St Mirren Game Tv Malaga/costa Del Sol

delthejag

Personally don't see why Osman is the captain of the team, no need for that stupid challenge in the middle of the park, 4 up and on a yellow.

Fecking clown and not what I would expect of a captain, what kind of example is he setting with that. Plus is he that vocal ? Don't think I have ever seen him shout and arrange players.

On his day a great player and not a personal attack intended but last season & recently a liability imho. Thoughts ?

Agree.

Doesn't (hasn't for quite a while) deserve what seems to be a guaranteed starting spot in line up.

Just a great performance. No failures, in my opinion.

Very, very happy with that today.

Big shout out for TC's tremendous save in the second half.

ps I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Tam's save in the last few minutes. I was sitting in the hospitality seats in the JH, and he seemed to appear from nowhere to save it. Brilliant save

• Like 1

Thought we were superb yesterday.

Brilliant having Osman and Bannigan back together. I'd say they're probably the best central midfield pairing we've had in my time supporting the club, and offer us the best balance of any available pairing. Bannigan also brings out the best in Booth and Lawless in the way they all link up.

Spittal offers a lot more than Amoo on various levels, and good having someone that's willing to make runs into the box, rather than just cling to the touchline for dear life. Looks a great finisher as well, and I think there's the possibility we might actually make some money on him.

St Mirren on the other hand were dreadful. Genuinely looked a similar level to Formartine United.

That was as clinical as ive ever seen us. We almost took ever chance we had. Some brilliant stuff played as well. In the second half, leading upto osman getting sent off we were poor in possession trying wee fancy flicks which very seldom came off. It looked like he won the ball. Was the ref trying to balance the game after obstructing the st mirren players for the 2nd goal? Joking aside, he was quick to show a 2nd yellow for a 50/50 baw. Spittal was the stand out, covered every blade of grass and took his goals well. Booth better going forward than defending. All in all, it was an enjoyable day

Great stuff for us yesterday but let’s not get carried away either – that was a very poor St Mirren side.

I would be furious if I was a St Mirren fan – Jack Ross set up his side all wrong. They let us play the game exactly the way we wanted to play. You need to close us down and stop us playing – the way they let Barton storm forward from the back was really stupid. I would be asking questions about the manager after that.

That Spittal free kick was top class – the pace he got on it making it impossible to stop.

I still feel the defence was shaky at times – something we could still improve on a bit.

I thought Elliott played much better after being terrible last week.

Good to see Booth back and he played very well – though his legs were done in the last period of the game. He still battled on and got in some vital tackles – the guy has a great attitude on the park.

Some of the comments on here about Osman on here and elsewhere are way over the top. You can’t make any sort of judgement on him given he was nowhere near fit. Abbs was not at his best last year but I am hoping that the stiff competition in midfield will bring the best out of him. We need him or Barton in midfield.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

Football is all about opinions mate. I posted about Osman and Barton not being a good fit in a post on this forum last season. Both players want to come deep for the ball, I can also include Bannigan in that too now he is fit. Good options to have but need to sort out who comes to collect ball. Few times last season, both Osman and Barton went for the same ball and took up similar positions. Perhaps it's been worked on during pre-season. If we continue to use Barton as DC then it's a moot point though. Overall was a really pleasing performance from the team and looking forward to the season.

What really pleased me yesterday was the quality of movement on and off the ball. The first goal was offside,but the other four goals were quality. Spittal was very impressive but the man that made us click was, IMO, Erskine. Hopefully he is over his niggling injury of last season and he terrorises defences all season.

Some of the criticism of Ozzy is harsh to say the least. He's clearly not match fit at the moment. Also, while his contribution is less flashy than others, none of our players shield the back line like him. His positional sense is superb in this regard. When he's not playing he's conspicous by his absence, and by the increased space the opposition enjoy in front of the back four/three.

As for Barton, I think even he'd agree that being the left-side centre-half in a back four is not his ideal position. I think he's best as the central defender in a back three, where he has the licence to step into midfield and carry the ball forward. He's both a defensive and offensive asset in such a role.

Edited by Gnome on the Bing
  • Like 2

Football is all about opinions mate. I posted about Osman and Barton not being a good fit in a post on this forum last season. Both players want to come deep for the ball, I can also include Bannigan in that too now he is fit. Good options to have but need to sort out who comes to collect ball. Few times last season, both Osman and Barton went for the same ball and took up similar positions. Perhaps it's been worked on during pre-season. If we continue to use Barton as DC then it's a moot point though. Overall was a really pleasing performance from the team and looking forward to the season.

Was referring to people making judgments on Osman based upon yesterday's performance.

Having watched the game after having witnessed Ross v Hibs the previous evening I would make the point that we are unlikely to be allowed to play in the SPL in the manner we played yesterday - SPL teams will see that type of football and just seek to physically dominate/bully/foul in order to negate that type of football - it is a pity but this is Scottish league football we are talking about, brawn, allied to the ability to run fast, will tend to come to fore and I fear that those sides which set up to play a greater degree of football will not be the ones who end up basking in any modicum of relative success.

Having said that I called it utterly wrong yesterday so what do I know? :frantic:

From the goal highlights, Spittal & Erskine looked really useful in the same team. But most impressed with the renewed energy & determination of Lawless.

Once we get Keown back and perhaps 1-2 more signings, I think we could do pretty well in the SPFL again.

• Like 1

Not convinced with Barton at C/H. Would put him in midfield against Airdrie with Penrice at back if Keown not ready. Also think Archie should use the young subs a lot earlier.

Think the red card spoiled that chance. Archie is aware that we might need a good goal difference to get through to the knock out stages of this cup. That meant he wanted to keep as much experience on the park as he could in order to if possible keep a clean sheet (and maybe sneak another goal. If we'd stayed to 11 men I reckon the young players would have been on earlier.