January Transfer Window

JAG1970

1 hour ago, robphil said:

Denis played football in a cloud of unconscious genius - he is also one of the nicest men ever to lace up a pair of boots...

Wonderful turn of phrase! And I agree with the last part of what you say as well. Denis always comes across as someone who is very grateful for so many things.

35 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

How sad that a thread dedicated to the current transfer window has more chat about players from the 70s than ones currently playing.

Someone needs to start a rumour to get us excited.

Mikael Mandron? Seems to have been rumoured at every window over the past 10 years. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

How sad that a thread dedicated to the current transfer window has more chat about players from the 70s than ones currently playing.

Someone needs to start a rumour to get us excited.

Lyle Taylor?

27 minutes ago, allyo said:

Lyle Taylor?

As much as I liked Lyle Taylor I think he is now at Cambridge Utd. So even if he was willing to come back to The Jags I doubt we could afford him.

Anyway I think we are OK for Strikers given Doolan won't play two up front.

Ji Stevenson goes on loan to Cunnock juniors for remainder of season.

Have read on P&B that that clubs outside the Premier league can sign players until end of February. Imo we should be giving our own players like Lyon, MacKenzie or Diack game time instead of bringing other teams young players in on loan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Have read on P&B that that clubs outside the Premier league can sign players until end of February. Imo we should be giving our own players like Lyon, MacKenzie or Diack game time instead of bringing other teams young players in on loan.

So far it’s been a calm and measured approach by Doolan this window. No diving in and signing the usual unknown from down south or an underwhelming loan. So hopefully that does give the names above an opportunity for the remainder of the season. I’m mystified why Lyon isn’t getting a chance though. 

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

So far it’s been a calm and measured approach by Doolan this window. No diving in and signing the usual unknown from down south or an underwhelming loan. So hopefully that does give the names above an opportunity for the remainder of the season. I’m mystified why Lyon isn’t getting a chance though

I think it could be down to us not having the muscle elsewhere in midfield. Doolan has had to rely on other midfielders showing a bit of dig. James for instance doesn't have the tacking ability of Stanway and others. McBeth's signing may have solved the defensive side of things tho' he's yet to start. Of course that means if Luke does start there'll be one less midfield slot available. 

Think like many James will have to go out on loan to get anything near regular football.

19 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think it could be down to us not having the muscle elsewhere in midfield. Doolan has had to rely on other midfielders showing a bit of dig. James for instance doesn't have the tacking ability of Stanway and others. McBeth's signing may have solved the defensive side of things tho' he's yet to start. Of course that means if Luke does start there'll be one less midfield slot available. 

Think like many James will have to go out on loan to get anything near regular football.

Hopefully the likes of Stanway and McBeth can add that bite because Lyon  - in his limited appearances - seems to have that rare ability of seeing a pass no one else can plus an eye for goal. 
Charnley had it in spades (not saying Lyon is his equal of course), but I guess we did have our fair share of tough tackling players that enabled Chic that freedom. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, elevenone said:

not surprised but do think he would have been better retained in squad for rest of season.  gl at east fife james.

Agreed. I would be playing James, or at least bringing him on, ahead of some of our more experienced advanced midfielders. He can spot (and play) a pass and is an excellent finisher. I hope that he gets plenty of game time, preferably starting, for East Fife and that will give him the experience and confidence required to really challenge for a regular place at Firhill.

• Like 1