Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Kyle Turner going to Ross County

Why ?

Not going to enhance his career, bottom 3 of the SPFL at best .

Going to enhance his payment though.  Offered reduced wages by us or probably 3 times this by Roy McGregor - maybe even more bonuses as well, house paid for by the club etc.  Its also still a higher division than the championship.

Football can be a short career for guys like Turner, Docherty, Turner and Holt.  All are likely at the very least doubling their wages maybe more.  Dont begrudge any of them moves and given they appear to have been offered reduced terms with us can anyone really begrudge them the chance to earn more money.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Going to enhance his payment though.  Offered reduced wages by us or probably 3 times this by Roy McGregor - maybe even more bonuses as well, house paid for by the club etc.  Its also still a higher division than the championship.

Football can be a short career for guys like Turner, Docherty, Turner and Holt.  All are likely at the very least doubling their wages maybe more.  Dont begrudge any of them moves and given they appear to have been offered reduced terms with us can anyone really begrudge them the chance to earn more money.

I agree with the above which I think reflects the reality of Scottish Football and particularly the Jags. Excepting the Old Firm every club in professional football needs money behind them that's additional to revenue from gate receipts and commercial activities. While we were fortunate to have the support for our Academy from the late Colin Weir we have always been a club without money! 

Not taking anything away from Clubs like Motherwell, St Mirren, Ross County, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd and even Hearts and Aberdeen but they all have a history of being able to call on financial resources over and above gate and commercial revenues. That is why they are in the SPL.

The problems we have could be easily solved with the backing of a multi-millionaire who is prepared to put money into the stadium and directly into the 'Football Department', ie signing and paying players!

What happen to FFP?

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A hard tackling ball winning defensive mid. Someone who can break up play. Realise that finances are probably excluding an Osman/Rowson class and more likely Jimmy Gibson level, but having one fella doing the dirty work is better than relying on two (Banzo & Doc) sharing duties. Leave Bannigan to do the distributing etc.

Agree with that. I was hoping to see someone like Scott Martin as I think he ticks most of the boxes but he has signed another contract at Hamilton. He's getting on a bit but perhaps Alan Power could be an option? 

Archie tried to make Bannigan the DFM with Craig Slater as the box to box playmaker. That experiment showed Bannigan can't do that job as his tackling isn't great and he's prone to the odd wayward pass back. Even last season when Docherty was injured and we had a midfield of Turner and Bannigan you could see it was too lightweight. 

From what I have seen of Lyon he's probably best suited to playing as the attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 so we definetly need someone new in the door.

It will be interesting to see the age and type of player(s) (if any!) are recruited this close season. The conventional wisdom seems to be that, given the financial situation at the club, winning the league, or qualifying for the play-offs is almost certainly out-with the potential capabilities of the squad that is being assembled (or, if you prefer, dismantled). 

In that respect the development of a squad that could challenge nearer to the top of the league in future years would seem to be a priority - quite how this can be achieved remains - at least to me - a huge challenge and I do not envy Dools (and the rather anonymous Board) that task. 

14 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

It will be interesting to see the age and type of player(s) (if any!) are recruited this close season. The conventional wisdom seems to be that, given the financial situation at the club, winning the league, or qualifying for the play-offs is almost certainly out-with the potential capabilities of the squad that is being assembled (or, if you prefer, dismantled). 

In that respect the development of a squad that could challenge nearer to the top of the league in future years would seem to be a priority - quite how this can be achieved remains - at least to me - a huge challenge and I do not envy Dools (and the rather anonymous Board) that task. 

We’ve got the basis of a good team

Mcmillan , Lawless , Harry Milne , BG , Fitzpatrick even Sneddon or Mitchell , Muirhead and Bannigan 

All these players are capable in the Championship 

Think it’s the pool of players we’ll be struggling with if we get injuries 

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ve got the basis of a good team

Mcmillan , Lawless , Harry Milne , BG , Fitzpatrick even Sneddon or Mitchell , Muirhead and Bannigan 

All these players are capable in the Championship 

Think it’s the pool of players we’ll be struggling with if we get injuries 

Think you are right.

Last season our first choice starting 11 was capable of beating every team in the league with our backups able to beat most teams. The fact we never performed that way is probably more to do with the manager than the playing squad he had assembled.

Next season our starting 11 will be good enough to beat most teams but our backups might only be good enough to win against some. The manager will dictate if we achieve, underachieve, or overachieve.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

The comparison between Bannigan not being able to play a forward pass and hoofball is a false one. No one is asking that Bannigan play a long aimless pass.

However he repeatedly makes very decent forward runs, carrying the ball quickly into positions where the opposition defence is stretched and rather than playing a quick forward obvious pass, he will check back on himself and play the safe pass. We lose the opportunity to score as he does not want to risk losing possession. Bannigan's strength is his ability to run and go box to box, his safety first policy works well when play is in our half but that mindset in the opposition half slows our attacking momentum.

As I've commented earlier with Docherty gone, signing Bannigan made sense and I still think he's a relatively cheap signing. When you consider what the cost and risk would be of finding someone new of similar ability and experience its not hard to see why he's got a new deal. I can even get the 2 year part of it as finances dictate we can't afford better for the next 2 seasons. However I do hope Doolan can get him to take a few more risks in the attacking 3rd.

Fair enough.

On the 2 year deal - no-one knows how that came about for quite a few of the players. Maybe Doolan believes players generally perform better when they have a more settled future, or maybe Doolan wasn't able to offer the same wages, and used the offer of a 2 year contract to soften the blow.

21 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

McCready has signed a two year extension…. So is Dools trying to get Mitchell out? Otherwise why has he offered a contract extension to Sneddon? We don’t need 3 keepers 

Maybe he knows Sneddon is likely to move on anyway, but by offering a contract we retain the right to certain development fees in future. Or he sees McCready for the future but plans to loan him out again (I suspect his wages are very small).

16 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

McCready has signed a two year extension…. So is Dools trying to get Mitchell out? Otherwise why has he offered a contract extension to Sneddon? We don’t need 3 keepers 

Morton were rumoured to be in for Sneddon but they signed another keeper yesterday so perhaps Sneddon doesn't have another offer on the table that's better than what Doolan has offered Sneddon?

If he's offered Sneddon two years on reduced terms does Sneddon take that hoping that at the end of this season Mitchell leaves and he becomes No.1?

Would be strange to have 3 keepers if money is tight but a lot will come back to how much they are actually getting as a wage. Don't imagine McCready is on much, If Sneddon comes back on a 2 year deal but less per month it might wash its face financially

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Kyle Turner going to Ross County

Why ?

Not going to enhance his career, bottom 3 of the SPFL at best .

The ultimate insult, Kyle signing  for that bellend. Kyle is a great player, but Ross County ffs

Edited by sandy