Jags Vs St Mirren

allyo

That was the season in miniature. We played some good stuff in the first half with the ball flashing across their penalty box time and again but without making many clear cut chances. Second half we slumped into a dozy spell, failing to dominate against a dispirited St Mirren team. Then we scored, added two more and looked a class above the opposition.

Big Freddy and Conrad were never threatened by Thommo, Saints' rather blunt spearhead, both fullbacks were excellent and real attacking threats and Banzo was very impressive, getting the ball down, making space and playing sensible incisive passes.

Lawless had another good game but Lyle Taylor couldn't get going and Higgy a bit hit and miss...and Stevenson's well-taken header redeemed an otherwise awful performance. Doolan again showed he is a good option to have...though I will be writing to the SPFL for clarification as to why his goal wasn't flagged offside.

I agreed with Stuart Cosgrave on Radio Scotland this evening who said that Thistle have seemed to have played within themselves this season and he was surprised that they had been anywhere near the relegation area...and they hadn't had the credit they deserved.

I will definitely miss Stephen O'Donnell and Higgy if they are not with us next season - they can both be frustrating but are also entertainers and potential matchwinners. I will also miss St Mirren coming to Firhill - they are a club similar to us and bring a decent support...boo hoo.

didnt think stevo was any worse than higgy or Taylor. We won so it was a team effort and certainly didn't think anyone was awful.

Thought Gary Fraser looked more like the Gary of beginning of season and nearly scored a great goal which was good to see. He did have a loss of form for a couple of months but he's a young lad and had some personal problems he had to deal with so hopefully we will see a return to the great form he had before

I really hope we can get Booth signed for next season. Every time he gets forward he mixes up what he does - one-twos to get in behind the defence, pass for the overlapping run, dribble into the box himself - and 95% of the time chooses the right option. I think he's a big threat and with O'Donnell leaving, it's imperative to sign him up as he's a similar player on the opposite side.

• Like 1

Also my mate knows O'Donnell and told me a couple of years ago he was keen on a move south, and confirmed it again the other week, so it would be massively disappointing if he was to go to Tannadice. I don't think he will.

It would be heartbreaking to lose both SOD and Banzo to Tannadice

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

I heard from a pretty good source earlier in the season.

Then they will have to pay us a decent whack because he has still a year to run of his contract. So I don't see it: they prefer to steal players for nothing and then sell them on for a profit.

Saturday's game was a strange one as we weren't at our best but didn't need to be. I agree with the majority of posters: Bannigan and Booth were both excellent and the defence looked largely untroubled aside from the comedy mix-up moment. It's great to see Bannigan making those driving runs from midfield again. Higgy and Taylor struggled to make much of an impact but they worked tirelessly nonetheless. Stevenson looked off the pace but made up for it by scoring the crucial opener.

Archie deserves a lot of credit for having secured our top-flight status with games to spare. Hopefully our current form continues until the end of the season. We'll need to strengthen the squad in the summer, as next season is going to be tougher, but I'm confident that the manager will bring in the right players.

That was the season in miniature. We played some good stuff in the first half with the ball flashing across their penalty box time and again but without making many clear cut chances. Second half we slumped into a dozy spell, failing to dominate against a dispirited St Mirren team. Then we scored, added two more and looked a class above the opposition.

Big Freddy and Conrad were never threatened by Thommo, Saints' rather blunt spearhead, both fullbacks were excellent and real attacking threats and Banzo was very impressive, getting the ball down, making space and playing sensible incisive passes.

Lawless had another good game but Lyle Taylor couldn't get going and Higgy a bit hit and miss...and Stevenson's well-taken header redeemed an otherwise awful performance. Doolan again showed he is a good option to have...though I will be writing to the SPFL for clarification as to why his goal wasn't flagged offside.

I agreed with Stuart Cosgrave on Radio Scotland this evening who said that Thistle have seemed to have played within themselves this season and he was surprised that they had been anywhere near the relegation area...and they hadn't had the credit they deserved.

I will definitely miss Stephen O'Donnell and Higgy if they are not with us next season - they can both be frustrating but are also entertainers and potential matchwinners. I will also miss St Mirren coming to Firhill - they are a club similar to us and bring a decent support...boo hoo.

Wasnt his best game certainly but awful? Watch the sportscene highlights (admittedly should show more) but our 2 best chances in the first half were as a result of a great Stevenson ball through to Taylor while the other was when he almost incredibly manged to keep the ball in play at the bye line whipping it over into the box for Taylor (I think it was) to only be prevented from scoring from a complete magnificent save by their keeper.

Plus he scored a goal.

Definetly not best performance of the season but not awful and he played his part along with the rest of the team in getting us the victory

Edited by Third Lanark

Thought Stevo had a poor start but grew in to the game. He's always a threat going forward so you can understand why archie didn't sub him. What a good decision it proved to be.

I wouldn't think it's coincidental that Stevenson has regularly been playing 90 mins during this good spell. Archie has rarely used up his quota of subs so it's not as if he's been powerless to take him off. I've been impressed with the way Ryan has finished matches lately. I doubt even those who question his worth would not realise he's a master at running down a game. Had we been chasing games it might well have been different and Archie might have regularly subbed him for more pace. But we've not and as I see it Stevenson has been a most valuable player over the last couple of months.

I wouldn't think it's coincidental that Stevenson has regularly been playing 90 mins during this good spell. Archie has rarely used up his quota of subs so it's not as if he's been powerless to take him off. I've been impressed with the way Ryan has finished matches lately. I doubt even those who question his worth would not realise he's a master at running down a game. Had we been chasing games it might well have been different and Archie might have regularly subbed him for more pace. But we've not and as I see it Stevenson has been a most valuable player over the last couple of months.

Stevenson has been class for ages- you can tell from his touch why he was so well thought of a youngster and the way he attacked that cross was epic- defender didn't know what had hit him.

Another in a line of proper footballers which we've been lucky to have these last few seasons.

When you think of the likes of Willie Cairns and many others like him (who I've mostly forgotten) you appreciate what we have now.

Stevenson has been class for ages- you can tell from his touch why he was so well thought of a youngster and the way he attacked that cross was epic- defender didn't know what had hit him.

Another in a line of proper footballers which we've been lucky to have these last few seasons.

When you think of the likes of Willie Cairns and many others like him (who I've mostly forgotten) you appreciate what we have now.

Willie Callaghan?

Shudder!

Thought Stevo had a poor start but grew in to the game. He's always a threat going forward so you can understand why archie didn't sub him. What a good decision it proved to be.

It is truly weird how people see things differently. I thought he started well. At one point near the end of the 1st half, SOD had a word in his ear about something, which he didn't seem to like and for a while after that looked really disinterested right into 2nd half until he scored.