Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Some people (you know who you are) will never admit they were wrong. 

"Gary Caldwell has failed, he was brought into secure promotion."

What were you expecting him and the board to say? I've come into the club to avoid relegation? The fans would, quite rightly, have went nuts. A new manager coming into a club is always going to be optimistic. The vast majority of fans knew he had a tough job on trying to recover from Alan Archibald's summer transfer madness. 

He's came in, shipped out the absolute dross and will keep us up without the need for play offs. Whisper it but ... Caldwell has turned it around. For example, look at the away form compared to Archie. I know this upsets some people who would like to see him fail. 

Caldwell has won the last two vital games and yet some still slag him off and bring up comments from Kenny Miller about the Scotland set up - give us a break.

Smile, be positive and just admit to yourselves - Caldwell's not as bad as you thought.  

Well done Gary Caldwell. 

A Doctor writes:

Some patients have asked me to write an article explaining the psychological condition known as the ‘paranoid self-righteousness of the Über-fan’.

This is a delusional condition and very difficult to understand, even for those experienced in psychology of paranoia, although its symptoms are often widespread and easily recognisable in football fans.  Some fans develop personality traits which lead them to view their fellow supporters in terms of an apartheid system of fan classification: ‘Über-fans’ and ‘Ünter-fans’. Most sufferers score highly on Adorno’s F-scale, and exhibit, along with an irrational obeisance to authority, a form of Emotional Attachment Syndrome (EAS) which attaches itself to an object of veneration, for example a particular manager or Board of Directors (‘fan-bois’ in the vernacular), where this tendency causes them to write the name of the said object of veneration in bold type without any textual or grammatical reason.

One of the symptoms of Über-fannery, as I shall call it, is that after the incubation period, they begin to view themselves as a kind of ‘Illuminati’, along with similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers. Über-fans, for example, see themselves as having the right to express any opinion at any time, providing it is loyal to the club and contains not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager; conversely they cannot tolerate criticism and view Ünter-fans as a lesser breed, who should not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night once the debate is largely over. Über-fans, for example will not tolerate any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’. Another symptom is the tendency to exhibit publicly their delusion that an Ünter-fan is ‘not a real fan’. They develop a sufferer’s argot which they frequently verbalise as follows: ‘Were you at the game?’ ‘Do you hold a season ticket?’ ‘Were you on holiday at the time?’

Perhaps the most marked and dangerous symptom (which is evidently ineradicable) is the delusional, indeed schizoid, condition of frequently accusing Ünter-fans (some who have watched the team for over half a century, and attend reserve matches) of wanting the team to lose. Unfortunately, this particular condition (‘Illuminati Syndrome’) is incurable, however it should be addressed by publicly and repeatedly slapping the sufferers of Über-fannery with a large wet fish, preferably a stinking haddock, about the head and face until symptoms abate.

As this article does.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

A Doctor writes:

Some patients have asked me to write an article explaining the psychological condition known as the ‘paranoid self-righteousness of the Über-fan’.

This is a delusional condition and very difficult to understand, even for those experienced in psychology of paranoia, although its symptoms are often widespread and easily recognisable in football fans.  Some fans develop personality traits which lead them to view their fellow supporters in terms of an apartheid system of fan classification: ‘Über-fans’ and ‘Ünter-fans’. Most sufferers score highly on Adorno’s F-scale, and exhibit, along with an irrational obeisance to authority, a form of Emotional Attachment Syndrome (EAS) which attaches itself to an object of veneration, for example a particular manager or Board of Directors (‘fan-bois’ in the vernacular), where this tendency causes them to write the name of the said object of veneration in bold type without any textual or grammatical reason.

One of the symptoms of Über-fannery, as I shall call it, is that after the incubation period, they begin to view themselves as a kind of ‘Illuminati’, along with similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers. Über-fans, for example, see themselves as having the right to express any opinion at any time, providing it is loyal to the club and contains not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager; conversely they cannot tolerate criticism and view Ünter-fans as a lesser breed, who should not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night once the debate is largely over. Über-fans, for example will not tolerate any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’. Another symptom is the tendency to exhibit publicly their delusion that an Ünter-fan is ‘not a real fan’. They develop a sufferer’s argot which they frequently verbalise as follows: ‘Were you at the game?’ ‘Do you hold a season ticket?’ ‘Were you on holiday at the time?’

Perhaps the most marked and dangerous symptom (which is evidently ineradicable) is the delusional, indeed schizoid, condition of frequently accusing Ünter-fans (some who have watched the team for over half a century, and attend reserve matches) of wanting the team to lose. Unfortunately, this particular condition (‘Illuminati Syndrome’) is incurable, however it should be addressed by publicly and repeatedly slapping the sufferers of Über-fannery with a large wet fish, preferably a stinking haddock, about the head and face until symptoms abate.

As this article does.

:clapping::thumbsup2:

And if that's the best the Caldo can conjure out of a squad playing for its survival against a team with nothing tangible to play for, at home, with an enormous support, then he can get tae f---- right now, regardless of next week's score, or where we end up next season.

Walked all over us after we scored. Superior in every area of the park, but particularly in the dugout area.

Keep Caldo and (if lucky) we'll be 'challenging' at the bottom of this league a year from now.

No doubts about it now, this windbag is not the man to lead this club to, or even challenge for, promotion.

Caldwell GTF.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

You were when, at the height of your bawbaggery, you criticised the first half performance against East Fife. Silly old man.

Yes, by listening to radio and following text commentary.

Oh I remember now, you were persistent in your questions as to whether I was at New Bayview. I said I was in Tierra Del Fuego counting penguins. You fell for that wind-up if you believed I was 100’s of miles away on holiday. You see mate, I was on the west coast of Scotland ;) #gullible 

4 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

A Doctor writes:

As this article does.

Quality writing!

The Caldwell reign has been confusing so far, with the good run post Christmas allowing some to suggest he is the future.  

My simple way of judging him is that had he said at interview - “and I think after careful analysis of the team and opposition teams that we will be going into the last game of the season needing a win to be sure to be safe” he would not have got the job.  Correction : should not.  

Now  we must all be behind him and the players next week and be proud of ourselves.  But if we end up safe, the euphoria of survival should not obscure an absolute clusterf@ck of a season. 

16 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

And if that's the best the Caldo can conjure out of a squad playing for its survival against a team with nothing tangible to play for, at home, with an enormous support, then he can get tae f---- right now, regardless of next week's score, or where we end up next season.

Walked all over us after we scored. Superior in every area of the park, but particularly in the dugout area.

Keep Caldo and (if lucky) we'll be 'challenging' at the bottom of this league a year from now.

No doubts about it now, this windbag is not the man to lead this club to, or even challenge for, promotion.

Caldwell GTF.

Ran out of likes, sums up many fans feelings. Thanks semi.

Even those of us who are completely stunned with this manager and this team will keep supporting but that doesn't mean blindly. We were overwhelmed in midfield, the game passed Gordon and spittal by, but the manager stuck with his tactics, he'd not the ability to change the flow of the game. Leaves storey on and takes doolan off??? I know doolan was also poor yesterday but storey is never and never will be a footballer never mind a striker. It's these simple decisions that scanners fans and makes many of us doubt caldwells ability.

2 hours ago, jaf said:

The Caldwell reign has been confusing so far, with the good run post Christmas allowing some to suggest he is the future.  

My simple way of judging him is that had he said at interview - “and I think after careful analysis of the team and opposition teams that we will be going into the last game of the season needing a win to be sure to be safe” he would not have got the job.  Correction : should not.  

Now  we must all be behind him and the players next week and be proud of ourselves.  But if we end up safe, the euphoria of survival should not obscure an absolute clusterf@ck of a season. 

I get this view. Many times I and other on here have cast up the "interview" and referred to jlows line of being impressed with the power point and player analysis.

Now, I will stand corrected, but I've only ever read what jlow said about the interview, to caldwells credit, I've never read him quoting how good his interview was. Perhaps now is a good time to stop referencing that and the club and his assertion he would get us promoted cos it's just clouding the real issue that Caldwell is a gash manager and needs to be punted at the end of the season. No matter how next Saturday plays out. Another performance like yesterday and we'll be off to Montrose for a play off I'm not convinced we'll win.

10 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Even those of us who are completely stunned with this manager and this team will keep supporting but that doesn't mean blindly. We were overwhelmed in midfield, the game passed Gordon and spittal by, but the manager stuck with his tactics, he'd not the ability to change the flow of the game. Leaves storey on and takes doolan off??? I know doolan was also poor yesterday but storey is never and never will be a footballer never mind a striker. It's these simple decisions that scanners fans and makes many of us doubt caldwells ability.

I'm not a big fan of Caldwell but I wish those who continually criticise him would get their facts right. If you don't,  it just looks as though you're pursuing an agenda no matter what!

5 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I get this view. Many times I and other on here have cast up the "interview" and referred to jlows line of being impressed with the power point and player analysis.

Now, I will stand corrected, but I've only ever read what jlow said about the interview, to caldwells credit, I've never read him quoting how good his interview was. Perhaps now is a good time to stop referencing that and the club and his assertion he would get us promoted cos it's just clouding the real issue that Caldwell is a gash manager and needs to be punted at the end of the season. No matter how next Saturday plays out. Another performance like yesterday and we'll be off to Montrose for a play off I'm not convinced we'll win.

If Queens play next week as they did against County in the first 20 minutes, they'll shit us. They should have been 3 up.

59 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Doolan stayed on albeit he played behind mansell and Fitzpatrick.

51 minutes ago, scotty said:

I'm not a big fan of Caldwell but I wish those who continually criticise him would get their facts right. If you don't,  it just looks as though you're pursuing an agenda no matter what!

Not being pedantic, but what are the “ facts “ , most fans I believe have appraised him and made their own minds up on his abilities.

Look at the league table , he’s been here since last October to implement his methods , it hasn’t worked as the league table shows .

That’s the only fact at this moment that should matter .

You can accept that promotion was never going to happen and it was the club’s fault for laying that on Caldwell as an expectation. But you can also simultaneously accept that going into the last game of the season fighting for our survival is an utterly abject failure, and one that Caldwell has to take huge responsibility for - something he has shown zero evidence of ever doing in his entire managerial career, never mind his time with us. 

The season didn’t start in January, and our squad was (obvious diddies notwithstanding) absolutely not so bad as to explain away the atrocious form before then. 

This is nothing to do with not being Archie - Archie had to go. It’s also nothing to do with not being a club legend as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread - I literally wouldn’t care if he had never heard of us before. But it’s got everything to do with the fact that he took over in October, and we are now - with one game to play - staring head on at relegation/a play off. He’s failed. He should go regardless of what happens on Saturday. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

You can accept that promotion was never going to happen and it was the club’s fault for laying that on Caldwell as an expectation. But you can also simultaneously accept that going into the last game of the season fighting for our survival is an utterly abject failure, and one that Caldwell has to take huge responsibility for - something he has shown zero evidence of ever doing in his entire managerial career, never mind his time with us. 

The season didn’t start in January, and our squad was (obvious diddies notwithstanding) absolutely not so bad as to explain away the atrocious form before then. 

This is nothing to do with not being Archie - Archie had to go. It’s also nothing to do with not being a club legend as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread - I literally wouldn’t care if he had never heard of us before. But it’s got everything to do with the fact that he took over in October, and we are now - with one game to play - staring head on at relegation/a play off. He’s failed. He should go regardless of what happens on Saturday. 

That's a really good point about GC being here from October. I tend to forget that, given that things have improved since January. I think I'm traumatised by that run of games from October to December. That's almost an entire season and it's just not good enough to be where we are.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove absolutely anything:frantic:

• admin locked this topic