Welcome Nathan Eccleston

mhs

On paper, an absolutely tremendous bit of business by Archie.

The guy has played in the Premiership and the Europa League. If we're being honest, we have no right to be signing guys like this and it shows how far the team have come in the last 2 years.

We all know that the policy of waiting until the last day and picking up guys who aren't wanted down south isn't an ideal strategy, but if we can keep picking up the likes of this guy and Higgy then I don't think anyone can have any complaints.

I'm quite happy that we waited and picked up a player of this calibre at the last minute, rather than picking up the likes of Baird in plenty of time for the new season.

Well done Archie.

He's answered all the critics of his transfer policy with a good few hours to spare. He's filled all the positions that we all said he had to. Whether the players work out or not is out of his control but on paper the signings are of proven quality.

• Like 4

The guy has played in the Premiership and the Europa League. If we're being honest, we have no right to be signing guys like this and it shows how far the team have come in the last 2 years.

We all know that the policy of waiting until the last day and picking up guys who aren't wanted down south isn't an ideal strategy, but if we can keep picking up the likes of this guy and Higgy then I don't think anyone can have any complaints.

I'm quite happy that we waited and picked up a player of this calibre at the last minute, rather than picking up the likes of Baird in plenty of time for the new season.

Well done Archie.

He's answered all the critics of his transfer policy with a good few hours to spare. He's filled all the positions that we all said he had to. Whether the players work out or not is out of his control but on paper the signings are of proven quality.

Absolutely.....people dismissing his goal scoring record are forgetting he's played at a much higher level than us for most of his career.

I definitely think our signings this window have been far better than at this time last year. There have been no "wasted signings" and I think this shows how much Archie is learning. Hopefully the players he has signed, as you say, will live up to their promise and prove to be as good as they appear.

Can't imagine anyone can be dissatisfied with Osman. Seaborne looks a commanding figure. We know what Stevenson's capable of in this division. Carroll made a more than decent debut despite only being signed late in the week and playing away against perhaps the second best team in the league. A 2nd centreback picking up good reviews, which if they continue will likely have him ready to challenge for a place in January. And a forward who has played at higher level. Omitting Ben Hyphen that's five players brought in and it's still not good enough for some!

It's my guess Archie wanted to bring in another couple of loanees to allow perhaps the likes of Duggan and McDaid to go out on loan. Perhaps that's now on hold. Meantime just as he did with Keenan I don't think Archie would fear in necessity playing any of four other youngsters.

I still fail to see where he's going to fit into our team when we have a manager who will never play 2 strikers. If he becomes first pick, who gets dropped to accommodate Stevenson? Doolan is reduced to a bench warming supersub from now on? As for Duggan, he should forget it for this season. Would not get a start even if Doolan, Eccleston and Stevenson were out.

I still fail to see where he's going to fit into our team when we have a manager who will never play 2 strikers. If he becomes first pick, who gets dropped to accommodate Stevenson? Doolan is reduced to a bench warming supersub from now on? As for Duggan, he should forget it for this season. Would not get a start even if Doolan, Eccleston and Stevenson were out.

Are you saying we have an embarrassment of riches?

Well done Archie.

Think we're pushing it a little bit with the proven quality quote , Ecclestone has scored 6 times since 2009 but he's obviously been coached well at Liverpool so he's probably worth a punt , Carroll has played most of his career in the league of Ireland which probably isn't too far off the standard of the SPFL, so I'm a little bit unsure where you get the proven quality from .Hopefully both players turn out to be great players for the club and help us push on .

Just found match report from Archie testimonial v Liverpool XI in August 2009 featuring a scoring performance by Nathan Eccleston, a tribute to Archie the player (free of any managerial perspective), a first goal in quasi-serious Thistle action by Chris Erskine, and a halftime crossbar challenge involving Chic Charnley and the then just departed Gary Harkins and Marc Twaddle, not to mention some contemporary references that now seem incredibly dated! What a difference 5 years makes.

No idea how to link to this and certainty too long to paste here, but in the unlikely event that anybody would like to read this, please PM me with an email address and I will email it to you.

Just found match report from Archie testimonial v Liverpool XI in August 2009 featuring a scoring performance by Nathan Eccleston, a tribute to Archie the player (free of any managerial perspective), a first goal in quasi-serious Thistle action by Chris Erskine, and a halftime crossbar challenge involving Chic Charnley and the then just departed Gary Harkins and Marc Twaddle, not to mention some contemporary references that now seem incredibly dated! What a difference 5 years makes.

No idea how to link to this and certainty too long to paste here, but in the unlikely event that anybody would like to read this, please PM me with an email address and I will email it to you.

Harkins and Twaddle had just left the club to move on to bigger and better things. Who can forget the incredulity at the announcement of these 'special guests'? Of course, only one of the three hit the crossbar from the halfway line. No prize for guessing who!

Edited by BowenBoys

Well done Archie.

I hope that Eccleston finds his feet at the club and is a good fit for us and vice versa. He is still relatively young and this could be a chance for him to get his career back on track.

I have to disagree though when you say on paper this is a tremendous piece of business. It could end up that way but this guy has score just six goals in just under 50 League One games for six different clubs. Not Premiership or Championship but League One clubs. A lot of these could be substitute appearances but, none the less, not great statistics on paper.

With regards to having no right to sign him - I would imagine we wouldn't have had much competition for his services.

All that said, I'm sure all of us would have Lyle Taylor back and he can't get a game for Scunthorpe at the moment..

I really hope he comes in and does well for us and proves to be an inspirational signing. I'm just not getting carried away.

For those doubting Eccleston's abilities, a certain Lyle Taylor managed the princely sum of six goals whilst rattling about at a level well below what our new signing has been used to.

I wouldn't read too much into his goal return especially considering his career up until this point has been composed of mainly loan spells - and we, of all folk, should know that those sort of deals aren't always reflective of a player's capability.

An important thing to take note of with this signing is that it would never have happened had we not had access to decent training facilities. If you can't get excited about the individual, you might at least find some encouragement in the fact that the calibre of player we're able to attract is increasing.

• Like 1

I think this signing shows a bit of growth since last season as Eccleston seems, on paper at least, a more active Liverpool prospect than Mukendi. At this rate, maybe we'll get Coutinho in two years.

Anyway, it seems to me that Eccleston is the kind of "shop window" player we should get used to signing. I know Owen Coyle gets mentioned a lot, but at Bolton he tried to adopt a strategy of signing young talent and developing it with the plan to sell back to parent club with a markup if the player panned out. Seems like a strategy we'd be smart to pursue.

Anyway, good luck Nathan and welcome!

For those doubting Eccleston's abilities, a certain Lyle Taylor managed the princely sum of six goals whilst rattling about at a level well below what our new signing has been used to.

I wouldn't read too much into his goal return especially considering his career up until this point has been composed of mainly loan spells - and we, of all folk, should know that those sort of deals aren't always reflective of a player's capability.

An important thing to take note of with this signing is that it would never have happened had we not had access to decent training facilities. If you can't get excited about the individual, you might at least find some encouragement in the fact that the calibre of player we're able to attract is increasing.

Good point, well made