Pars v. Partick - 6 April 2024

We were quite passive in that second half and only put them under pressure after conceding. A little frustrating as we could have been 2 up at HT. Whether we were trying to win ugly in that second half or just out of steam or ideas., but our lack of alternatives off the bench when Lawless went off (and an off form Fitzy) was clear.  Should we make the playoffs we need these guys on form. 

Don’t know if it was a penalty, maybe a lack of experience by McBeth.  Having said that would have taken a point at 3pm! 
Beat Airdrie and 3rd should almost be secured

Just home. It wasn't till I was driving I realised just how strong the wind was. My only criticism is a much repeated one that we near always mismanage the game late on. Desperate clearances and no one further up the park controlling the ball. Instead giving it away cheaply resulting in more panicky clearances. Actually for much of the game we managed conditions better than the Pars and were worthy of our lead. Penalty looked soft but Dunfermline gradually took over the running of the game. We probably deserved a draw but I'm sure most of us welcomed the final whistle more so than the home fans.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Happy with a point although the sooner we secure a play-off place, the better, so we can regroup and potentially rest players. Get the feeling we're now running on fumes and Stevie went off injured today apparently.

Oh and why did it take so long for Mitchell to get back in the team? He has his faults but I concluded yonks ago that we are more solid defensively when plays. Added to fact his distribution is tons better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

A goal scored in every game against the Pars this season. What a player!

20240406_154715.thumb.jpg.22c66d92b53f6d1c9858ff0ae7a113cf.jpg

Well done to BBG…. some folk were writing him off last season but he’s been brilliant for us again this season ( and the women’s team too) 🤚

Compliments to both teams for producing a reasonably exciting game with a bit of quality here and there despite the difficult windy conditions. Not sure how only 2 goals were scored. Both teams struck the woodwork at least twice and there were numerous saves, blocks and goal line clearances.  Draw a very fair result. 

I agree that we need to find a better way of managing the game towards the end. Rather too many rushed clearances and general turnovers of possession.

Although I had selected Stanway over McInroy, Kris Doolan had other ideas, and to be fair McInroy was our best player in the first half. Milne was excellent throughout.

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Just watched a re run of the Falkirk v Cove game , with 20 minutes to go Falkirk bring on 3 subs at the same time, can we do that??No ..we bring on subs and we fall apart..

I think if we were 4 1 up against cove we could do that. 

Not a bad point, all things considered. 

Just a shame that we are not very good at killing teams off after we open the scoring, or seeing a game out without conceding. Still, losing a goal only to a soft penalty isn't bad. Sounds like overall the team put in a good shift.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Just watched a re run of the Falkirk v Cove game , with 20 minutes to go Falkirk bring on 3 subs at the same time, can we do that??No ..we bring on subs and we fall apart..

Bit of perspective, they’re finally running away with league 1 after 5 years of being in that league and Ross McIver & Aiden Nesbitt are 2 of their star players. 

We were in it unjustly for 1 season & humped them 5-0 to win the league. 

I’m sure they’ll do ok next season but I’d expect us to finish above them

On 4/5/2024 at 10:42 PM, JAG1970 said:

I might have missed it but I haven’t heard Doolan giving any update on Adeloye’s injury over the last 3 weeks. Is he out for the rest of the season and played his last game for us?

I think he's back at Swindon for treatment and rehab.   I doubt we'll see him again this season - if at all

In the 1st minute one of our players completely took a Dunfermline player out. The ref didn't think it was a foul. From that moment on I knew we were in for 90 mins of terrible refereeing, and it came to pass. 

More concerning is our continuing attempts to protect a lead. Why does everyone drop so deep? Why do completely lose the ability to play football? We played some decent stuff 1st half; 2nd half was all panicked clearances, often when there was a straightforward pass to a Thistle jersey. 

Whatever the merits of the penalty, we allowed a Dunfermline player to run from almost the halfway line unchallenged to play the ball into the box. Robinson actually moves away to give the guy a free run up the park. If we insist on defending a lead, we need to learn to defend every inch of the park. 

Hope the injury to Lawless is as bad as it looked.  Fingers crossed he's available for the playoffs. The main positive was that we deserved the draw from our 1st half performance and it inches us a little closer to said playoffs. 

• Like 1