2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

There's a way to leave a club and a way not to. Erskine, Craigen and now Frans have done it with class. Paton and Fox handled it like pricks. All the best to the big man.

What did Fox do wrong? He wanted to get in the Scotland squad (which he's done) and win trophies (which he's done) and probably finish in the top six and not end up in a relegation battle every year (which he's done). They Thistle fans behind the goal abusing him at the game in April were a feckin embarassment. Some Thistle fans just think every decent player should stay and get paid peanuts otherwise they're all *********!

What did Fox do wrong? He wanted to get in the Scotland squad (which he's done) and win trophies (which he's done) and probably finish in the top six and not end up in a relegation battle every year (which he's done). They Thistle fans behind the goal abusing him at the game in April were a feckin embarassment. Some Thistle fans just think every decent player should stay and get paid peanuts otherwise they're all *********!

I might be wrong but was he not a bit of an ********* at the player of the year event last season?

I heard he was a knob at the Player of the Year awards.

I'd never begrudge him leaving for extra money but he got in the Scotland squad with us. Fair enough on the League Cup win. But Thistle and County are clubs with similar ambitions (but different budgets) while his comments pretended otherwise.

I think I'll always be a bit pissed off at a key squad member leaving us for Killie/County/Motherwell, to be honest.

I wasn't at that game so couldn't comment on the abuse he took but yes I've heard it was a bit much.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

There's a way to leave a club and a way not to. Erskine, Craigen and now Frans have done it with class. Paton and Fox handled it like pricks. All the best to the big man.

i thought Aaron Taylor Sinclair and Aaron Muirhead behaved with dignity when they left both speak highly of their time with the Jags
  • Like 1

behaved like a prize tool at the poty awards and pretty much stuck his middle digit up at all and sundry

By all accounts that I heard/read Fox was a complete arse at the PotY night. Regardless he was always going to get stick when we played County. Moving to Dingwall to further his Scotland career was as lame a reason as I've ever heard. I wouldn't want to be too judgemental on the level of abuse handed out except to say it was a bit repetitive during the first game at Dingwall. In a roundabout way in the last game, County moving the core of our support away from behind the goals probably resulted in the abuse being worse than it would've been.

What's indisputable is that any Fox baiting had zero effect in the three games we played. The only goal he lost was at the Bing End. What's also I feel indisputable (amongst us Jags fans anyway) is we're all the better for Fox leaving and being replaced by Tomas who not only is a better keeper but has also pledged his future to us. Similar in a way to when McNamara left. We ended up with a far better manager and one who like Cerny has lengthened his contract.

• Like 1

Even more worrying according to Frans himself in the media, was his reason for leaving being a cut to his wage! I thought our playing budget had increased this season? Seems a bit strange that we couldn't even match the wages for someone who would be a regular starter next season!

Don't think you offer a one-year deal on reduced wages to a guy who you see as your first choice centre-half. I suspect Archie would have been happy to have him in the squad, but is casting around for a better option. Frans sems a nice enough guy, and he says all the right things about the club and the fans, but we can do better than him in that position. I'd like to see Gary Millar re-sign, as he gives us a number of options, but, again, I suspect his offer is as a squad player rather than first choice defender, either right back or centre half. It'll be interesting to see who we sign up as replacements. Let the speculation begin...

Frans pay cut - "too much for me to take"

http://m.eveningtime...on_of_his_life/

Now I'm more disappointed than before. He wanted to stay, loved the club, he was decent and might have improved, but we offered him what?...... a pay cut! This when we'll presumably have some bigger gates and televised matches next season.

Yes, disappointed. All the best to him, even though he is also disappointed, not a bad word to say about anybody.

I too would have liked him to stay, but none of us know what his previous contract was. Freddie spent a fair bit of the season on the subs bench either due to injury or by being displaced by a player in better form. How many on the forum would consider him a shoe in if we had other options available?

The concern that I have is that if we lose Miller, with both Freddie and Dan now away, we may struggle to recruit suitable replacements for the start of the season.

Even more worrying according to Frans himself in the media, was his reason for leaving being a cut to his wage! I thought our playing budget had increased this season? Seems a bit strange that we couldn't even match the wages for someone who would be a regular starter next season!

Depends entirely on what you consider as "regular". If he was considered to be a regular starter (as in a likely first pick) then he wouldn't be on reduced terms. The norm for us these days is to give our first team picks two year contracts minimum. I'd suggest Frans (like Seaborne) was on a relatively good wage and that wage couldn't be justified in continuance. Put another way he didn't quite live up to expectations.

It's not unlikely there's a similar situation re Miller. Whether that will be reviewed now Frans is away is anyone's guess. Miller may tho' be able to get a better deal elsewhere. For instance Gary is surely a better right back than Muirhead and if he signed for Falkirk he'd be more or less guaranteed a start. I've no idea whether the play and win bonuses at Falkirk plus basic would be better than our offer where he may be considered a second choice and not get the same game time. It's most likely a difficult decision for Miller. In a perverse sort of way I'd like to think Gary would spend more of his time on the bench. That would mean that Dumbuya retains his fitness and we we were well covered with quality at centreback.