Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

7 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Sneds signs a 1 year extension, I thought he would be for the off. 

I said he would be our marquee signing. I’m surprised financially we can afford 3 keepers though and hope it’s not at the expense of not being able to afford adequate replacements for our departed players 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

So, what we got as a squad now.

Mitchell

Sneddon

McCreary 

McMillan 

Milne

Muirhead

Lawless

Bannigan

McKenzie

Lyons

Stanway

Dowds

Graham

Fitzpatrick 

Anyone I've missed?

Can't see anyone missing unless we are counting Ji Stevenson or Ricco Diack as part of the first team squad?

With 14 signed and 3 of them keepers then we still need another 7 or 8.

In my opinion we need at least 2 central defenders and a covering fullback, 2 midfielders, a winger and a striker.

Can't see 3 keepers being needed so either McCready out on loan again or Mitchell is going.

11 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

So, what we got as a squad now.

Mitchell

Sneddon

McCreary 

McMillan 

Milne

Muirhead

Lawless

Bannigan

McKenzie

Lyons

Stanway

Dowds

Graham

Fitzpatrick 

Anyone I've missed?

There is a listing of the current contracted squad in the Thistle archive.

4 minutes ago, Cfirejkl said:

While I am glad he signed, I don’t believe we have the luxury of having 3 keepers

Would rather the budget was spent in the outfield.

A lot depends on their contracts. Low basic/high appearance rate for instance. I wouldn't imagine one keeper going out on loan with two in the squad against only two keepers and the cost of an emergency loan will differ much. Of course it's possible, tho' unlikely, that neither of two keepers will get injured/suspended. And I'm imagining the host club would be paying a considerable slice of the loanee's wage. Whatever I imagine the cost to budget of a third keeper is marginal.

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A lot depends on their contracts. Low basic/high appearance rate for instance. I wouldn't imagine one keeper going out on loan with two in the squad against only two keepers and the cost of an emergency loan will differ much. Of course it's possible, tho' unlikely, that neither of two keepers will get injured/suspended. And I'm imagining the host club would be paying a considerable slice of the loanee's wage. Whatever I imagine the cost to budget of a third keeper is marginal.

If that is the case then it would make sense.  Just don’t want to have to go without coverage where we need it.

If that’s the squad then McMillan and Milne should be telling their agents get me out of here. If we are so broke why are we running a woman’s team and an academy? Surely the money must be spent on the men’s team or let’s just call it a day. I have bought 2 season tickets because I really believed the money would be spent on the first team squad, all I’m reading on the official site is women signings.
Why do we need 3 goalkeepers ok Doolan says he has players lined up but how could we not have offered Holt a decent contract to stay. Are we so broke that 5 have left who I assume are our top earners could we not have kept at least one of them.

10 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

If that’s the squad then McMillan and Milne should be telling their agents get me out of here. If we are so broke why are we running a woman’s team and an academy? Surely the money must be spent on the men’s team or let’s just call it a day. I have bought 2 season tickets because I really believed the money would be spent on the first team squad, all I’m reading on the official site is women signings.
Why do we need 3 goalkeepers ok Doolan says he has players lined up but how could we not have offered Holt a decent contract to stay. Are we so broke that 5 have left who I assume are our top earners could we not have kept at least one of them.

Thanks for getting your season tickets.

The womens team generate their own funding so their signings are not having any negative impact on Kris' budget. The youth academy, as I understand it, is also fairly self sufficient and without it the squad would be a lot smaller.

It is always frustrating when we lose players but given what the previous regime left behind we have to tighten our belts and get on with it.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Thanks FT but I can’t be the only one on here wondering what the hell is going on, the board is silent, all out best players are leaving, we’re giving 2 year contracts to players who don’t deserve it. I am a supporter of over 70 years, I’ve seen it all but I’ve never felt so worried as I feel now. 

3 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

Thanks FT but I can’t be the only one on here wondering what the hell is going on, the board is silent, all out best players are leaving, we’re giving 2 year contracts to players who don’t deserve it. I am a supporter of over 70 years, I’ve seen it all but I’ve never felt so worried as I feel now. 

To echo Fawlty Towers, we have to tighten out belts and survive. 2 years to the youngsters would probably be pretty cheap. The 2 year contract to Bannigan is the only one I would disagree with. Regards Holt, if it true he is off to Arabs FC, then we probably couldn't match them at any time.

5 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

Agree that some communication would be good and have said that to Gerry Britton.

In regards to your other points I think we will probably need to take a step back football wise this season but now we have gotten rid of the previous regime and the work that is being done to get things back on track under fan ownership I am actually feeling quite positive about the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

To echo Fawlty Towers, we have to tighten out belts and survive. 2 years to the youngsters would probably be pretty cheap. The 2 year contract to Bannigan is the only one I would disagree with. Regards Holt, if it true he is off to Arabs FC, then we probably couldn't match them at any time.

Thanks GRE but not buying it surely getting rid of 4 high earners would have been enough to keep Holt, in fact Brownlies wages to Holt would have been enough. We can’t go into a new season with this mindset. Time to hear from the board, stop asking people to buy season tickets until they know what they are buying into.

14 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

Thanks GRE but not buying it surely getting rid of 4 high earners would have been enough to keep Holt, in fact Brownlies wages to Holt would have been enough. We can’t go into a new season with this mindset. Time to hear from the board, stop asking people to buy season tickets until they know what they are buying into.

As rumoured, that these players were offered lesser terms from their old contract, then it is obvious they would turn it down. We have to face the fact that the previous board left us in a financial mess and we now have to within our means, which quite frankly are not big.

21 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

Out of all the players that have left , Kevin Holt Is the biggest loss and maybe Tiff but a big chance for Aiden Fitzpatrick to establish himself in Tiffs place 

Possibly would have kept Danny Mullen who got better as he got fitter and scored important goals for us .

The rest of the players who have left won’t be that difficult to replace .