Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

On 7/30/2023 at 6:01 PM, Lenziejag said:

From what I have seen in the last 2 weeks, I would agree that Stanway needs another spell on loan but Lyon looks better than Williamson as a Turner replacement.

Agreed here, I think stanway has a lot of potential but personally think his performances in the league cup games were slightly overrated by a lot of fans. I thought personally against Falkirk and united he looked a little bit out of his depths at times in all honesty. Lyon on the other hand I think has serious talent. He finds brilliant pockets is space and is a very positive and creative footballer from what I’ve seen so far. Can chip in with a goal and assist by the looks of it. I would like to see him given a good chance this season to become hopefully our next best asset since fitzy first time around. A loan for stanway for another year might be best should squad size allow. Everyone is mentioning Mackenzie as cover at full back and wide which I think is unfortunate for him slightly, I think his best position is in midfield and I think given the choice himself he would likely ideally feature in a more out and out midfield role, oppose to a winger or full back. Such is the circumstances of this season upcoming though that looks to be his role and I just hope it won’t stop his progression somewhat. He’s is a capable full back regardless due to his attitude. Finally, would also agree re Alston signing in some above posts. This 100% says to me Robinson is going to be out for a while and this is a cover signing knowing he’s going to be crocked for the opening weeks/months of the season.

McInroy seems a decent player.

With Bannigan, Alston, Williamson, Robison and McInroy competing for 2 maximum 3 starting slots it poses an a question over who should start.

Part of me wonders if we are going to change formation and play a proper 4-3-3 with a switch at some points to 4-4-2 rather than last seasons 4-2-3-1 that became a 4-2-4. 

With those 4 available I can't see Stanway or Lyon getting much playing time.

Ideally, the new players and the established ones will gel quickly. It would be great if it happens fast (on Saturday, for example!), but if not, then we need to give them some slack until it all starts to come together. Let's remember that last season, things weren't all rosy throughout the season, until we managed to scrape into the play-offs.

Hopefully Kerr can give us enough dig in midfield. He's not noted as an out and out ball winner but he's a classy left sided player who nonetheless won't shy away from a tackle. Reckon he'll be a regular starter and I can't see any further centre mids joining us now.

Just a tad concerned we'll be a bit too lightweight thru midfield. The upside being we should be good on the ball and creative enough.

Feel the defensive quality of whoever we play as centrebacks will be crucial. 

22 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Me too. Does anyone know his fitness status following his injury? A quick trawl on the internet finds no updates. 

Think he was going under the surgeon's scalpel a short time ago. He as so very good  - a class act in the championship

Looks a good young player. Quick on the ball and brings height to the squad. 

Ideally it would've been better if Lewis had been left sided but they're thin on the ground at centreback.  Feel we now have to address left back cover as a priority. Funds permitting of course.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

The squad is coming together now. Could probably still do with another defender to cover lwb, a hard tackling midfielder and a Tiffoney replacement.

Agree re left back (left wingback) and a speedy wide  attacker. I wouldn't think the midfield muscle spot will be addressed as we've already seven (including Robinson?) central midfielders. Not ideal admittedly.