January window

Big Dan

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

There has got to be someone out there who is prepared to take a shot on goal from outside the box, and be on target..

Going to be controversial, sign Lafferty till the end of the season if we want a shot at promotion, with Simon Murray away at QP and Rudden off at Dundee think that weakens their teams .

21 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Going to be controversial, sign Lafferty till the end of the season if we want a shot at promotion, with Simon Murray away at QP and Rudden off at Dundee think that weakens their teams .

No idea of his current fitness and mindset but I did mention to my son earlier if fit he could be a potential Scott Mcdonald type of signing.  Seasoned pro and one we all hated when against us.  Would win us a few pens for sure (whether we score em is a different matter).  Defo think we need a striker in.

35 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Have you forgotten he was done by the SFA for bigoted rhetoric? We do not want people like that at our club. He is utterly repugnant.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Have you forgotten he was done by the SFA for bigoted rhetoric? We do not want people like that at our club. He is utterly repugnant.

Not condoning what he’s done at all but we’ve had players banned by the SFA for indiscretions off the park quite recently , indeed one one of them is still playing for us just now, are you taking the moral high ground on what you deem the worst indiscretion . GRE has become PC , who would have thought.

Edited by jlsarmy

Is McAvoy's contract with Fulham due to expire in the summer? If so and he's decent why didn't we sign him permanently?

If he has a good few months with us he'll be off. If he's not very good then we won't want him.  Either way it looks difficult to see how he will be with us for very long

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Is McAvoy's contract with Fulham due to expire in the summer? If so and he's decent why didn't we sign him permanently?

If he has a good few months with us he'll be off. If he's not very good then we won't want him.  Either way it looks difficult to see how he will be with us for very long

I'm guessing we didn't sign him because either we can't afford a permanent deal, or the player doesn't want a permanent move. Essentially much the same as all loan moves...

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Not condoning what he’s done at all but we’ve had players banned by the SFA for indiscretions off the park quite recently , indeed one one of them is still playing for us just now, are you taking the moral high ground on what you deem the worst indiscretion . GRE has become PC , who would have thought.

Really?  You can relate a betting indiscretion to a case of bigotry?

Where does your moral compass sit.

Aren't Thistle fans known for their hatred of the two scumbags because of bigotry?

Yet, you do condone Lafferty's actions by wanting to bring him to the club.

14 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Nothing against Connor Mc Avoy but do we need a central defender or a right back, has anyone sceen him play ,or are we we  just taking the word of his agent..

Could be agent speak, tho' I doubt it in this case, but Hearts, Aberdeen & Plymouth Argyle all wanted him on loan. 

I too question both the need for a centreback but also how much game time Fulham think he'll get. I worry less about the quality of the player (probably similar to Lewis Mayo in that regard).

As for not adding elsewhere to the squad, I was wondering if McCall is sticking a lot of faith in Hodson. Tho' he may have to cover immediately for McMillan, I was meaning Hodson routinely playing as a defensive mid as opposed to some sort of utility type. Push Bannigan and/or Docherty further up the park into an area where they're more effective. OK, it didn't work on Saturday but I believe that was more down to Banzo & Doc both playing poorly. Whatever, we're constantly punished by teams waltzing thru our middle.

We're relatively OK up and down the flanks so imo we're weakest defensively in midfield. We've tried to plug the gap by having Bannigan AND Docherty attempting to do the work of one dedicated midfield ball winner.  It rarely comes off but even when it does we're more or less wasting one player from attacking duty. Question is whether Hodson will be good enough to fill that role effectively? Or will he too drag another midfielder back for assistance? 

When it becomes clear that we're having great difficulty scoring goals we need to make sure we don't concede. I maintain that with the squad we've got to get results we need to plug up midfield. I'm not sure Hodson's the answer but I'm less sure if we have a viable alternative. 

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Really?  You can relate a betting indiscretion to a case of bigotry?

Where does your moral compass sit.

Aren't Thistle fans known for their hatred of the two scumbags because of bigotry?

Yet, you do condone Lafferty's actions by wanting to bring him to the club.

I’ve probably heard PTFC supporters singing more dubious songs and over the years I’ve judged PTFC players what they’ve done on the park .

So maybe you’re right I have no moral compass.

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Could be agent speak, tho' I doubt it in this case, but Hearts, Aberdeen & Plymouth Argyle all wanted him on loan. 

I too question both the need for a centreback but also how much game time Fulham think he'll get. I worry less about the quality of the player (probably similar to Lewis Mayo in that regard).

As for not adding elsewhere to the squad, I was wondering if McCall is sticking a lot of faith in Hodson. Tho' he may have to cover immediately for McMillan, I was meaning Hodson routinely playing as a defensive mid as opposed to some sort of utility type. Push Bannigan and/or Docherty further up the park into an area where they're more effective. OK, it didn't work on Saturday but I believe that was more down to Banzo & Doc both playing poorly. Whatever, we're constantly punished by teams waltzing thru our middle.

We're relatively OK up and down the flanks so imo we're weakest defensively in midfield. We've tried to plug the gap by having Bannigan AND Docherty attempting to do the work of one dedicated midfield ball winner.  It rarely comes off but even when it does we're more or less wasting one player from attacking duty. Question is whether Hodson will be good enough to fill that role effectively? Or will he too drag another midfielder back for assistance? 

When it becomes clear that we're having great difficulty scoring goals we need to make sure we don't concede. I maintain that with the squad we've got to get results we need to plug up midfield. I'm not sure Hodson's the answer but I'm less sure if we have a viable alternative. 

McCall has said that we need to pick up more points away from home so there may be some merit in what you are suggesting for away games.

However if he's going to stiffen the midfield by playing Hodson, Docherty and Bannigan that means no place for Turner.

Turner is only genuine attacking midfielder, capable of getting beyond the strikers and one of the problems we have playing 4-3-3 is we have limited threat through the middle of the park whilst inadequately covering our fullbacks when they push up.

I would hope that McCall is more looking at changing formation and going to 4-2-3-1 with Hodson and Docherty as the 2 in front of the defence allowing Turner to attack more and the fullbacks to push on. 

The addition of McAvoy does not open up the possibility of playing 3-5-2. That may be attractive defensively and mitigate any effect from Lawless and Tiffoney being unavailable. If we had that option on Saturday it would been better than forcing Turner onto the wing.

No matter what I would hope that McCall is able to start changing formation during games rather than sticking rigidly to 4-3-3

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, laukat said:

McCall has said that we need to pick up more points away from home so there may be some merit in what you are suggesting for away games.

However if he's going to stiffen the midfield by playing Hodson, Docherty and Bannigan that means no place for Turner.

Turner is only genuine attacking midfielder, capable of getting beyond the strikers and one of the problems we have playing 4-3-3 is we have limited threat through the middle of the park whilst inadequately covering our fullbacks when they push up.

I would hope that McCall is more looking at changing formation and going to 4-2-3-1 with Hodson and Docherty as the 2 in front of the defence allowing Turner to attack more and the fullbacks to push on. 

The addition of McAvoy does not open up the possibility of playing 3-5-2. That may be attractive defensively and mitigate any effect from Lawless and Tiffoney being unavailable. If we had that option on Saturday it would been better than forcing Turner onto the wing.

No matter what I would hope that McCall is able to start changing formation during games rather than sticking rigidly to 4-3-3

I'm not suggesting dropping Turner. Apart from being creative he's integral re goals scored from set pieces. Thinking more along the lines if enough forward players fit not necessarily starting both Bannigan and Docherty. I'd probably favour Bannigan starting in home matches and Doc for games away.

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm not suggesting dropping Turner. Apart from being creative he's integral re goals scored from set pieces. Thinking more along the lines if enough forward players fit not necessarily starting both Bannigan and Docherty. I'd probably favour Bannigan starting in home matches and Doc for games away.

Don't overlook that we can still bring players in on loan (& loan players out) until end of Feb, according to BBC. Given our recent injury history I would hope McCall would pursue this

23 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Rudden off to St Johnstone from Dundee after 12 months.  The boy does not hang around much.

Wasn't Rudden signed by McPake a couple of months before he was sacked and replaced by McGhee?

I don't think McGhee or his replacement  Bowyer  fancy Rudden so not surprised to see him leave Dundee, albeit on loan.

He might blossom at Saint Johnstone as Callum Davidson  clearly rates him for his overall qualities and not just his goals. Suspect Rudden's days at Dundee are numbered!