Raith rovers game bring friend for £10

12 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

It's absolutely abominable. Every single time, the opposition has all the time in the world to get their defence ready to block the inevitable over- or under-hit final pass forward after our series of totally pointless sideways or backward passes. And don't mention the frequent, aimless punts.....!

Teams long ago sussed out Lawless: just get two on him so that he can't cut inside, and he doesn't have the pace to outrun the younger guys on the outside any more. Well, he managed it once near the very end, and we almost scored from that. Both Lawless and Fitzpatrick contribute to the negative play by actually running backwards and waiting motionless on the wing to receive a mostly sideways past. Force them to do that and any threat we pose is largely nullified, because the defenders can prepare.

I'm a tactical numpty, but if even I can see that, then other teams do.

Exactly this, switch it up if it’s not working. Every team that watches us know what lawless is gonna do..  and they doubled up on Fitz, both can play either side. I feel like an idiot but ffs. Lawless actually had more joy down that side .. a feel like an idiot repeating myself but get your best player where they are weaker. They then have to change the way they are playing. 

• Like 1

Just when we were starting to dominate the game and I was thinking that Raith were a very ordinary side, we conceded a needless free kick followed by yet another poorly defended goal. At the game, I thought Mitchell should have claimed the cross but having now seen the tv clip, Neilson was more culpable - he is a talented footballer but too soft as a defender.

Raith's only other goal threats were from Mitchell misjudgements...worryingly he's probably still our best keeper. Raith had worked on a plan to stifle Lawless/McMillan and Fitzpatrick/Milne and the dreadful  playing surface does not help the cause. We had a few close things but didn't really ever open up their defence - Bannigan at least tried to make sensible passes in his few minutes.

We should have got a draw but we're now 17 points being a Raith side who haven't looked better than us on their two visits to Firhill....but we're a soft touch.

It was a dull game with a surprisingly low and jaded crowd...and I picked up a parking ticket to round off a great night.

Seen this film so often. On top for the first 30 but fail to capitalise. Concede a cheap goal. Feel sorry for ourselves and fall out the game for the next 30. Then huff and puff side ways with no real idea how to break down the opposition because they know how we play. Yes, we went close at the end but I don’t think their keeper had a save to make in the second half.

Saturday is massive. Defeat, and assuming Airdrie beat Arbroath, then we’re hanging on by our fingernails to avoid 5th. We really need to find a win somehow or we’re banking everything on OReilly being the answer to our defensive woes by the time we play ICT.

But all is well:

Thistle manager Kris Doolan said: 

"We know we were the better side. It's a sore one, but you don't have time to dwell on things. We have to be resilient and come back stronger."

4 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Just when we were starting to dominate the game and I was thinking that Raith were a very ordinary side, we conceded a needless free kick followed by yet another poorly defended goal. At the game, I thought Mitchell should have claimed the cross but having now seen the tv clip, Neilson was more culpable - he is a talented footballer but too soft as a defender.

Raith's only other goal threats were from Mitchell misjudgements...worryingly he's probably still our best keeper. Raith had worked on a plan to stifle Lawless/McMillan and Fitzpatrick/Milne and the dreadful  playing surface does not help the cause. We had a few close things but didn't really ever open up their defence - Bannigan at least tried to make sensible passes in his few minutes.

We should have got a draw but we're now 17 points being a Raith side who haven't looked better than us on their two visits to Firhill....but we're a soft touch.

It was a dull game with a surprisingly low and jaded crowd...and I picked up a parking ticket to round off a great night.

Agree on all points and even joined you in collecting a parking ticket to top off the evening! 

• Like 1

After starting slowly we worked our way into it and imo Raith Rovers scored against the run of play, but after that we huffed and puffed with no effect and we were far to predictable. If we don't win on Saturday i doubt we will manage to stay in the top 4.

Rare game when we don't score. Thought just about everyone played poorly tonight. Don't know whether to make an exception for McBeth as he played for over an hour carrying a yellow. Thought he might have been hooked at half time.

Looked a poor goal to lose even tho' we know how effective Turner can be. But it was at the other end of the pitch where we were more culpable. The starting formation was looking promising but was rightfully changed after Raith scored and sat back. Thereafter we were both lacklustre and too predictable going forward.

Can't honestly say I'm too confident about Saturday.

Just watched the RR highlights, and frankly we could/should have scored several goals. Their keeper had 3 good (if fairly comfortable) saves; we also hit the woodwork twice, and had two clear-cut chances that were sliced/blasted off-target (Fitzpatrick, Diack).

Apart from having to scramble to recover from two mistakes (one a miscommunication with the defender, one due a miskick of a bobbling ball), Mitchell had virtually nothing to do, and was blameless for the goal. In fact, apart from yet another fatal failure to deal with a standard ball into our box, the defence pretty much seemed to have Rovers under their thumb.

Another sore one, but has been mentioned, we are pretty predictable, and I think that changes should have been made earlier. The team is definitely on a downer at the moment; has been since the turn of the year. Failure to win on Saturday will lower the mood and expectations even more, as well as the crowds.

Edited by Jaggernaut

5 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

And I’d be surprised if Adeloye is even injured.. probably seen he wasn’t starting and told Dolan where to go !

Hmm,...... I thought his goal "celebration" at Hampden on Saturday looked, well..... let's say "muted."

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Hmm,...... I thought his goal "celebration" at Hampden on Saturday looked, well..... let's say "muted."

He’s celebrated every goal he’s scored like that! His body language is never the best but I think it’s a stretch to say he’s faking an injury due to a lack of game time 

• Like 1

Watched the game on TV last night so only saw what the BBC showed i.e. a fairly narrow view of the play.  That said, we have become far too predictable as many others here have said.

With the better teams able to nullify our wing play, Graham is effectively isolated.  The best chances last night came from quick (forward) passes in the centre of the pitch.  I'm sure Morton will have learned from last night if they didn't already know, and Saturday could be a difficult game to win.

Even if we make the play-offs, the chances of promotion are probably equal to the square root of bugger all, and so perhaps the time has come for Doolan to show some initiative and change the tactics, probably in preparation for next season.

That means jettisoning some stalwarts and strengthening the mddle of the pitch from the defence to midfield to broaden our attacking options.  If that involves risk so be it:  Doolan should now play the long game and prepare for next season. 

How he does that will be a good measure of his managerial abilities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, laukat said:

Only 4 clean sheets in 28 league games. Not won a league game or had a clean sheet since 6th January against an heavily depleted Arbroath team. 5 points from the last 24 available.

Our form since January has been relegation material. For any other manager of any other club the manager would either be gone or facing serious questions about his future. Personally I would have thought if we don't win any of the next 2 the club needs to act.

We face Morton next and they are on a bit of a slump with Oakley and Wilson out followed by an ICT team that are currently 2nd bottom so no real excuses for not getting results.

We have already lost twice in recent weeks to teams who were second from bottom (Dunfermline and Ayr). Why do you think that ICT will be any easier ?

12 minutes ago, elevenone said:

a sneaky move passed last month to 10pm although I didn't think it was official til April so may be worth checking.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/24129838.parking-charges-extended-10pm-city-zones/

It’s been Mon-Sun until 10pm in the streets around Hinshaw St since the start of last season or earlier. Last season it was around 80p per hour but they put it up to £3 per hour this season. 

I think you can get a ticket if you park outwith a parking bay which is ridiculous as Trossachs St has a single yellow line but no bays along a fair length of it and many people park there

18 minutes ago, elevenone said:

a sneaky move passed last month to 10pm although I didn't think it was official til April so may be worth checking.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/24129838.parking-charges-extended-10pm-city-zones/

Interesting. Council website says the change only starts from April https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=61595&p=0

3 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Watched the game on TV last night so only saw what the BBC showed i.e. a fairly narrow view of the play.  That said, we have become far too predictable as many others here have said.

With the better teams able to nullify our wing play, Graham is effectively isolated.  The best chances last night came from quick (forward) passes in the centre of the pitch.  I'm sure Morton will have learned from last night if they didn't already know, and Saturday could be a difficult game to win.

Even if we make the play-offs, the chances of promotion are probably equal to the square root of bugger all, and so perhaps the time has come for Doolan to show some initiative and change the tactics, probably in preparation for next season.

That means jettisoning some stalwarts and strengthening the mddle of the pitch from the defence to midfield to broaden our attacking options.  If that involves risk so be it:  Doolan should now play the long game and prepare for next season. 

How he does that will be a good measure of his managerial abilities.

It sounds like a simple and logical thing to do, but the people we had on the park and the bench are those that are available for him to pick from. He tried something different against Dundee Utd and it was almost successful. Williams got injured. So that trial was aborted. He tried Milne at Centre back vs QP, which didn’t really work, but Adeloye coming on sparked a come back but he got injured. What would you do next ?

45 minutes ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Interesting. Council website says the change only starts from April https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=61595&p=0

I think that’s for the latest price increase. North Kelvin and North Woodside are amongst the 6 existing zones that already operate 7 days per week until 10pm. It’s clear on the parking signs in the streets and when you enter the area there are signs saying ‘park in marked bays only’