Debt Free...

dougie247

Wasn't that long ago this forum was being used to abuse Beattie - hope the same contributors are thoroughly embarrassed now.

Under Beattie's tenure -

Promotion to the Premier League

Under 16's no cost admission

Youth Academy creation

Now - debt free

Well done Beattie !

To be fair Theestle, think we should await the full details of this deal before declaring him as the Messiah. He will get plenty of plaudits if this hasn't involved flogging off the remaining parts of the ground!

Edited by Lindau

Wasn't that long ago this forum was being used to abuse Beattie - hope the same contributors are thoroughly embarrassed now.

Under Beattie's tenure -

Youth Academy creation

Now - debt free

Well done Beattie !

Under 16s go free wasn't introduced by David Beattie - Allan Cowan was chairman at the time. Aside from that, you're right it's a good record. Will wait to see further details before 100% welcoming this though - not sure why those details weren't released at the same time.

Under Beattie's tenure -

Youth Academy creation

Now - debt free

Well done Beattie !

A great list of achievements.

As for the last item, I too would like to know the details of the deal. Given that it was a 'good news' statement, I fear that the details were omitted because they are not good news. Hope I am wrong and will praise Beattie if it all turns out to be good news.

There are really only further details to be announced if it isn't good news, i.e if the ground has been sold. Assuming it's just a straight investment I don't really see that any details have been omitted, other than identity, which isn't unusual.

Don't want to speak too soon, but surely it would be absolutely crazy for the chairman to come out and celebrate a good news story if in fact he'd just sold off Firhill.

Edited by allyo

Reaching the age of 60 hasn't brought the wisdom that I hoped it might but it has left me deeply cynical.

There is nothing in the club statement or the ET article about the assets of the club. Lot's of positive spin but no details.

We don't know who the investors are or the conditions of their investment.

There is a lot of talk about communicating with the fans. We have heard this before and nothing has happened. What is different now, though, is that it seems that it was a condition of the deal that the bank insisted on. Along the lines of 'if you want to take your business forward, talk to your customers'. The bank clearly has a better understanding of this than the board.

More than just talk, it seems. Supporters are to get an opportunity to have a greater say in the running of the club. Again, a condition set by the bank and not one that the board have chosen.

I will reserve judgement on the deal until the full package is made clear. If it is as positive as it sounds then I will praise the board. At the moment, the most positive aspects of the deal seem to have been driven by the bank. You'll excuse me for being cynical about them too.

• Like 1

Two quotes from the ET article.

'The club announced yesterday that it had struck an agreement with Bank of Scotland'

'We have no debt, and we owe no money to any other banks'

So, is it re-sheduling of debts with the penalty payments being paid by the new investor?

Edited by BowenBoys

Is it not the investors who are insisting on keeping the details quiet, as opposed to the bank. Shareholders don't usually "run" the business. In order to do that they will need to get their representatives on the board. So, maybe what the details are that we are waiting on is how the board is going to be restructured.

There are really only further details to be announced if it isn't good news, i.e if the ground has been sold. Assuming it's just a straight investment I don't really see that any details have been omitted, other than identity, which isn't unusual.

Don't want to speak too soon, but surely it would be absolutely crazy for the chairman to come out and celebrate a good news story if in fact he'd just sold off Firhill.

You do know your making that up ?

We clearly have new investment from people who are thistle minded but that's bad news ?!

People can have lots of reasons about when to announce things so nothing strange there

We have no debt and still people moan

• Like 1

We clearly have new investment from people who are thistle minded but that's bad news ?!

People can have lots of reasons about when to announce things so nothing strange there

Don't see anyone moaning, we are debt free after all! Some people just being cautious until the full facts are known. Don't see anything wrong with that

Don't see anyone moaning, we are debt free after all! Some people just being cautious until the full facts are known. Don't see anything wrong with that

I think a couple of comments have been more than cautious

I see David Beattie with a huge smile but oh wait yes he's sold firhill ....maybe .... Jesus

• Like 1

You've misunderstood my post. Maybe wasn't clear. All I'm saying is that I don't necessarily think that there is anything omitted from the statement, as many are suggesting. If an investor wants to remain anonymous in the short or long term then it's up to them.

It has to be the Weirs, I really can't see it being anyone else given what's been said in the statement.

As DP pointed out earlier, their PR representative was recently added to the board. This now looks like a pretty sensible move by the Weirs - get someone they trust in there first before investing, to make sure there are no nasty surprises lurking round the corner and to get the inside track on the club. My guess is she has reported back positively which has led to them making this initial investment.

You have to hand it to the Weirs. For people who were just given such a vast some of money overnight they seem to have managed it very well and have helped a lot of good causes in the process.

• Like 4