Thistle vs Morton

Lenziejag

No doubt lots to criticise but a cracking old fashioned game with lots of atmosphere. With a few key players missing for various reasons, the 11 left at the end did dig it out. Commendation to Aero for telescopic leg reaching all sorts of crosses. 

Some sublime skills from Williams. However the highlight has to be Fitzpatrick’s rabona.

When Graham was sent off I was concerned that there might be a rule requiring us to withdraw one of the players on the pitch!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Amazing 3 points …. Very poor performance  and a lucky win 

as good as we were last we were poor today with zero pressing. And closing down

the only thing worse than us was the referee

We weren’t great, but it wasn’t a lucky win. We were still by far the better team. I genuinely cannot think of anything Sneddon had to do other than the penalty. By contrast we should have scored more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

yeh seems a odd one unless he got injured?  

Milne off early, McInroy at ht and Graham subbed at 1-1, and none of them ostensibly due to injury?

Perhaps there's some kind of bug going round?

Anyway, objective achieved after a fashion. Two smashing finishes for the goals, but we didn't really trouble McDonald much beyond those efforts.

Well done to the players and the management team for digging out the win.

Happy Saturday evening to all Jags fans!!

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

In any case, failure to beat the bottom teams was a huge issue for us last season. Today we’ve done that, going unbeaten in 4 in the process. You could just enjoy it you know 

Why do you assume I’m not enjoying it ?

I just hope the manager is evaluating a poor performance as we won’t beat many other teams playing like that 

A welcome 3 points but we were barely better than a grim Morton side...they were the poorest team I saw last season but remarkably we only finished above them on goal difference...this season they look doomed while we are clear in third without being particularly good.

Only Lawless & Fitzpatrick create chances...Bannigan & Stanway did all right but don't go past players or make many incisive passes...McInroy scored a good goal and had another well-struck shot but doesn't get involved enough...it was a clever finish from Alston but he failed to score from two other chances and otherwise did little.

I didn't get a clear view of the apparent handball immediately before the penalty or the rumpus at the substitution and while the ref was a real source of frustration throughout Graham was really stupid to get red-carded.

I don't agree that we were dreadful. 

We had a couple of injuries requiring a reshuffle and some players out of position. Morton came looking for a scrap and for too long we got involved. The game was constantly being stopped by the ref and our players were getting caught up in the atmosphere. It was only when we got the ball down and started to pass round Morton did we get our rewards. 

Morton deserved nothing and got nothing, a dreadful team. 

We can play much better and will again but we did enough to win that. I've been critical of Fitzpatrick but he was excellent today, can't be easy to constantly get hacked to bits running at full speed. 

I thought Wasiri was fine on the left and McMillan did well considering how long he's been out.

I thought the red for Graham was a bit OTT, yes he gestured to the fans but was it really any worse than what he was getting from the stands? A booking would have sufficed. His behaviour after that though wasn't acceptable. He should have headed down the tunnel instead of offering fans to come down. He then proceeded to head down the stairs (I'm assuming to try and get up to the stand and was stopped by Mitchell who had run back from the bench).

While coming back out to celebrate in front of the Morton fans is great sh*thousery and very funny, he might get in some bother for that. From what I saw of Adeloye when he came on, we'll definitely miss Graham when suspended.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Boy did we make hard work of that , a goal up in 2 minutes and then we sit back and do nothing for the next 20...We play better away from Firhill these days, I don't get it.. Take the hard earned 3 points and move on..

We appeared to sit back deliberately, presumably to play for the second balls. Perhaps it's just as well as yon ref was going yellow card crazy.

I'd sum up today's game as one where the opposition dragged us down to their level. These things happen to the best of teams. Fortunately we still had enough in the tank to grab a winner. Fitzpatrick the obvious star man but Stanway, Bannigan & Muirhead all did the "behind the scenes" stuff well. And Wasiri's stock continues to rise. Handled having to change flanks in his stride.

• Like 1

Just now, fenski said:

Wasn't there today but pleased to read positive comments about Wasiri. I've said it before, but he looks like a player who needs confidence to play his best, and we need more competition at the back.

He was very good, particularly for adapting to play on the left when Milne went off in the first half. Don’t think he did anything wrong at all- very solid. Could be an excellent utility player for us, being able to fill in anywhere in the back four. Possibly could even force his way as first choice centre back, who knows?

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Stating the obvious but football games are always a combination of performance and result. Sometimes both are good, other times they are both bad and sometimes one can be good with the other being bad. The most important of the two is always result and today it was good.

Agree. I have already said i wasn't at the game today so cannot comment on our performance. Morton are bottom of the league, but imo it was never going to be an easy game. Although they have lost their last 2 league games i felt they were unlucky against Dunfermline last week not to get at least a draw. They are in a battle at the bottom of the league and are in danger of being cut adrift. Teams in that position never make games easy.

We are now 5 points ahead of Airdrie and 8 points ahead of Dunfermline and Ayr, although Dunfermline have 2 games in hand. So our next home league game against Airdrie is another big game. Win that and we are consolidating our top 4 place.

Brian Graham is the sort of player that you either love or loathe. If he is playing for your team, you love him but if not, you loathe him. I don't know how long his suspension will be but i just hope it is not a costly one for us.