt to a huge jump in standard. However, it seems to big a risk to move him out of defence and in to midfield for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

McBeth as a CB has had a remarkably transformative effect in turning our defence (in terms of goals conceded per goal) from one of the worse to one of the best (if not the best considering only games with McBeth ar CB).

Meanwhile, for whatever reason, the games where McBeth was played as defensive centre mid coinciced with a terrible run where we conceding something like 3+ a game over a period.

I know much of the latter may have been due to 1) Neilson not being a particularly good CB/effective alongside Muirhead (O'reilly not being available) and 2) McBeth having to adapt to a huge jump in standard. However, it seems to big a risk to move him out of defence and in to midfield for me.

Have to think if we don’t concede, we will win. BBG due a goal! 

• jagfox changed the title to Jags (2) 🔴🟡 vs Diamonds(2)♦️♦️