Sellik 09/12/16

Lindau

To lose a goal 16 seconds after WE kicked off summed it up for me. I think if we are to get better, the likes of Welsh and Elliot shouldn't be offered new contracts. They simply aren't good enough at this level. Elliot, to be fair to the boy, works hard, but give him a football and he is clueless. Our midfielders are powderpuff. Even Osman this year has been well below par. They are bypassed too easily and often don't have any influence or control of the game. I dont think even for our budget we should have such little quality. I don't know what doolan was thinking about either during that first half, he was jumping about like a fairy. Hes still not learned how to time his leap for a header. With Hearts and Celtic again our goal difference is going to take a hammering.

And all would be valid. Losing by three goals to a team with a budget that is 1 to 2 orders of magnitude greater, and have dropped 2 points all season does not make me ashamed. I also thought Azeez was fouled (which should have earned a red card).

Other teams manage to get results against them, now and then. Why is it that only we can not?

Just watched the highlights.

Will Celtic score four easier goals between now and the end of the season? I very much doubt it.

Unless it's against us.

Our defence is quite simply not fit for purpose, if the purpose is to remain in the Premiership.

My brother said it earlier this season when he saw Gordon for the first time: he can go anytime; preferably now.

• Like 1

Calmed down a bit after last night.

Perspective needed, we are sitting 11th and losing daft goals for fun and we are up against a team who hope to go all season unbeaten.

That said the manner of defeat is hard to take. Individual mistakes, repeated individual mistakes, could make this our last year at the top table.

Collectively our defence is poor. A lot poorer than last year no the manager (or the club)need to take responsibility for that.

The most right footed player on the planet plays left midfield - he puts in some defensive shift but nothing going forward.

Cerny isn't fit. Apart from going down in instalments for the second goal, several times the defenders were calling on him to come and collect the ball and he stayed on his line costing us a corner or throw in.

We seem to have a blind spot when it comes to playing Celtic - please can we give it a serous go before we go?

Ps

I assume the club sell tickets for the front rows to the JH stand that have no seat knowing the Celtic fans will not sit as every space looked full. The big hard stewards in the northy spent the game telling weans to get back to their seat or they'll get removed, whilst the fans in the JH can stand and hang over the wall? (Something that is not allowed when we are in there).

I hate everything about playing at home against those 2. Doubt I'll be back against them.

My old man says it every week, "teams must love playing against us" cause the amount of space we give opponents is shocking, stopping 3-4 yards away when they have the ball, close these guys down and give them no space is better than letting them play the ball out all the time.

You saw the difference on the pitch last night but you saw the difference inteh dugout lastnight as well, 'tic score their 3rd and Rodgers is shouting at his team organising them, Archie stands with his hands in his pockets.

Not a football brain anywhere in that team, to many bottlers in the team.

Someone tell me there isnt better out than Welsh and Osman to play in the middle cause for a captain and ex captain there is no leadership, no grit, no-one to say 'mon lets get stuckin.

No wonder crowd number are down for games against the OF if you dont have a season ticket its £25 to watch your team get humped on TV and if you do have a season ticket its punted over to the shocking main stand.

• Like 1

Gordon will be offered another contract like the rest of them

No he won't. We'll bring in a manager from the middle reaches of the EPL, then we'll give him a budget of £25,000,000 to bring in some decent players in the January transfer window then double that next summer to consolidate.

Do you think we could all calm down about. We lost against the best team in the league, so what?

I didn't see all the goals but from what I gather 2 and 3 were down to sloppy play on our part.

For me, this is what we have to focus on and try to eradicate from our game.

But at present we can compete with every other time bar Celtic and the more negative comments on here

are just depressing to read.

I did criticise Liam for his lack of action at Celtic's first but he did ever so well for our goal. More of that Liam please.

As for the 'penalty incident'. Once again, Ade's first touch let him down and from memory I thought Craig Gordon

attempted to pull his arm out of the way, only making neglible contact, if any. Never a penalty, but a yellow card seemed

harsh. But dems the rules these days.

• Like 1

You saw the difference on the pitch last night but you saw the difference inteh dugout lastnight as well, 'tic score their 3rd and Rodgers is shouting at his team organising them, Archie stands with his hands in his pockets

I do agree with this. It's something I have noticed a lot. I don't know how much difference it actually makes in performance if a manager lambastes his team from the touchline, but I know for sure that I would much prefer to see Lambie's impassioned touchline antics than someone who stands arms-folded.

Another Deja vu game vs Celtic. Why do we not try to get in their faces. We give them too much time on the ball and whenever we got the ball we were like rabbits caught in headlights. And what is it with the officials. Brown deserved 2 yellows but got nowt. What was the goal disallowed for ? It may not have been a foul on Azeez, but it wasn't simulation.

Once again I am dejected.

Having had a few hours to cal down! My honest thoughts are

1. Best team, by far that we've played this season, won without even disengaging first gear.

2. Our defending is inept and hopelessly naive, although to be fair when playing against much better players, this often is the result.

3. With the notable exception of Erskine, we posses absolutely no attacking threat, far less offer any creativity. Drools seems to be have been off the pace for some time now carrying an injury perhaps? Obviously, can't fault him for effort as ever., but for whatever reason things aren't happening the way they should for a player with his work rate and ability.

Having had a few hours to cal down! My honest thoughts are

1. Best team, by far that we've played this season, won without even disengaging first gear.

2. Our defending is inept and hopelessly naive, although to be fair when playing against much better players, this often is the result.

3. With the notable exception of Erskine, we posses absolutely no attacking threat, far less offer any creativity. Drools seems to be have been off the pace for some time now carrying an injury perhaps? Obviously, can't fault him for effort as ever., but for whatever reason things aren't happening the way they should for a player with his work rate and ability.

4. The team looked terrified to me last night and at no point did we look confident of getting a result: from the first couple of minutes when Dools was through he seemed to doubt himself and looked to pass it. Instead of beating the entire Celtic defence by himself a la Easter Road a couple of seasons ago.

5. I fully accept that football is a fickle master and as they used to say in financial ads the value of your investment can go down as well as up. Based on this season's evidence, not emotion that seems a strong likelihood for us, unless some huge improvement takes place between now and the end of the season.

Edited by stillresigned

Elliot always seems to be the fall guy.

He was terrible last night but he wasn't alone. It's pretty obvious the guy can't play in a forward position at this level, he doesn't have the ability on the ball (he's not alone sadly).

He was stuck out on the left wing last night, a position he clearly can't play and it showed.

However, he has shown on numerous occasions that he is more than capable of playing at this level in a full back/wing back position.

There are certainly folk in the squad who should be out the door before Christie.

• Like 1

My biggest issue is that we are nearly at Xmas and Archie doesn't know his best team or formation,

Agreed.

The form of his new signings,Gordon,Devine annd Azeez hasn't helped as well as injury but has he scrapped the three at the back?

Thought it looked as if it had potentional and im suprised it's dissapeard so quickly

It is quite telling when most peoples optimism seems to come from the teams around us doing equally as badly, and not from our own performances. It shouldn't matter how many points we are off the Top-6, or how many points the teams around us have dropped. Our survival is in our own hands, and we shouldn't need to rely on another calamitous Dundee United-like collapse in order to avoid relegation. 3 wins all season just is not good enough, and with Hearts, Celtic and Ross County up next (all away from home), we will take 1 point from 9 if we are lucky.

• Like 1

Not really sure about some of the delusional posters on the forum after last nights game , before the game I wasn't really optimistic about getting anything out of the game , more to do with the quality of the team we were playing and unfortunately that proved correct.

I was more disappointed after the Rangers game where we should have got something out of the game, Celtic are at a different level to every team in the league and that showed last night.

More worrying for me is the scapegoats our supporters pick out after every defeat , Elliot , Welsh etc,

Last night Elliot worked tirelessly dovetailing with Callum Booth on the left hand side of the park , I'll agree he didn't offer much in attack but we were under the cosh the majority of the game. On the right hand side of the park Ziggy Gordon got pulled apart time and time again but he got absolutely no support and cover at all firstly from Amoo and Lawless when he came on .

If we're going to be in a dog fight to stay up think I'd rather be in the trenches with players like Christie Elliot who albeit limited will work his bollocks off whatever position he's told to play in , rather than more gifted players whose application comes into question.

• Like 1

How is it? He jumps far too early and is nearly on his way down when the ball reaches him. EVERY time

ETA. Were in a dog fight because our players arent good enough. RE. Elliot, he needs to have more to his game than 'running his bollocks off'

Edited by MonehJags

Archie was fairly scathing of the team in his radio interview last night mainly for a lack in positivity. Certainly difficult to argue with that, tho' with the simplicity Celtic were scoring immaterial to the result.

Not sure Elliott needs singling out for additional criticism. I thought in the first half at least he doubled up well with Booth but that was principally defensively. He'd have been more effective from an attacking point of view down the right but it's hardly his fault Amoo can't play down the left.

Haven't seen the Azeez/Gordon incident again yet but in any case thought at the time he should've gone for goal beforehand. The only positive I can take from Azeez is his decision making is regularly atrocious and that's something I suppose he can improve on.

Finally I've no complaints about away fans being in the Thistle stands provided the away area is sold out. You sit on your hands, keep your mouth shut and pretend you're neutral. I've done it on occasion as I'm sure have many others on here. I feel the line should be drawn when Ma, Pa & the Weans appear wearing Celtic scarves. It says a lot for the tolerance of our support that these apparent* cretins were able to do so without any trouble. Some sort of compromise was reached and the scarves disappeared after half time.

*I say apparent as they could well have been from foreign fields unaccustomed to "protocol" or maybe some care in the community initiative.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett