The Jags Foundation

Norgethistle

This from the Times article.

“TJF have already donated £50,000 to the club to ease some of the pressure, and have pledged a further £10,000 a month for the next year. There’s just one problem – the organisation doesn’t currently generate that much revenue.”

Anyone care to comment on this somewhat troubling statement? Is it true? I’d hate to see us in a Save The Jags Foundation scenario. 

6 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

“TJF have already donated £50,000 to the club to ease some of the pressure, and have pledged a further £10,000 a month for the next year. There’s just one problem – the organisation doesn’t currently generate that much revenue.”

Anyone care to comment on this somewhat troubling statement? Is it true? I’d hate to see us in a Save The Jags Foundation scenario. 

This was discussed during Q&A last night and due to increased membership and existing members increasing their donation amount there appears to be no issue with fulfilling this commitment.

6 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

I thought I read that contributions increased by £4k a month last week, which took the TJF income over the pledged amount.

Was at the  meeting last night their was about 80 members and 27 on zoom   usual faces  from save the jags tbh  spoke about the last board. And the position they left us in .  introduced 3 new members to the tjf board .they seem very confident for the future of the club but obviously still looking for new members and subscriptions    also passed a motion for under 16s to become members of tjf  and that will be getting processed ASAP . 

On 6/16/2023 at 12:21 AM, madcapmilkdrinker said:

To put this in context...

In my Secretary's update to the TJF board about a month ago, I reported that monthly recurring pledges sat at about £7.6k. Once you took into account Thistle Pins sales and our running costs, that shook out to about £8k per month gross profit.

In the last fortnight, we have seen monthly recurring pledges rise to about £13.7k. We are also anticipating that Thistle Pins sales will rise further. Some of our other costs will also rise, such as platform charges, with the increased volume of transactions. But on conservative estimates, we are now raising in excess of £10k per month.

We are very confident, even allowing for the hosting of members' events, supporting community causes, and with general running expenses, that TJF can now sustainably contribute £10kpm to the Club for the foreseeable future.

Before making the up-front £50k donation earlier this month, we had built-up cash reserves well in excess of that (thanks, in part, to a couple of significant one-off donations from members). That meant we could commit the £50k without eliminating our margin of safety (remember that, anyone?) and have enough cash reserves to operate and mobilise regular activities.

In the longer-term, the Club, frankly, would really like to see fan fundraising jump beyond £120kpa. We had suggested to them, when discussing this, that £150k would be a difficult if achievable target (based on the fundraising capability of other fan-owned clubs and our then membership levels).

With our new pledges baseline, that figure is extremely achievable. But there is no complacency at all. The Club will be looking to maximise revenue from other sources too, and in the longer-term it should not be dependent on fan fundraising to balance the budget (it should be a bonus if the Club is commercially well run). In the shorter-term, it is unavoidably part of the solution.

• Like 5

I think the last paragraph is key. Because of what the previous regime left behind the money from TJF is vital but longer term the club should be able to "wash its own face" so TJF funds are a bonus.

I was glad to hear at the AGM on Thursday that Andrew thinks the club's budget is now based on sensible, non pie in the sky assumptions with budgetary controls back in place.

18 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I think the last paragraph is key. Because of what the previous regime left behind the money from TJF is vital but longer term the club should be able to "wash its own face" so TJF funds are a bonus.

I was glad to hear at the AGM on Thursday that Andrew thinks the club's budget is now based on sensible, non pie in the sky assumptions with budgetary controls back in place.

As other TJF board members can attest, Andrew is robust and evidence-based in his approach with far more modest requests for TJF spend, so I have every confidence a Club board with him on it will be equally robust with the Club's budget!

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Aww! So no Champions League then? Disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

In the last fortnight, we have seen monthly recurring pledges rise to about £13.7k. We are also anticipating that Thistle Pins sales will rise further. Some of our other costs will also rise, such as platform charges, with the increased volume of transactions. But on conservative estimates, we are now raising in excess of £10k per month.

Are Thistle Pins available online?

On 6/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, delurker said:

Last 2 to complete my collection arrived today, thanks a lot!

Thanks for collecting, but we have more great pins coming soon so your collection will keep growing. I currently have mine on my scarf and I’m going to end up with a neck like a bison wearing it to the matches

On 6/16/2023 at 10:02 AM, 1876 said:

Was at the  meeting last night their was about 80 members and 27 on zoom   usual faces  from save the jags tbh  spoke about the last board. And the position they left us in .  introduced 3 new members to the tjf board .they seem very confident for the future of the club but obviously still looking for new members and subscriptions    also passed a motion for under 16s to become members of tjf  and that will be getting processed ASAP . 

We are very confident of the future due to a few key factors 

- The membership growth

- The membership engagement 

- The diversity in both membership and board

- The fact the club now has sensible budgeting finally put in place

- Junior membership coming through brings the next generation on the journey from a young age.

We aren’t going to rest on our laurels, we still have a lot to do, and being lent the vote of our members puts a burden of responsibility on each of the board members to make this and the club a success for this generation and the next. 

I would encourage anyone not signed up to do so, it enables us to do more financially for the club, more for the membership and fan base at large and increases the democracy and demographics of the Foundation.

• Like 6