Ross County in the Cup

15 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Spoiled the result with bullies taking the Ross County drum

https://twitter.com/theukcasualsway/status/1748733719622332513?t=ml6-n40re7MwUIgHkLy6HA&s=19

I mind Rangers neds stealing our flags then burning them, we should not be sinking to that level.  Hopefully they get drum back as listening to it is gonna be more entertaining than watching them under Adams this season.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

No thanks. Let's have a bit of ambition. Decent winnable tie and then get the financial rewards LATER in the cup. 

I'm  with the above. Lose in the 5th round and the exit award is £47,250, excluding tv cash. 

Get to the 6th round, and the exit fee more than doubles to £102,000. 

That sort of cash should  make even JJ happy.   😇

2 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I'm  with the above. Lose in the 5th round and the exit award is £47,250, excluding tv cash. 

Did you really have to poke the bear?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Have we ever had a striker who has scored as many goals as  Graham  in the 6 yard  ox?

I don't have figures but my impression is that the majority of his goals are scored from within the 6 yard box.

I can't recall anyone !

His current manager scored a few from that range. 😉 

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I timed it at 3 seconds to eat and swallow a Pringle, so I reckon 24 or 25 could be consumed in the highlights

I like to savour the taste before eating and swallowing so longer than 3 seconds for me. :D

16 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Spoiled the result with bullies taking the Ross County drum

https://twitter.com/theukcasualsway/status/1748733719622332513?t=ml6-n40re7MwUIgHkLy6HA&s=19

The pyrotechnics at the start of the game will not have helped our cause either. Not sure what sort of "comprehension bypass" I am suffering from, but I cannot understand why anyone would bring one (or more) of such things into a football match.

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Thanks for the info, but where can it be found? I tried the SFA site earlier but couldn't find it!

15 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

The pyrotechnics at the start of the game will not have helped our cause either. Not sure what sort of "comprehension bypass" I am suffering from, but I cannot understand why anyone would bring one (or more) of such things into a football match.

Agree. It is good to see younger supporters at Thistle games and they give the team great backing, but this sort of behaviour is not wanted at Thistle games.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:20 AM, jagfox said:

We rarely beat teams above us in the cup, indeed cups going back to the 80s when we were largely a second tier team.

I still fondly remember the victory away at Love Street when we beat St Mirren 3 - 1. Apart from that, were Dundee a Premier league team when we beat them, to get to the cup semi-final?

I'd be surprised if we have beaten  a team higher up the leagues more than a handful of times since we became a team who spent as much time out of the top flight as in it.

However, on the face of it this should be a team we are looking to beat. The perennial question is how we do that? Doolan will have a gameplan and hopefully that works better than the our visit to Hearts in the summer. 

If BBG is playing, he's fine with hold up play and flick ons but if left isolated doesn't have the pace to threaten the opposition defence. As in other games, this allows the opposition to commit another player forward. So another perennial problem, which Dools suffered from too, is finding a player or system to support him.

The players who experienced that collapse last June, will be looking to win and will need no motivation. Hopefully that spirit can see us through to the next round.

It won't make up for THAT day in Dingwall but may exorcise some ghosts for players and fans alike.

Also any funds from another game will not be budgeted for so will be useful on the financial side.

TL:DR

Don't know if I could face ANOTHER penalty shootout up there so I'll go for a hard fought 2 - 1 win for the Jags over the Stags.

OLAS For we made a promise...

Statistically, you are correct Jagfox. Since joining the SFL in 1893/94 Thistle have beaten teams in a (then) higher division just 7 times.

·        1899/00 St Bernard’s (Div 1). Thistle in Div 2.

·        1982/83 Kilmarnock, eventually! (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        1988/89 St Mirren after a replay (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        1999/00 Livingston (Div 1). Thistle in 2nd Division.

·        2000/01 Dundee after a replay (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        2005/06 Inverness CT after a replay, ET and penalties (Prem Div). Thistle in 2nd Division.

·        2023/24 Ross County (premiership). Thistle in Championship.

Remember of course that between 1902/03 and 1969/70 Thistle spent 61 consecutive seasons in the top flight so beating a team in a higher league was impossible. Keep a look out for more on this in the Stats Watch in The Thistle Archive later today.

• Thanks 1