Jump to content

Rovers (2) 🔵⚪️ vs Jags (1) 🔴🟡


jagfox
 Share

Recommended Posts

As the joy of Friday settles down we are right back into the mania of the playoffs tomorrow against a team we have struggled to get results against this season.

There are arguments though that we could have got more from each and every game though.

As an outsider I find it hard to analyse Raith and how they lineup, indeed apart from having a good squad of players what has made them a decent team this season?

Anyway, from a red and yellow perspective it is all about what we can bring to the table.

Taking a win, however slender up to Kirkcaldy for the second leg would be vital, I feel.

I don't see any drastic changes to how we line-up.

Despite the results the games have been close and I hope we can get the first part of the job done on Tuesday night.

TL;DR - A tight game but Jags to edge it.

C'mon the Jags.

Edited by jagfox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it probably was their squad. They also had a couple of players who knew how to score. 
Onto the game, it will probably be the same 11, although we can’t concede the midfield the same as we did against Airdrie. There’s a couple of options to change, I suppose. Ngwenya for Stanway to add a bit more pace or Bannigan for Stanway to give us a bit more control of the ball. Both would be harsh on Stanway who has been decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming no injuries I don't think we need to change the starting XI. We are tho' entering a phase of the play offs where fitness levels have to be considered. With that in mind if the occasion arises I wouldn't be surprised if we protected a thin one goal lead.

Positives I can take from last week's games are firstly Fitzpatrick switching wings now and again causing problems for the opposition (eg 1st goal Fri night) and secondly the relative ease we display changing to a back 3/back 5. Doolan's game management home and away v Airdrie has been significant. Could be construed by many as a bit negative, but then again if he's looking at games ahead then you could argue he's being positive. Whatever I feel we're less predictable in play of late. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Raith went through a lot of the season scoring in the last few minutes.  I don't know whether that was down to superior levels of fitness or good substitutions - or perhaps both.  Conversely, we for a spell conceded late goals as we remember all too well.  So I think Doolan has to be super smart with his initial line up and substitutions, and have a clear plan for the whole 90 minutes.  His focus I think should be in getting more from our midfield, and through that taking some of the pressure off Fitzy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

He got very little on Friday.  Airdrie had the freedom of Firhill, at least outside our penalty box.

But that's been the same story all season. We seem to have just accepted that we can't see a game out comfortably (we have next to little possession late on) and thus will have to defend deep. I feel the only positives now, as opposed to a month or so ago, are the shoring up of the defence with personnel change, and we appear to do the last ditch stuff that bit better. Still not good for my blood pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

But that's been the same story all season. We seem to have just accepted that we can't see a game out comfortably (we have next to little possession late on) and thus will have to defend deep. I feel the only positives now, as opposed to a month or so ago, are the shoring up of the defence with personnel change, and we appear to do the last ditch stuff that bit better. Still not good for my blood pressure.

We got lucky against Airdrie, though, in that their strikers aren’t as good as Raith Rovers. Although I thought Neilson had a decent game on Friday he is a defender and is too close to the defence and not close enough to the forwards and Stanway kind of takes his cue from him, leaving the huge hole in midfield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Can't see us bossing the midfield unless raith sit back. Our style is very much counter attacking, which can work with a decent defence, so I suspect much of the same. Think we have a 50/50 chance. No matter what looking forward to it. 

If the fans bring the same energy I’ll raise that to 60/40 tomorrow night at least.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We got lucky against Airdrie, though, in that their strikers aren’t as good as Raith Rovers. Although I thought Neilson had a decent game on Friday he is a defender and is too close to the defence and not close enough to the forwards and Stanway kind of takes his cue from him, leaving the huge hole in midfield.

Neilson also looked like he was towing a caravan on Friday, looked really off the pace. I’d be happy to see Bannigan in and not sitting so close to our back line and not affording Raith the same amount of midfield dominance that Airdrie had. 

Edited by JAG1970
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bannigan in for Neilson for me too. I'd start with McBeth and Muirhead at the back, but be ready to bring on O'Reilly and push McBeth in to midfield depending how things are going.

Last season we appeared to catch Ayr cold at this stage. Could that happen again? Rovers haven't had recent playoff experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

Neilson also looked like he was towing a caravan on Friday, looked really off the pace. I’d be happy to see Bannigan in and not sitting so close to our back line and not affording Raith the same amount of midfield dominance that Airdrie had. 

I think he is getting a bit unfairly maligned for Friday. He started the move for the 1st goal and it was only in the last 10 minutes or so that he noticibly tired. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think he is getting a bit unfairly maligned for Friday. He started the move for the 1st goal and it was only in the last 10 minutes or so that he noticibly tired. 

Not having a pop at him, I like him, just think he was looking very tired on Friday for longer than the last 10 mins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Not having a pop at him, I like him, just think he was looking very tired on Friday for longer than the last 10 mins. 

To be fair, I thought that at the game too and was surprised McMillan went off and not him. However, when i rewatched it on tv, I noticed he’d had a better game than I thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • jagfox changed the title to Rovers (2) 🔵⚪️ vs Jags (1) 🔴🟡

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...