The Spartans Viaplay Cup Tie - 29th July

Fawlty Towers

All credit to Aaron Muirhead for his attitude towards that game.

8 hours ago, laukat said:

We were pretty poor yesterday. We played like the Alan Archibald 2018 team. Slow sideways, retaining possession at all costs but for little value, no pace and no-one willing to take a risk. We had load of the ball yesterday but in the first half didn't put a single shot on target.

Part of me wonders if we fear losing possession because we don't have a midfield able to regain possession quickly. 

Bannigan is really starting to annoy me. He can't tackle and can't play a forward pass. His trademark is to runs quickly forward with the ball at his feet, delays picking a quick risky pass in favour of a safe sideways pass to retain possession.

Williamson has potential but only if he figures out that his best position is at the CDM not as an 8 or a 10. Lyon was very hesitant in possession in the first half and he still looks like he needs to hit the gym and muscle up a bit otherwise he will just be too easily pushed off the ball. Alston was barely in the game but I'm not sure he's what we need.

At the back I thought Williams and Muirhead were decent. Milne still has a bit of rustiness but is getting there. MacKenzie is not a fullback and if we expect him to cover injuries in the league in that position we may well have a problem.

Right now we look a poor team and unless we get McMillan back, Robinson fit and sort out our midfield we will struggle for top 4. We desperately lack a dominant voice/leader in the centre of midfield.

Out of likes, but can only agree. All credit to Aaron Muirhead for his comments after the game. Maybe his is the voice we need, but at the back rather than in midfield.

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Don't think I've ever seen us beat the tarts in a cup tie, but plenty of memories of them knocking us out.

The outcome of this tie is unfortunately predictable.

It is predictable that Lawrence Shankland will score against us as always. However, I will travel with my usual naive optimism, buoyed up by memories of Gary Fraser's strike as well, as a few good competitive draws in more recent games, in particular Kris Doolan snatching a late equaliser on the (long) day on which Hearts opened their new stand.

25 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

It's for the good of Scottish football! Isn't it?

"for the good of Scottish football"

ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

4 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

"for the good of Scottish football"

ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

How very dare you. You questioning the sporting integrity of Scottish football authorities? Tut! Tut!