Pars v. Partick - 6 April 2024

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I hadn’t realised the difference between finishing third and fourth is over £90,000.  That’s a big incentive for ensuring we hold onto third place 

I agree and if we're still maintaining "McCall" style contracts the players will also be incentivised on a position ending scale of bonus.

A downside to the play offs is there's bound to be different agendas and attitudes towards the final few games of the season. Do we go hell for leather for that £90K risking injury and fitness levels for the play offs? Whether a club finishes 3rd or 4th makes little difference to the chances of promotion. So there has to be a school of thought to rest key players, even if in doing so you're risking a sizable sum of money. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I hadn’t realised the difference between finishing third and fourth is over £90,000.  That’s a big incentive for ensuring we hold onto third place 

It was mentioned a few times last year that the draw with Raith in the final game cost us 2 places and about £150k

Enjoyed the game yesterday. Didn't think the ref was too bad. At the time I didn't think it was a penalty but having seen the replay it is a foul.

The view from Dunfermline's stand is pretty decent and being near the singing section brings a few laughs. Love the new songs the young team keep coming up with. Up until the last couple of seasons our songbook hadn't change in about 40 years, now its seems there is a new song every week and it certainly adds something.

I thought we performed well and looked comfortable until the penalty. Moving McBeth to the centre of defence and putting Neilson in the midfield makes us look much harder to break down so well done to Doolan and McDonald for changing it about. Thought our starting midfield 3 were very good and that's not something that's been possible to say too often this season. Graham was outstanding and we are very lucky to have a player like him.

Moving to 3-5-2 when Lawless got injured also looked like it could work but we would need Fitzpatrick to recover his form and either Williams or O'Reilly fit so we can keep Neilson in midfield.

Only real sour note was the injury to Lawless. Its never a good sign when a wheelchair is required. Does anyone know what the latest is with him?

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree and if we're still maintaining "McCall" style contracts the players will also be incentivised on a position ending scale of bonus.

A downside to the play offs is there's bound to be different agendas and attitudes towards the final few games of the season. Do we go hell for leather for that £90K risking injury and fitness levels for the play offs? Whether a club finishes 3rd or 4th makes little difference to the chances of promotion. So there has to be a school of thought to rest key players, even if in doing so you're risking a sizable sum of money. 

I suppose if we beat Airdrie in a couple of weeks we will have secured third with still a good couple of weeks to go to rest players 

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Enjoyed the game yesterday. Didn't think the ref was too bad. At the time I didn't think it was a penalty but having seen the replay it is a foul.

The view from Dunfermline's stand is pretty decent and being near the singing section brings a few laughs. Love the new songs the young team keep coming up with. Up until the last couple of seasons our songbook hadn't change in about 40 years, now its seems there is a new song every week and it certainly adds something.

I thought we performed well and looked comfortable until the penalty. Moving McBeth to the centre of defence and putting Neilson in the midfield makes us look much harder to break down so well done to Doolan and McDonald for changing it about. Thought our starting midfield 3 were very good and that's not something that's been possible to say too often this season. Graham was outstanding and we are very lucky to have a player like him.

Moving to 3-5-2 when Lawless got injured also looked like it could work but we would need Fitzpatrick to recover his form and either Williams or O'Reilly fit so we can keep Neilson in midfield.

Only real sour note was the injury to Lawless. Its never a good sign when a wheelchair is required. Does anyone know what the latest is with him?

I think having Mitchell back as number 1 has helped give the defence a bit more confidence as well additionally 

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think having Mitchell back as number 1 has helped give the defence a bit more confidence as well additionally 

That is a very fair point. You could see quite a few instances of times yesterday where Mitchell was shouting at his defence and organising them/ giving them a rollicking. In particular you can see Muirhead doesn't blow his top at Mitchell anywhere near as much as he does with Sneddon.

I suspect that's partly because Sneddon isn't vocal enough and partly because the defence doesn't trust Sneddon as much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But if we had won instead of drawing, we would have been second instead of fourth 

I understood.  Winning at Starks Park isn’t exactly an easy thing for us though, is it ? If we had won, would people have been saying we gained £160K ? I don’t think so.

Winning the final game of last season and finishing second would have meant playing two fewer games in this daft and unfair play-off syetem.

I am convinced finishing second would have meant promotion.

The first signs of fatigue I noticed were in the second half of the home game v Ross County followed by our 'late collapse' at Dingwall.

Of course with an impartial referee we could have still made it but Mr Walsh with 3 ridiculous decisions against us saw the end of that.

In case people have forgotten I'm talking about the Docherty penalty not given, the lung on Tiffoney which should have been a red card and the hand ball against Graham which wasnt a hand ball andctherefore not a penalty.

However even with a referee who was a total homer we would have gained promotion had Dingwall been our 4th and not our 6th play-off game!

I don't know why everyone is so focused on finishing 3rd because other than more prize money we will still have  6 play-off games and the result, if we get to the final two games, will be the same - out on our feet by the 70th minute of the 6th game.

Under Doolan in the play-off games a good team became a great team! I doubt with the squad we have he will be able to do this again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Well we’re clearly not going to be 2nd so will potentially still have up to 6 play off games, so given where we are surely it’s better to aim for third for more money?

Mentioned before that there's likely to be a player incentive based on finishing position. So I doubt we have to worry about taking the foot of the gas. Of course that also means the Club won't end up with the full £90K to go into the pot for next season.

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Winning the final game of last season and finishing second would have meant playing two fewer games in this daft and unfair play-off syetem.

I am convinced finishing second would have meant promotion.

The first signs of fatigue I noticed were in the second half of the home game v Ross County followed by our 'late collapse' at Dingwall.

Okay I have to bite.

What is daft or unfair about our playoff system? It rewards finishing second over 3rd or 4th which seems fair enough to me. It equates to a 15% promotion ratio per league size, which is reasonable. And it equalises the number of league games to be played by the Premier team and the second placed team (if they make it), to 38 games. A 3rd or 4th placed team plays just two more. And when we finish our regular season on 3rd May, the Premier teams will still have four post split (usually competitive) games to play before the playoff final on 23rd.

If you finish 3rd or 4th in a league of 10 it should be very difficult to succeed through playoffs. The current 4th placed team has only won one more game than it has lost. 

I accept that it's difficult for a team in 3rd or 4th. I don't accept that it's unfair

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Games in hand to level off matches played tonight.  From Jags perspective probs wanting Raith to beat Airdrie and Ayr to beat Morton.

Followed by defeat for Morton by Dungdee Utd on Friday, Airdrie & Dunfermline drawing and us beating Raith on Saturday. The following week Ayr fail to beat Dungdee & we beat Airdrie. Third place secured with two games to go. Sorted! And relax!. 🤪