Morton Match - 7th January

Fawlty Towers

For me a poor first half from both sides. We came out better in the second half got a goal ahead, then conceded a very poor goal. Turner was slack with a pass,then when trying to win the ball back gave away a foul. The ball punted into the box was not well defended and they equalised. After that the game was a bit end to end, but in the last 10minutes or so i think Morton were happy with a point, we pressed a bit more and got the winner in the dying minutes of the game.Morton did press more in the remaining minutes but we held on for 3 very important points. Good to see Tiffoney back considering the time he has had out i thought he did ok. Also good to have Holt back. Hodson did alright but i did feel we missed Milne. Graham looked off it today but he got no help from the ref as he seemed to find it ok for Morton defenders to climb all over him or even hold on to him.

Good to see @ sandy and also @partickthedog.

If we could just sort out our away form i feel we would be in the top 4 comfortably.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Of all the teams to beat with a late , late goal that mob from Greenock is utterly delicious 

As i left Firhill today i was wondering what was the best way to win, todays late winner or the 5-1 drubbing we gave them earlier on in the season. Although not good for the old ticker  i think todays late winner just shades it, although for goal difference the 5-1 does help as well. Let's face it any Thistle win is great. :happy2: :fan:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

it might even stop the whingers on this Forum from repeating the same "McCall's rubbish" post 20 times in succession at least until the next game.

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

McCall's rubbish

Edited by McCall Out
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

That was the poorest I have seen us play at Firhill this season which made the late winner all the sweeter. It was a dour game...Morton had improved from their comically bad last visit to Firhill but they are just a team of spoilers...I believe this was their first defeat in 10 games which is surely another sign that a team wouldn't have to be very good to make the play-offs in this League. I would be appalled if ex Jags Crawford, Muirhead & Quitongo were anywhere near our first team.

I was quite pleased that we were getting a corner from Fitzpatrick's shot...I was level with Aiden when he hit the shot and wasn't sure there was a deflection...it might have been outside the box...so clearly a stonewaller 😀. I am sure I have seen us lose their goal at least four times previously this season. I didn't realise the winner was a lucky deflection too...tremendous!

That wee nyaff Imrie being red carded was a highlight...it was also good to shut up the Morton morons in Hospitality and the result will hopefully sicken the high proportion of Greenock tossers who post on Pie and Bovril...it might even stop the whingers on this Forum from repeating the same "McCall's rubbish" post 20 times in succession at least until the next game.

McCall is rubbish.

Just seen the highlights and the ref gets it right for the penalty. Morton player has his hands up and is inside the penalty box. Not sure Fitzpatrick's shot would have been on target but defenders can't put their arms up like that and not expect the referee to award a penalty. 

Also second goal is an own goal. Mullen gets a strike on the boal but without it hitting the Morton defender its going well wide. 

From what I saw online, we looked too slow (too many sideways followed by backwards passes that serve no purpose) except for a few runs by Fitpatrick (final balls terrible) and Tiffoney. In the final third, there was absolutely no movement by players in or around the box, no runners, nobody trying to create space. In the meantime the opposition defence is getting back in numbers. The tactic was a floated ball for a hopeful header toward goal or a knockdown by Graham. And it didn't work.

Glad and relieved that ended in a needed win.

When I saw the team sheet I thought McMillan would play left back and Hodson right. In hindsight, it might have been been better to have had Brownlie in instead of Hodson and played Holt at left back. Regarding the game itself, I think we were a bit fortunate to get the win as we could hardly put any kind of play together. I felt Morton moved the ball a bit quicker and a bit more direct, when their keeper wasn’t slowing things down.

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

As i left Firhill today i was wondering what was the best way to win, todays late winner or the 5-1 drubbing we gave them earlier on in the season. Although not good for the old ticker  i think todays late winner just shades it, although for goal difference the 5-1 does help as well. Let's face it any Thistle win is great. :happy2: :fan:

Was asking myself the same question. I sit near Hospitality and Ideally at full time I should've questioned that horde of delightful Tail of the Bankers what type of defeat they prefer.

eta Have I just invented a new rhyming slang? :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry can't agree with you. Put two upfront and we'll revert to hoofball. Anyway it's fairly obvious we need two mids in front of the defence, albeit to do the job of one competent ball winner. I wouldn't drop Fitzpatrick (Tiffoney), Lawless or Turner just to accommodate a rather immobile forward. I would tho' emphasise the importance of those three I mention to not leave Graham isolated. 

Still think our problem is too many balls being knocked in to the box and Graham not getting on to enough of them. Totally agree with you about hoofball....that's the last thing I want to watch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

By some reports we were humped, but still won. Lol

Were you at the game ?.Sure ,we were not great with key players either missing or getting over long term injuries,however,we had enough guile and fortitude to claim a hard fought victory against a team of essentially time wasting hammer throwers looking for a draw .Would be interested to see what “reports” you are referring to saying we were “humped” ?. 

Edited by Anniesland Jag
Mistake
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

We’re you at the game ?.Sure ,we were not great with key players either missing or getting over long term injuries,however,we had enough guile and fortitude to claim a hard fought victory against a team of essentially time wasting hammer throwers looking for a draw .Would be interested to see what “reports” you are referring to saying we were “humped” ?. 

Oh my! Jags fans are a sensitive lot these days! Lol