McCall Sacked

elevenone

30 minutes ago, G13 jag said:

I’m still struggling to find a reason for the dismissal of the management team.  Is there malice involved?

Have you seen the way the teams played since the turn of the year, seen the results, heard the jeers from the crowd or noticed the falling attendances?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G13 jag said:

I’m still struggling to find a reason for the dismissal of the management team.  Is there malice involved?

The reason is in their statements. It is strategic in order to gain promotion.

ie. In the eyes of the board we have a better chance of promotion without him than with him. Your views may differ, but the board run the club.

32 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The reason is in their statements. It is strategic in order to gain promotion.

ie. In the eyes of the board we have a better chance of promotion without him than with him. Your views may differ, but the board run the club.

Really ? That’s the strategy. Anybody has a better chance of promotion than McCall ? I wonder if that’s how they pitched it to Doolan.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Really ? That’s the strategy. Anybody has a better chance of promotion than McCall ? I wonder if that’s how they pitched it to Doolan.

Not sure they would've pitched anything to Doolan. Or better phrased, needed to pitch anything. Kris is just required to take the reins meantime. Perhaps the only choice if Graham is both a player and Women's team coach. These interim appointments are nearly always in house.

Kris in time will have to apply for the job if advertised. Either that or if offered it on a contracted basis he can choose whether to take it or leave it. A rather bleak view but If there was any pitch to Doolan it could just as easy have been along the lines of "the job's yours if you want it. We can't afford anyone else." 

• Like 1

Having watched the dreadful standard of the Morton V Dundee game last night and the fact we’re behind both teams with our squad of players, it’s easy to see why McCall lost his job.

The standard of the league is poor this year and with our starting XI we should be much closer to the top of the league.

McCall did a good job at a difficult time in our history and steadied the ship. History tends to show he doesn’t have that next step to take a team to the top league which is ultimately what our target is.

The timing of the sacking might have been poor but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t the correct decision.

Doolan’s a bright guy and I’m sure he’ll have the team up for today.

Whether he’s the best candidate just now, I’m not sure. I guess the list of applicants and who we can actually afford will be the main factors. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Having watched the dreadful standard of the Morton V Dundee game last night and the fact we’re behind both teams with our squad of players, it’s easy to see why McCall lost his job.

The standard of the league is poor this year and with our starting XI we should be much closer to the top of the league.

McCall did a good job at a difficult time in our history and steadied the ship. History tends to show he doesn’t have that next step to take a team to the top league which is ultimately what our target is.

The timing of the sacking might have been poor but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t the correct decision.

Whether he’s the best candidate just now, I’m not sure. I guess the list of applicants and who we can actually afford will be the main factors. 

Sums it up for me.  That game last night was grim and to be brutally honest teams that have Ally Roy and Sean Mcginty are above us in league which is ultimately what got McCall his jotters.

Dools will get full backing of fans today and hopefully the players repsond which they have shown they can do when the mood takes them.  I predict goals today but as long as we score more than Ayr it will be a good end to a turbulent week.

27 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

We cant afford anyone at present - so we are clear the Board have decided that Dools is a better option than McCall ( which is there decision ) 

9 hours ago, Big Col said:

Have you seen the way the teams played since the turn of the year, seen the results, heard the jeers from the crowd or noticed the falling attendances?

Your reference to attendances made me look.  We had 3600 v Morton, helped by a large away support.  Crowds dropped v Hamilton and cove.  But I doubt that was due to the victory v Morton.

I can not understand how an intern board can make such a decision.  We’re still in with a shout of the league mainly due to the fact no one team can pull away from the rest.  We’ve played some awful football, mostly due to lack of depth in the squad, but also some of the best football seen at Firhill in a decade.

we have no funds to bring in a replacement Managenent team.

we are in the midst of a titanic fight for fan ownership, which has only been a struggle due to the behaviour of the previous board.

yet, a decision was made to remove an experienced team. I’ve thought about why this decision was made, even allowing the possibility that experienced players may have made noises, but this was dispelled with Doolan’s interview.  I can only see 2 people who started this move - CEO and the chair, both involved in the shares issue.

my conclusion?  I’m really struggling.  Malicious?

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We cant afford anyone at present - so we are clear the Board have decided that Dools is a better option than McCall ( which is there decision ) 

So, if you are claiming that the board have in fact appointed Kris Doolan as our next manager, do you know the state of the club's finances as fact or conjecture like everyone else on here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Kenny said:

The key phrase in your post is “with our starting 11”, which we have hardly had since October. Kind of ironic that he gets the sack just when it looks like we have a full squad to pick from. If Doolan gets better results without a full squad, then I think I think the decision will have been justified, otherwise it will be unclear.

1 hour ago, G13 jag said:

Your reference to attendances made me look.  We had 3600 v Morton, helped by a large away support.  Crowds dropped v Hamilton and cove.  But I doubt that was due to the victory v Morton.

I can not understand how an intern board can make such a decision.  We’re still in with a shout of the league mainly due to the fact no one team can pull away from the rest.  We’ve played some awful football, mostly due to lack of depth in the squad, but also some of the best football seen at Firhill in a decade.

we have no funds to bring in a replacement Managenent team.

we are in the midst of a titanic fight for fan ownership, which has only been a struggle due to the behaviour of the previous board.

yet, a decision was made to remove an experienced team. I’ve thought about why this decision was made, even allowing the possibility that experienced players may have made noises, but this was dispelled with Doolan’s interview.  I can only see 2 people who started this move - CEO and the chair, both involved in the shares issue.

my conclusion?  I’m really struggling.  Malicious?

I’m really struggling to understand why some try to defend McCall (JJ I get as they were friends and I would defend my friends). But in truth the team (whether full or depleted) was underachieving and going nowhere. He has been here for long enough to get it working the way he wants. It really isn’t hard to come to the conclusion that the board came to.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m really struggling to understand why some try to defend McCall (JJ I get as they were friends and I would defend my friends). But in truth the team (whether full or depleted) was underachieving and going nowhere. He has been here for long enough to get it working the way he wants. It really isn’t hard to come to the conclusion that the board came to.

Absolutely! Unfortunately many of our fans accept mediocrity. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Absolutely! Unfortunately many of our fans accept mediocrity. 

Isn't it just about supporting your team through thick and thin? This is what most football supporters do, including many who support bigger clubs like Newcastle for example.

I'll be honest here and say that I think we're partly in the position we're in, due to some of our own support, who pretty much turned against anything the wider Thistle team were trying to do.

Some, turned against the team in a variety of ways, including suggesting boycotts, when we were doing pretty well in the league.

We've had to listen to suggestions that include removing Gaelic signage, removing the board, removing the teams' ambassadors (including a Thistle legend), removing most of the management team because we shouldn't have goalie trainers, statisticians or assistants and of course removing the manager. I'm sure there's more.

I'll never turn against Thistle but some of these people and suggestions, have made me sick to the core. It's noticeable that at least one of the protagonists has left the forum, maybe having achieved what they set out to do.

Anyway, Up The Jags and a massive Up You to anyone with ulterior motives and intentions that don't belong at our Club.  

23 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Isn't it just about supporting your team through thick and thin? This is what most football supporters do, including many who support bigger clubs like Newcastle for example.

I'll be honest here and say that I think we're partly in the position we're in, due to some of our own support, who pretty much turned against anything the wider Thistle team were trying to do.

Some, turned against the team in a variety of ways, including suggesting boycotts, when we were doing pretty well in the league.

We've had to listen to suggestions that include removing Gaelic signage, removing the board, removing the teams' ambassadors (including a Thistle legend), removing most of the management team because we shouldn't have goalie trainers, statisticians or assistants and of course removing the manager. I'm sure there's more.

I'll never turn against Thistle but some of these people and suggestions, have made me sick to the core. It's noticeable that at least one of the protagonists has left the forum, maybe having achieved what they set out to do.

Anyway, Up The Jags and a massive Up You to anyone with ulterior motives and intentions that don't belong at our Club.  

I assume that some of that rant was directed at me. I have been a supporter since 1969, so I think I can claim to have supported the club through thin and thinner. In all that time I have given the team 100%, unconditional support during every match, whether I personally liked or not the individuals on the board, management or players.

I never personally supported the withdrawal of funding, but I respect the rights of those that did to support the club in whatever way they see best.

What I won’t support is clear mismanagement of the club or reneging of the desires of our late major shareholder. They deserved all the criticism they received, but that doesn’t mean I ever stopped supporting the club.

I have never hidden that I have a personal dislike of Ian McCall (just like JJ has never hidden his friendship) and I firmly believe that his record was at best mediocre. I reserve the right to protest about mediocrity in the club I love.

Finally can I wish all the best to all of the Jags support, whether I agree with their views or not. I hope that we are all celebrating tonight and at the end of this season .

2 hours ago, scotty said:

So, if you are claiming that the board have in fact appointed Kris Doolan as our next manager, do you know the state of the club's finances as fact or conjecture like everyone else on here?

No - but given we got circa £275k from Rangers but despite that -the Board are making public statements regards we still “significant” financial challenges -you don't have to be a genius to figure out we are skint   

27 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I assume that some of that rant was directed at me. I have been a supporter since 1969, so I think I can claim to have supported the club through thin and thinner. In all that time I have given the team 100%, unconditional support during every match, whether I personally liked or not the individuals on the board, management or players.

I never personally supported the withdrawal of funding, but I respect the rights of those that did to support the club in whatever way they see best.

What I won’t support is clear mismanagement of the club or reneging of the desires of our late major shareholder. They deserved all the criticism they received, but that doesn’t mean I ever stopped supporting the club.

I have never hidden that I have a personal dislike of Ian McCall (just like JJ has never hidden his friendship) and I firmly believe that his record was at best mediocre. I reserve the right to protest about mediocrity in the club I love.

Finally can I wish all the best to all of the Jags support, whether I agree with their views or not. I hope that we are all celebrating tonight and at the end of this season .

It was directed at anyone that in my view, has damaged our chances of promotion this year.

It wasn't aimed at any particular person, you included, as I would mostly be unable to point out who has those views at an individual level, as I try and switch off from the negativity.

There are of course a couple of posters who's views are quite obvious and quite repetitive. But again, my post wasn't written with those exact people in mind.

I wrote what I did, to point out, that in my view, the blame doesn't solely lie with the Club and the Management team and that getting rid of everyone may not be the answer.

Apologies, meant to respond as a quote.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

OK so we are clear - I have never once defended the performance of Ian McCall 

I have questioned ( along with other posters ) the logic of the dismissal to be replaced by someone with No Management experience 

I have questioned the Justification stated by the Board stating the target was promotion - which was a target set by the previous Board - despite AR saying that the target was second place ( and promotion via play offs ) 

Ive questioned that its implied there will be a replacement management team - whilst also stating there are Financial Issues at the Club ( others have also questioned this ) 

its the Boards job to look at the big picture - not Knee Jerk reactions to a couple of bad results 

7 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

No - but given we got circa £275k from Rangers but despite that -the Board are making public statements regards we still “significant” financial challenges -you don't have to be a genius to figure out we are skint   

Equally you don’t need to be a genius to notice that the new board have been looking at the finances in some detail. They are clearly more aware of the exact situation than anyone on here is and have concluded that the finances will support their decision and whatever they decide as the next step. I think they have done enough to trust them on the finances