Hearts Viaplay Cup - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

50 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Correct me if am wrong (prob am) but has Doolan managed a game when we have been leading at 70mins and went on to lose let alone consistently?

Singings the jury is out as not seen enough of em.  If anything imo it’s the pre Dools signings who have been a massive let down of late ie Banzo, Graham etc

The play off final for starters  ? 

He gave Banzo a new Contract 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Sandy 

we are a Football Club - not a YTS Scheme - its not up to the Club to give the luxury of someone “ learning” as a Manager or “ New Squad Gelling” 

There are serious questions on not being able to hold onto a win - and being completely out of our depth on every level against Hearts 

We ran Rangers Close in the Cup Tie - McCall was sacked - and yes the previous couple of results has been poor 

Therefore its a results driven business and Managers are judged on them 

My honest opinion is that emotion plays too big a part on decisions from the Club when it involves “ legends” 

Archie - Gerry B - Bannigan - Dools -other Clubs don't act like this 

Dools has the next few games to start getting wins 

I would start with fitness and maybe just maybe start having a plan for when we are 2-0 up ? 

Even the re-signing of Sneddon fits this criteria.  What championship team can afford 3 goalkeepers.

Mitchell and Sneddon are similar in that both can produce decent saves but also have bombscare moments. 
But given Mitchell had a year left on his contract then obviously he was still here- so why waste money on resigning Sneddon- he’s been here 6 years and can anyone really say he has hugely improved? 

Seems to be yet another cuddly toy decision because someone high up think he is another legend due to length of service etc

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

and that was only one under his tenure we blew lead after being ahead on 70mins under Doolan no?  Not a consistent theme.

Re Banzo whilst I agree a mistake so it was under previous managers who did exact same thing.

I never had high hopes of winning today. I had hoped we would have used today to try something different that might be useful in the league and at 2-0 down at halftime surely that was the time to do something different but instead we went with the same formation and selection.

One of McCall's major failings was he would always play 4-3-3 no matter who was fit. Doolan showed some flexibility in formation last season by moving to 4-2-3-1 and then 4-4-2 but now seems to be falling into the same trap by constantly playing a 4-2-3-1 largely to shoe horn Bannigan into the team.

We only really clicked last season when we played 4-4-2. Fitzpatrick struggled badly in a 4-2-3-1 and we looked pretty slow to move the ball. It was noticeable last season that without Bannigan and with a quicker player alongside Graham we moved the ball quicker and defences struggled with the variation we had in attack. In defence it allowed us to play 2 banks of 4 in a low block and protect Brownlie and Muirhead's lack of pace. Williams is no worse than Brownlie and has potential to be a lot better but he's getting exposed in the current system.

I would like to see how we fare with the following:

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-Williams-Milne

Lawless-Williamson-McInroy-McDonald (or MacKenzie)

Graham-Fitzpatrick

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Even the re-signing of Sneddon fits this criteria.  What championship team can afford 3 goalkeepers

Raith Rovers- Dabrowski, Thomson & McNeil

Ayr- Albison, Ecrepont & Mutch

Dundee Utd- Walton, Newman & Adams

Dunfermline-Sharp, Mehmet & Little

Quuens Pk- Ferrie, McKenna & Kane

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Raith Rovers- Dabrowski, Thomson & McNeil

Ayr- Albison, Ecrepont & Mutch

Dundee Utd- Walton, Newman & Adams

Dunfermline-Sharp, Mehmet & Little

Quuens Pk- Ferrie, McKenna & Kane

Fair enough- we should have bucked the trend then especially given that I doubt Sneddon is particularly cheap given he has been here 6 years already 

54 minutes ago, elevenone said:

and that was only one under his tenure we blew lead after being ahead on 70mins under Doolan no?  Not a consistent theme.

Re Banzo whilst I agree a mistake so it was under previous managers who did exact same thing.

1-0 up against Airdrie - lost two goals in last 20 minutes 2-0 up against Raith Rovers - lost two goals in last 20 minutes 

ref Banzo - it was clear last Season he had very little to offer - a two year deal ? 

If he was not already a long term player we would not have signed him 

56 minutes ago, laukat said:

I never had high hopes of winning today. I had hoped we would have used today to try something different that might be useful in the league and at 2-0 down at halftime surely that was the time to do something different but instead we went with the same formation and selection.

One of McCall's major failings was he would always play 4-3-3 no matter who was fit. Doolan showed some flexibility in formation last season by moving to 4-2-3-1 and then 4-4-2 but now seems to be falling into the same trap by constantly playing a 4-2-3-1 largely to shoe horn Bannigan into the team.

We only really clicked last season when we played 4-4-2. Fitzpatrick struggled badly in a 4-2-3-1 and we looked pretty slow to move the ball. It was noticeable last season that without Bannigan and with a quicker player alongside Graham we moved the ball quicker and defences struggled with the variation we had in attack. In defence it allowed us to play 2 banks of 4 in a low block and protect Brownlie and Muirhead's lack of pace. Williams is no worse than Brownlie and has potential to be a lot better but he's getting exposed in the current system.

I would like to see how we fare with the following:

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-Williams-Milne

Lawless-Williamson-McInroy-McDonald (or MacKenzie)

Graham-Fitzpatrick

The best we played last season was the playoff games without Bannigan, balance of the team much better without him

Stanway looked promising in the early league cup. Also far to many loan signings- never a good thing 

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Need to calm down a bit JJ , I know it was your friend that got sacked , unfortunately if IM had been sacked earlier after losing 6 games on the trot including Cove and Hamilton at home I believe we would have got automatic promotion.

We lost 4 players from last season, definitely 2 who wanted to play Premier League and got their moves ( Tiff and Turner ) the other 2 players Doc and Kevin Holt got offered double their Wages to play at the same level , the big mistake was not giving either of these 2 players some sort of deal .

IMO I would given Ross Docherty the gig ,he controlled things for us , Dools should have sacrificed a player to give Doc the wages he was after ( Do we need Alston ?)

Doolan’s record is good , only 3 or 4 losses in 25/26 games 

I hope supporters realise this season was always going to transitional , we were never going to replace the players who left with like for like due to budget cuts because of the overspend from the previous Board and Management.

We’re only 2 League games into the season and possibly we should all calm down a bit .

Doolan has made mistakes already but I’m sure he’ll learn quickly.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Need to calm down a bit JJ , I know it was your friend that got sacked , unfortunately if IM had been sacked earlier after losing 6 games on the trot including Cove and Hamilton at home I believe we would have got automatic promotion.

We lost 4 players from last season, definitely 2 who wanted to play Premier League and got their moves ( Tiff and Turner ) the other 2 players Doc and Kevin Holt got offered double their Wages to play at the same level , the big mistake was not giving either of these 2 players some sort of deal .

IMO I would given Ross Docherty the gig ,he controlled things for us , Dools should have sacrificed a player to give Doc the wages he was after ( Do we need Alston ?)

I hope supporters realise this season was always going to transitional , we were never going to replace the players who left with like for like due to budget cuts because of the overspend from the previous Board and Management.

We’re only 2 League games into the season and possibly we should all calm down a bit .

Fair analysis all told.

4 hours ago, avie-man said:

There you have it, one of the movers and shakers in TJF happy to accept shite. Sounds about right with the fans of this club.

Chances of us ever doing what Killie did there. Zero. 

Did you expect us to win today ?

I didn’t but did expect us to play a lot better than we did .

To put the gulf into perspective, if Lawrence Shankland was sold it would probably buy our whole Club 

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

hope supporters realise this season was always going to transitional , we were never going to replace the players who left with like for like due to budget cuts because of the overspend from the previous Board and Management.

Eh why was it always going to be transitional ? Like other teams are not going through transitions ? …. so we can’t get promoted so why bother 

22 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That is the sort of thing that is repeated endlessly  and means nothing … it’s amazing how many people don’t learn from mistakes all the time …..

can you give any actual evidence that he is is learning from errors because it’s not obvious to me like todays game for example ….

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Did you expect us to win today ?

I didn’t but did expect us to play a lot better than we did .

To put the gulf into perspective, if Lawrence Shankland was sold it would probably buy our whole Club 

That’s true but on that basis how did Kilmarnock revenue £4m beat Celtic revenue £76m …… that’s s bigger gulf than between us and Hearts 

27 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Wow. Had to read a lot of flatulent nonsense before a sensible analysis of the reality of things. It's August. 2 league games in. Of course the team is in transition and the time to make sensible judgements is as usual....when we have played the first quarter of the season. 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

That’s true but on that basis how did Kilmarnock revenue £4m beat Celtic revenue £76m …… that’s s bigger gulf than between us and Hearts 

What is the financial gulf between us and Hearts for comparison purposes? Not that it really matters because I'd imagine killie only beat Celtic once every 50 games or so.....