Aberdeen 04/11/16

Lindau

I quite enjoyed that, despite the loss. Aberdeen controlled possession for long spells in the first half, yet I didn't get the impression we were conceding too many clear-cut chances and we certainly created a few of our own. It goes without saying that we need to be more clinical in front of goal. It was unfortunate that their goal came at a time when I thought we were beginning to come back into the game. The second half contained a dizzying number of tactical and formational changes. We seemed to start with a 4-3-1-2, with Barton moving into midfield, but this clearly wasn't working, so Archie moved Adam back into defence, with Devine moving to right-back. There were then numerous alterations before we ended up with three up front as we chased the game towards the end. I felt these constant tweaks disrupted our play somewhat, and the midfield seemed quite disjointed at times. With hindsight it might have been worth sticking with 3-5-2 for a bit longer following half-time. We were creating chances after all.

In terms of individual performances, I thought both Christie and Booth had good games on the flanks. Barton looked composed in defence, if a bit outpaced during his brief stint in midfield. Azeez's hold-up play was decent, but he made the wrong choice when through on goal in the first half. Doolan was perhaps a bit quieter than normal and Edwards struggled to make much of a mark on the game. Declan looked good when he came on and showed a nice bit of skill to lay the ball off for Erskine, whose shot was unfortunately too close to the 'keeper.

All-in it was an enjoyable evening at Firhill. It's a pity we didn't grab a point but Aberdeen are a more than decent team and stand a good chance of finishing second.

I got up at 4.30 am to try to watch it on Jagzone. Not available, so I made do with the audio commentary. To be honest, we sounded pretty dire, getting outfought and actually outclassed. Azeez comes across as simply incapable of scoring a one-on-one, and by all accounts a totally preventable goal shipped near half-time. Couldn't stay awake, so went back to bed.

Sounds like Archie ballsed it up big time in the second half.

One win at Firhill since the start of the league------ and people wonder what can be done to increase crowds......

• Like 1

Movement in box and even delivery for a couple of the corners tonight was surprisingly good, Devine unlucky in 1st half and obviously the goal...more of that please.

Sorry , so your suggesting that our free kicks and corners tonight were good? 2 out of how many?

I so wish we were good at things like set pieces, corners etc but we aren't. Ok we scored one tonight thanks to a terrific Barton header despite being fouled but did you see any other corner/ free kick cause problems apart from Devines scoop over the bar from 3 yards? Look at the free kick second half 25 yards out. Gavin Hastings would have been proud of that.

The only proper save their keeper made was a cross that hit shay Logan's napper and nearly ended up as an own goal.

Sorry , so your suggesting that our free kicks and corners tonight were good? 2 out of how many?

The first two corners were good and Barton did very well to get to the one we scored. But, the rest were gash and I'd also like to see a change in the taker of set-pieces. Welsh's free kick was just embarrassing.

I so wish we were good at things like set pieces, corners etc but we aren't. Ok we scored one tonight thanks to a terrific Barton header despite being fouled but did you see any other corner/ free kick cause problems apart from Devines scoop over the bar from 3 yards? Look at the free kick second half 25 yards out. Gavin Hastings would have been proud of that.

The only proper save their keeper made was a cross that hit shay Logan's napper and nearly ended up as an own goal.

No I said a couple of corners....It was two decent ones more than normal!! Devine probably should have scored his chance too...

I thought we were average last night, as were Aberdeen.

We looked reasonabley solid with the back 3 then fragile when Barton moved to midfield.

We need to vary our corner and free kick takers, every opposition team knows Welsh will take them, vary them and it may disrupt their marking plans. Our strikers need to get in for shooting practice as we actually created quite a few chances which should have been converted.

One other thing I've noticed on the last few games, I think the choice of footwear from many of the team must be wrong as were continually slipping on the park, way more than the opposition

Final thought is that Madden is a clown, his decisions or lack of at times were shocking, as was the main stand assistant who should have flagged their 1st goal offside and for our penalty when Osman fouled.

• Like 1

3 games in a row at Firhill the refereeing has been terrible. I dont remember the Osman foul, but if so, thats 3 games in a row we should have had a penalty at Firhill.

Madden's performance was by far the worst. Counting the Aberdern wall back 7 steps in the second half just one example. But like Hearts, Aberdeen are "cute". Far cuter than us. They know the right moment to foul the opposition player at a high ball. Just as the player is about to jump, a wee push puts them off, its not blatant but it resulted in aberdeen winning a ridiculous amount of high balls.

As for their falling over, the slightest touch and they went down, madden fell for it every time. Every single fckin time!!!

I don't understand why with 5 mins to go Archie didn't fling Barton upfront so at least we had some sort of presence up there to try win high balls. Yet again it seems to be he settled for a defeat to a bigger side. Taking off you 2 strikers and replacing them with midfielders and then putting on mcdaid for his first game of the season I think?

Every other team we play when we have a one goal lead pile players forward and put us under pressure usually with us conceding however we settled for a defeat and at one point seemed to be happy time wasting and playing the ball back to the keeper. Very frustrating.

We made the same 2 substitutions last week against St J and it worked. Anyway, I am not sure that I would call Amoo a midfielder.

Michael Max pretty much said in commentary that when azeez found himself with the keeper to beat he shat it. Ive called for it a few times but why is he not out training himself with a cardboard cut oot of a keeper practicing that. The cardboard would take a right doing right enough initially but in time he should find the net

• Like 3

As for there 2nd goal, there isnt really any danger. Oor massive keeper is in absolute no mans land. Good vision and finish, ye cant take that away from the boy but keeper has to hold his big hands up there. Wonder what azeez would have done, in fact i know what he woulda done, he woulda knocked the cardboard over (see above) and had to start again.

3 games in a row at Firhill the refereeing has been terrible. I dont remember the Osman foul, but if so, thats 3 games in a row we should have had a penalty at Firhill.

Madden's performance was by far the worst. Counting the Aberdern wall back 7 steps in the second half just one example. But like Hearts, Aberdeen are "cute". Far cuter than us. They know the right moment to foul the opposition player at a high ball. Just as the player is about to jump, a wee push puts them off, its not blatant but it resulted in aberdeen winning a ridiculous amount of high balls.

As for their falling over, the slightest touch and they went down, madden fell for it every time. Every single fckin time!!!

Osmans foul was in the box and was a foul but he swan dived and I found it hilarious that about 5 Aberdeen players surrounded him at the throw in that was given after calling him a cheat when you had......Jonny Hayes falling over coz he's so fast that you can't touch him or it's a free kick, Rooney who's hard as nails when challenging for a ball outside the box but seems to weigh 5 stone when in it, stockley who thinks everytime he doesn't win a header it's a foul and Maddison who spent more time on his arse clutching his head than he did on his feet.

Bobby madden seems to think the games should revolve around him, a puffed up tosspot. The Amoo foul second half summed him up, right through the back of Amoo, through the player to clear the ball, a blatant booking but not even a foul.gives nothing unless it's the big team as the only time he wants to see his name in the paper is if he awards the big team a decision.

Bring back Willie Young!

Osmans foul was in the box and was a foul but he swan dived and I found it hilarious that about 5 Aberdeen players surrounded him at the throw in that was given after calling him a cheat when you had......Jonny Hayes falling over coz he's so fast that you can't touch him or it's a free kick, Rooney who's hard as nails when challenging for a ball outside the box but seems to weigh 5 stone when in it, stockley who thinks everytime he doesn't win a header it's a foul and Maddison who spent more time on his arse clutching his head than he did on his feet.

Bobby madden seems to think the games should revolve around him, a puffed up tosspot. The Amoo foul second half summed him up, right through the back of Amoo, through the player to clear the ball, a blatant booking but not even a foul.gives nothing unless it's the big team as the only time he wants to see his name in the paper is if he awards the big team a decision.

Bring back Willie Young!

Good post Kenny..........until the last sentence!

• Like 1

I think some posters are in urgent need of a reality check. Precisely what were they expecting Thistle to do las night, turn Aberdeen over over noproblem?

I thought we competed reasonably well for the majority of the game and maybe should have got a point or maybe even won if the gods of football were with us.

As a Jags fan, I know that we haven't got the supportf/finances to beat Aberdeen regularly, but what I hope to see is my team compete with a reasonable chance of victory. I thought they did that last night.

All this weeping and gnashing of teeth suggests that some supporters may have forgotten the glory, glory years of Billy Lament or Skunner Campbell!

• Like 6

I think some posters are in urgent need of a reality check. Precisely what were they expecting Thistle to do las night, turn Aberdeen over over noproblem?

I thought we competed reasonably well for the majority of the game and maybe should have got a point or maybe even won if the gods of football were with us.

As a Jags fan, I know that we haven't got the supportf/finances to beat Aberdeen regularly, but what I hope to see is my team compete with a reasonable chance of victory. I thought they did that last night.

All this weeping and gnashing of teeth suggests that some supporters may have forgotten the glory, glory years of Billy Lament or Skunner Campbell!

On the button.

I thought we did ok last night and think we are definitely making progress . One player who is not doing enough for me is Doolan. Would like to see either Erskine or Amoo on from the start up front with Azeez. Azeez at least provides a physical presence up front and has pace and is putting himself in positions to score. Doolan fair enough does a power of work off the ball but rarely gets on the ball or in positions to score.

Azeez and Amoo get nothing from the likes of Madden.

Osman gets booked nearly every week by the likes of Madden.

Can anyone suggest why?

Most referees are like Madden.

Could you define what "the likes of Madden" (and his peers) means?

Did you mean most refs in SPL or Scotland only, or most in general, are like him?

Are you suggesting Madden and the likes incorporate a player's skin colour into his refereeing decisions?

Something you don't realise when you are at the game until you see highlights later. Just watched the Beeb highlights and here are my thoughts

1) Almost all of our highlights included a Welsh cornered or free kick. Maybe he is improving.

2) Aberdeen's 1st was lucky. The ball bounced off Rooney's knee to O'Connor

3) If Barton hadn't scored but been awarded a penalty(some hope) McLean would have been booked for the push

4) From Azeez losing the ball at our corner flag, there were 3 additional touches until Stockley scored

5) We should have had a penalty when Osman fell in the box - even if he did swan dive

I think we are disappointed because we could have got at least a draw even although Aberdeen played better. We competed and had decent chances. That isn't always the case.

No 17 ran the show, 22 & 23 just ripped the piss. all in all another dismal home performance. Azeez yet again one on one and plucked it up for want of a better word. Doolan & Erskine know each others game and would have made a far better option, but Doolan comes off and Azeez who lets be fair is a bad amateur, stays on. If Archie is not sacked by the end of November then were stuck with him, his continuing to play Azeez tells me that an agent is dropping him wee brown envelopes. Oh and yes, Victor Devine at the back is in need of a rest, another bombscare performance. Aberdeen just like Hamilton just wouldn't give us a kick at the ball. To the Board if your going to spend money, give it to someone how knows what he's doing, and not in the pocket of some football agent trying to make a quick buck........................!

No 17 ran the show, 22 & 23 just ripped the piss. all in all another dismal home performance. Azeez yet again one on one and plucked it up for want of a better word. Doolan & Erskine know each others game and would have made a far better option, but Doolan comes off and Azeez who lets be fair is a bad amateur, stays on. If Archie is not sacked by the end of November then were stuck with him, his continuing to play Azeez tells me that an agent is dropping him wee brown envelopes. Oh and yes, Victor Devine at the back is in need of a rest, another bombscare performance. Aberdeen just like Hamilton just wouldn't give us a kick at the ball. To the Board if your going to spend money, give it to someone how knows what he's doing, and not in the pocket of some football agent trying to make a quick buck........................!

Utterly ridiculous post. Obviously a rabid idiot .

• Like 2

Hahahaha! Why do you only come out to play after a defeat? I might be wrong, but I don't seem to remember seeing you post very much or anything at all after Dundee and Perth! First defeat in 5 games and against the second best team in Scotland, but going by our two games against them this season, there isn't much between the sides and as someone has already said, if we had a full squad available, things could be a whole lot different.