Kelty Tonight....

Jimmy McD

Half-time substitutes for Partick Thistle: Sneddon, Graham, and Lawless come off. David Mitchell, Anton Dowds, and Trialist no. 7 are on.

Ten minutes later,

Substitutions: Williams, Bannigan, and Trialist no. 6 off. Stanway, Lyon, and Trialist no. 2 on.

Just back. Was a decent game played at a good pace. Obviously ended up a tad scrappy with so many trialists aboard. Thought Kerr looked fine on the ball. The No 6 looked a good footballer in midfield but he didn't get in many tackles, not that he shirked them. The No 7 who scored is fast on his feet and looked useful. Played in a sort of "Lawless" position.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just back. Was a decent game played at a good pace. Obviously ended up a tad scrappy with so many trialists aboard. Thought Kerr looked fine on the ball. The No 6 looked a good footballer in midfield but he didn't get in many tackles, not that he shirked them. The No 7 who scored is fast on his feet and looked useful. Played in a sort of "Lawless" position.  

Just to add a few more observations:

• Wasiri Williams was strong, fast, communicative and skilful at the back.
  • Young full back Ji Stevenson put in a powerful and committed performance. Ben Stanway dug in well in the second half.
  • James Lyons was impressive in midfield and played a big part in our second goal. Really hope to see more of him this season.
  • Anton Dowds and second half trialist striker made little impression, and the game passed them by.
  • Stevie Lawless and Aidan Fitzpatrick back up to their standards from last season and seemed to be linking well with Scott Robinson.
  • Goalkeepers were given one half each, but neither had much opportunity to make any saves.
  • Like 2

No McMillan, Muirhead or Milne? What's the story?

Also , according to the line-up shown on the PTFC site, Williams wore No. 2 and not No. 4, which he was said to wear, according to the official announcement at the time of signing. Can somebody clarify since I am still waiting for highlights to appear on Jagzone?

27 minutes ago, QXBoy said:

No McMillan, Muirhead or Milne? What's the story?

Also , according to the line-up shown on the PTFC site, Williams wore No. 2 and not No. 4, which he was said to wear, according to the official announcement at the time of signing. Can somebody clarify since I am still waiting for highlights to appear on Jagzone?

Cannot shed any light on the 3 Ms. However, it is not at all unusual in a pre-season friendly for some squad members to be involved and not others. I believe that there are a couple of closed door friendlies scheduled and no doubt the 3 Ms will play their part in these. Doolan seemed keen to see how younger members of the squad would perform, and for example I would now be much more confident if Milne or McMillan was injured mid-game and Ji Stevenson was brought on. We know all about Muirhead, so it seems appropriate to test out our new signing (Williams) and some potential new signings (trialists) in central defence.

I am rubbish at remembering numbers (which is LIB reported on players by numbers and I reported by name!). However, I am sure that if Williams had been wearing Number 2 I would have noticed that. My memory is that he was wearing a traditional expected centre half number-either 4 or 5.

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Just to add a few more observations:

• Wasiri Williams was strong, fast, communicative and skilful at the back.
  • Young full back Ji Stevenson put in a powerful and committed performance. Ben Stanway dug in well in the second half.
  • James Lyons was impressive in midfield and played a big part in our second goal. Really hope to see more of him this season.
  • Anton Dowds and second half trialist striker made little impression, and the game passed them by.
  • Stevie Lawless and Aidan Fitzpatrick back up to their standards from last season and seemed to be linking well with Scott Robinson.
  • Goalkeepers were given one half each, but neither had much opportunity to make any saves.

I'm assuming the striker was an out and out youngster. Ideally I'd like to see him play alongside Graham to see what he's 'like. Thought our young midfield did well later on considering a man down (played two strikers). At the moment my worry about the whole midfield tho' is the lack of a hard tackling ball winner. We need to replace Docherty, preferably with better ball winning skills than Doc. We didn't need the muscle for a benign game like last night and as an aside nearly all Banzo's passes in the first half were forward (believe me :)).

I still think Sneddon is too slow recycling the ball but to his credit the first goal started with a sharpish throw out from Jamie.

eta I read somewhere that McMillan, Muirhead & Milne all had minor knocks and weren't risked.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'm assuming the striker was an out and out youngster. Ideally I'd like to see him play alongside Graham to see what he's 'like. Thought our young midfield did well later on considering a man down (played two strikers). At the moment my worry about the whole midfield tho' is the lack of a hard tackling ball winner. We need to replace Docherty, preferably with better ball winning skills than Doc. We didn't need the muscle for a benign game like last night and as an aside nearly all Banzo's passes in the first half were forward (believe me :)).

I still think Sneddon is too slow recycling the ball but to his credit the first goal started with a sharpish throw out from Jamie.

eta I read somewhere that McMillan, Muirhead & Milne all had minor knocks and weren't risked.

Agree with all that especially with the young midfield finding a way to play effectively together when not much was happening ahead of them. As is inevitable in a pre-season friendly our quality dropped in the middle section of the second half, but I thought that the midfield really lifted it towards the end. 

I saw a harder edge to Ben Stanway, perhaps as a result of his loan spell. Could he develop into that ball-winning midfielder (but can still play a bit) that we need?

I really like James Lyon, but I am not sure if he can play at the same time as Banzo. Lyon has very similar ball recycling and keep the game moving skills. Possibly slightly less safe than Banzo in ball retention, but much more likely to make a penetrating run or play a killer pass, as indeed he did for the second goal last night. 

"I still think Sneddon is too slow recycling the ball but to his credit the first goal started with a sharpish throw out from Jamie."

I hope that's not Kenny Arthur's influence. He was the slowest I can ever remember seeing, and it's not as if he did anything brilliant with the ball when he did eventually hoof it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Number 6 CV on transfermarkt wouldn’t get him a trial with Dukla Pumpherston