Dunfermline Away 16.12.23

elevenone

Another away day in Fife against a top 4 rival and a chance to put a bit of daylight between us and ‘em in 4th.  Dunfermline with a couple of decent league wins on the bounce.  

I think he will be tempted to bring Bannigan back in after Friday’s fiasco and personally would like to see Mitchell given a chance between the sticks.  A few of the fringe players who should been trying to knock on the door Mackenzie, Stevenson, Diack, Lyon and Williamson not exactly covering themselves in glory in yesterdays reserve cup 10-0 thrashing to Hamilton so can’t see too many changes from Friday.  Hate being a pessimist but would take a draw here. 

Going with a bit of logic here, we should get a result. Raith are clearly a better side than the Pars and we'll be playing on a fair sized grass pitch this time. Therefore we should improve on a one goal defeat. Our home results against Raith & Pars back that up. So a Jags win or at worst, a draw. Unfortunately using logic to predict Thistle results is as pointless as what I hope the Pars will come away with.

If we get ahead we'll have to win those second balls higher up the pitch, and hold onto a bit of possession . Can't just back off waiting for loose balls to aimlessly punt back to the other lot.

Thinking if there's a change in goals it will be as much to do with poor recycling as individual error. Jamie did have a couple of good saves at Starks to compensate for any goals he was responsible for, and besides I wouldn't normally want to see our goalie dropped after one poor game. Factor in his regular poor use of the ball and I feel a change in goal is warranted. For sheer shot stopping Sneddon may be slightly ahead of Mitchell but the latter recycles the ball a fair bit better and quicker.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Must be one of the worst results in the Reserves' history....... or do those calamities get covered up?

That's one maybe for Thistle Archive. 

High scoring one way traffic results in the Reserves/U20s are not that uncommon, tho' I've not been at one in double figures. Over recent years I've witnessed a good few mismatches both for an against. Teams seem to be at their best when they're made up primarily of youngsters bolstered by no more than two or three genuine squad players. The former try like hell and the latter provide that wee bit of experience but don't give anything like 100%. Certainly there's usually two agendas going on. Play to win and play for fitness reasons.

I'm just speculating but in this instance with so many squad players there was a making up the numbers/keep my fitness level/don't for ****s sake get injured attitude prevalent. So you can end up with one team taking the game completely serious whilst the other plays partly under a different priority/attitude. Just giving a guess what happened here. Certainly not justifying it.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Used to be a reasonable alternative to go along to a reserve match on a semi-regular basis to see players regaining fitness, or regaining form, or younger players waiting their turn to possibly break into the first team.

I particularly remember the reserve teams that always seemed to start: "Thomson, Holmes and Whittaker" which would nowadays be a pretty good keeper and full-back combination in any Premier League team I might suggest. 

Of course, nowadays there are different leagues, age ranges, financial considerations etc, and the concept of a reserve team has, imo, become a bit blurred and, as a result, the results are possibly less relevant.

A great many supporters from - dare I say it - my era would positively delight at the prospect of going along to see the likes of the players mentioned above and others - especially Alf Stamp - who made the pittance of the gate money paid on admission absolutely irrelevant.

Other than the Reserve Cup win(s) I particularly remember a "Combination League"? match against Glasgow University when we were in the second division.  The "away" support easily outnumbered the home support! - although the result was never truly in doubt. As a 9 year old I was particularly disappointed that my late father chose to support his "alma mater" rather than his team of choice but he did assure me it was for that match only!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's one maybe for Thistle Archive. 

High scoring one way traffic results in the Reserves/U20s are not that uncommon, tho' I've not been at one in double figures. Over recent years I've witnessed a good few mismatches both for an against. Teams seem to be at their best when they're made up primarily of youngsters bolstered by no more than two or three genuine squad players. The former try like hell and the latter provide that wee bit of experience but don't give anything like 100%. Certainly there's usually two agendas going on. Play to win and play for fitness reasons.

I'm just speculating but in this instance with so many squad players there was a making up the numbers/keep my fitness level/don't for ****s sake get injured attitude prevalent. So you can end up with one team taking the game completely serious whilst the other plays partly under a different priority/attitude. Just giving a guess what happened here. Certainly not justifying it.

Highest score I have ever seen came at Springburn Park - reserve league fixture Partick Thistle 10 Stranraer 4!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Other than the Reserve Cup win(s) I particularly remember a "Combination League"? match against Glasgow University when we were in the second division.  The "away" support easily outnumbered the home support! - although the result was never truly in doubt. As a 9 year old I was particularly disappointed that my late father chose to support his "alma mater" rather than his team of choice but he did assure me it was for that match only!

JeanieD, that would have been the Combined Reserve League. In addition to Glasgow University, other participants included Glasgow Corporation Transport and Jordanhill College. Thistle won both the Autumn and Spring versions of the tournament in 1970-71!!!

From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Reserve_Football_League#:~:text=The Combined Reserve Football League,the Scottish Reserve Football League.): The Combined Reserve Football League was formed in 1958 as a reserve football league for the Scottish Football League Second Division sides that were excluded from the Scottish Reserve Football League.

3 hours ago, michael m said:

Highest score I have ever seen came at Springburn Park - reserve league fixture Partick Thistle 10 Stranraer 4!

I was at that game but missed kickoff. i got told the score when I got there  and thought we won 9-4, so I guess I missed a goal somewhere in the count 😆

19 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

JeanieD, that would have been the Combined Reserve League. In addition to Glasgow University, other participants included Glasgow Corporation Transport and Jordanhill College. Thistle won both the Autumn and Spring versions of the tournament in 1970-71!!!

From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Reserve_Football_League#:~:text=The Combined Reserve Football League,the Scottish Reserve Football League.😞The Combined Reserve Football League was formed in 1958 as a reserve football league for the Scottish Football League Second Division sides that were excluded from the Scottish Reserve Football League.

I believe the Glasgow University game I must have seen was the 2-0 game in Feb 1971 (the first team were drawing 1-1 at Berwick) it certainly wasn’t one sided as far as the score line was concerned but it was one sided as far as the run of play went as far as I can recall with my fading memory.

Edited by JeanieD
1971 NOT 1972 (fat fingers/wee keyboard)

50 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

I believe the Glasgow University game I must have seen was the 2-0 game in Feb 1972, it certainly wasn’t one sided as far as the score line was concerned but it was one sided as far as the run of play went as far as I can recall with my fading memory.

D you remember where that game was played? Anniesland?

15 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

D you remember where that game was played? Anniesland?

It was at Firhill and I’ve edited it to correct the year! It was 1971 not 1972 (can’t type)

In hindsight I think it must have been the  4-1 game on March 27 that I was at as I do seem to remember the students scoring and the scorer taking the applause from his fellow students in a rather self effacing - not to say - embarrassed manner!

Edited by JeanieD
Memory loss