Dundee Utd

javeajag

Ok so moving on from yesterday's snozzarama.....

We know if we win in Tuesday and results go our way we could get into the hop 6

Therefore we won't win on Tuesday

Thus season we don't concede but can't score ... If we are going to play pogba then some near him needs to score which more often than not isn't happening ....draw

We don't even need a hearts win. Thistle and Celtic enough.

I'm looking forward to it. This is a chance to look up and achieve something new, rather than worrying and looking over shoulders. Would like to see Dumbuya start. Miller has done nothing wrong but it's a tactical switch that can make us more creative. Maybe Doolan for Pogba. (Or with him?). I'm not having a dig at Pogba, I get what he brings, but Doolan is more likely to score.

Edited by allyo

Have to go all out for a win, and if we lose we still have the option to batten down the hatches for the rest of the season (at which we've proved adept) We should play Doolan and Edwards from the start, with Nesbit and Dumbaya also starting. That would create some movement in the midfield and up front both on the wings and through the centre. We don't want a repeat of the cup tie at Tannadice (or yesterday) with no threat or real presence up front.

• Like 1

We don't even need a hearts win. Thistle and Celtic enough.

I'm looking forward to it. This is a chance to look up and achieve something new, rather than worrying and looking over shoulders. Would like to see Dumbuya start. Miller has done nothing wrong but it's a tactical switch that can make us more creative. Maybe Doolan for Pogba. (Or with him?). I'm not having a dig at Pogba, I get what he brings, but Doolan is more likely to score.

As long as Caley don't win.

Archie more or less summarises yesterday the way I saw it. Killie winning the individual battles and looking that bit hungrier for a win. Dundee Utd come just as hungry as Killie but also with more momentum and I suspect more confidence. So it's going to be a tough one. A draw isn't any good to United and that may just be to our benefit as they'll have to come out their shell.

Feel we should just play our strongest eleven and that'll be down to fitness in training as much as form. Perhaps tho' Archie may want to rest Lawless or Amoo and more likely the former. I sound like a stuck record but Stevie offers little played out of position. He also has a good record up at Dingwall. Hope we don't get too bogged down again with formation. We can always adjust to the way United line up once the game has started.

Hope yesterday's borefest hasn't put too many Jags punters off as I reckon United will bring a reasonably large support.

Much is being made of "the run" D.U. are on, and they will no doubt arrive at Firhill buoyed by the belief that they are capable of mounting a headline grabbing "Great Escape". They have indeed made the implausible possible, and it would be wrong to underestimate the threat their large squad of talented, experienced and determined players carry.

However.... In their 8 league games since we lost to them in the cup, they have won 3. Thistle can claim the same.

They can claim one more draw and one less defeat, yet that came against Hamilton away where we recently came away victorious.

During their run they beat Hearts at Tyncastle while we were beaten by the Jambos. All three of the goals in their 2-1 victory came with Hearts down to 10 men, while we were only beaten 1-0 after losing Bannigan to injury before half time.

They beat Ross county convincingly 3-0... yet a week later they, admittedly down to 10 men for the last half hour, managed a less convincing 3-2 win in the cup.

Yesterday they won, we could only manage a draw.... They beat St.Johnstone yesterday 1-0, reportedly their goal came from a goalies blunder. The "great" achievement pushed by the media is that they held on for the last half hour after again having a man sent off. Also ..... Thistle have a 100%, 9 point return out of the saints so far this year.

.... :unknw:

I don't underestimate the Arabs. Weeks ago I posted it might be unwise to write them off. It's just that as per usual Scottish pundits and commentators are looking to the old guard teams to provide the headlines and their shallow journalism reports little on the more than mere plucky young pretenders.

Remember '96....

Partick Thistle... Finish them!!! :split:

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 4

What run have DU been on? - their last 10 games record is identical to ours as is their last 4 games compared to ours - if this so-called magnificent run they are on it is only in comparison to their pitiful "run" prior to their last 10 games - mind you we had 3 points from the first 9 games so 35 points from the last 22 games isn't a bad run for us either.

Mind you would bite your hand off for a point on Tuesday tbh.

Edited by JeanieD

Top 6 blah blah blah, it will end up the same as last season where they spoke about it that much only for us to get a kick in the sacks and feel deflated when the players fell flat. I think we would all like to see progression and top 6 for some extra funds but this is Thistle and we know what that means!

Top 6 blah blah blah, it will end up the same as last season where they spoke about it that much only for us to get a kick in the sacks and feel deflated when the players fell flat. I think we would all like to see progression and top 6 for some extra funds but this is Thistle and we know what that means!

This.

Best to ban all talk about top 6 until we've actually been there for more than ten minutes.

• Like 1

Last three posts...

Pure misery. Dearie me. Virtually safe in early April. Opportunity to go for top six. And yet.

Realistic opinion based on our inability to complete a job when we have the chance to do so, as supported by the evidence.

There's been plenty of instances over the last three seasons when we've bottled it

Yesterday was by no means the first time.

But we're fine this season - of that I am sure.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Some right miserable b*stards on here. Must be great craic on a night out.

I think we can win the game if we play a lot better than yesterday. From a purely selfish point of view, I would love to see us win as I've already booked trains for Dingwall.

Edited by ian_mac

Realistic opinion based on our inability to complete a job when we have the chance to do so, as supported by the evidence.

There's been plenty of instances over the last three seasons when we've bottled it

Yesterday was by no means the first time.

But we're fine this season - of that I am sure.

Last three seasons we've had very obvious objectives as the season has come to a close. Get promoted, stay up, stay up.

We've never lost a game post split where we had anything at stake, other than prize money.

Not seeing the evidence that we have an inability to complete a job.

This season the objective has now become a bit higher. But only through success. Progress.

Edited by allyo

What run have DU been on? - their last 10 games record is identical to ours as is their last 4 games compared to ours - if this so-called magnificent run they are on it is only in comparison to their pitiful "run" prior to their last 10 games - mind you we had 3 points from the first 9 games so 29 points from the last 22 games isn't a bad run for us either.

Mind you would bite your hand off for a point on Tuesday tbh.

It is actually 35 points from 22 games,10 wins 5 draws and 7 losses which has to go down as a very good run of sustained form over a long period in the top league. It cannot be put down to easy fixtures as we have played all the other teams twice each with only one tiny exception involving teams of similar standard (3 v St Johnstone and 1 v Ross County).

I think you were reaching 38 by adding to our 9 games rather than to our 3 points!

Personally I would not settle for a point on Tuesday. We have much more to win by winning than we have to lose by losing, if you see what I mean!

Last three seasons we've had very obvious objectives as the season has come to a close. Get promoted, stay up, stay up.

We've never lost a game post split where we had anything at stake, other than prize money.

Not seeing the evidence that we have an inability to complete a job.

This season the objective has now become a bit higher. But only through success. Progress.

I totally agree with this. Loads of games in the last 4 seasons that we have won when it really mattered. Morton at Firhill 3 years ago this week and the following Saturday at Airdrie where 2 goals at the death secured a win

In our 1st season up - Killie away 1st game of the split and Hearts away 2nd last game. Last season Ross County away followed by St Mirren at Firhill. All vital games to get or keep us in the top flight.

Apologies to CGMB - I posted before seeing yours. Spot on

Edited by Lenziejag

Remember '96....

Partick Thistle... Finish them!!! :split:

:fan:

I remember being on a school trip to Normandy in 96 with 40 odd kids and phoning home from the ferry terminal in Caen just before boarding ... my old man told me "three minutes to go and you're one-up".

Danced a jig as I got back on the bus to board the ferry - a couple of hours into the crossing a couple of the senior kids found me & told me the bad news they'd seen on the TV.

Longest journey home ... ever.

As CGMB says - for '96 finish them off Jags - no mercy!