It's an awkward situation to say the least.

You hardly want to chuck an inexperienced duo into the managerial hot seat when we are big contenders for the title. Granted, if we were mid-table and going nowhere, I could see the logic in doing this. But at this stage in our season, we really want a manger that has been in these kind of situations before.

I'm sure our compensation money will be reasonably high, and for the first time in decades, we are actually an attractive prospect to entice managers.

Jackie leaving would be a hammer blow no doubt but its still the same players who have taken us where we are just now and I'd like to think at this stage of the season the players and remaining coaching staff are well versed in his training/tactics etc to see us carry on in the same vein.I would love to say I wish him all the best at united but he's jumped ship at the first opportunity to a club who are in the middle of drastic financial constraints and I think he might live to regret his decision.I sincerely hope the board have an ace up their sleeve because if his exit and next managerial decision isn't handled correctly it could set the club back years.

Unfortunately I think it's almost inevitable at some stage he'll be back to "strip us for parts".the likes of erskine,Paton,bannigan etc might not be able to resist the move either!!

Its realy a sore one to take, but to be honest not entirely unpredictable;given the performance of our team this year. Still theres nowt to do but wish hin and Sid all the best and hope our BoD's ensure a sensible appoitment is made. Most importantly, it is vital that we appoint someone with a similar footballing philosophy to Jackie. This does not mean the season's finished, we're still well capable of winning this league.

Edited by stillresigned

Some of the player chat in the last few minutes on twitter:

• conrad balatoni@conradbalatoni As boys have said gonna be a big loss is the gaffer.. Helped me alot! But we will continue and do all we can to win this league! #believe

Paul Paton@PaulPaton4 Absolutely gutted the gaffers left. Been great for me and for the club, unbelievable working under him but it's gone now and we move on

Sean Welsh@welshdogg4 Gutted to see the gaffer go!! Wish him all the best with Dundee utd am sure he will do a great job! Great guy and gaffer!!

Hmmm, Balatoni and Welsh are signed to 2014. Paton who hasn't extended his contract says "great for me and for the club" but "...and 'we' move on".

ominous

Maybe just maybe Beattie is ahead of the game here and has a new manager lined up

Hopefully tomorrow we as fans should be given the up to date situation by our board

Unfortunately I cant see that.

This has to be damaging to our promotion bid no matter who we get as replacement

Theres an even greater chance of players leaving to Dundee United in the summer

If it was the case I would expect us to have been actively looking for a replacement.

There are rumours that McNamara is left for free and while thats likely to be a pile of rubbish if it was true I would be questioning why Beattie was flaunting McNamara on a new improved contract a few weeks ago

with Jackie's house already on the market and Arab's chairman Thompson saying that he has been working on things in the background for some time, it's no surprise that Houston decided to leave ahead of time.

You will forgive my cynicism if I wonder why, with a Cup Final and the prospect of SPL football it's been so difficult for Jackie to convince O'Donnell, Paton, Bannigan, Erskine, Forbes, Fox, Doolan, Craig and Forbes to extend or did he really not see a place for them at Firhill after May?

A really hard one for all jags fans to take, on a day we should be celebrating having two players in the Scotland under 21 squad.

Without doubt the best squad of players we`ve had at Firhill for years, and I`m sure they will be just as disappointed as we are.

Just hope that our season doesn`t fall apart.

Lets keep in mind we have a good pool of players

The team really picks itself

Tactically at home we are spot on

Away still not firing on all cylinders

So there is improvement to come

Maybe a new manager might just push us that final yard

The team that has impressed me this year is Livingstone

They Play the game as we have been doing

That's the guy who would be top of the shopping list

• Members

I aint no expert on United's squad, but I tend to think that the vast majority are better than what we have at Firhill at the moment. I can see him maybe going for the likes of Bannigan, O'Donnell and maybe Muirhead. However, I think they already have the basis of a really good squad there.

Hmmm, Balatoni and Welsh are signed to 2014. Paton who hasn't extended his contract says "great for me and for the club" but "...and 'we' move on".

ominous

Paton leaving wouldn't be a massive loss IMO.

Sounds like Balatoni isn't that bothered anyway-

conrad balatoni@conradbalatoni

Does this mean we can tweet about nandos now??

A year ago many wanted McNamara sacked so let's stop all this gloom and doom, the senior players now need to take the lead and allow the board time to get the right manager in, please no panic lets just get the right man. We were just a stepping stone to the next level, we are supporters he was not, Dundee United are now a stepping stone to bigger things, story goes that united fans don't want him so it may be a tricky job for him. Good luck Jackie and Sid, I think you are going to need it.

Paton leaving wouldn't be a massive loss IMO.

He's been probably our most important player of the year so far, along with Bannigan and Erskine. If Paton were to leave we would seriously struggle to replace him. He has developed into a fantastic player.

Cant believe this..sorry not had time to read any previous posts..but I only heard on the STV news half an hour ago.

I'm astounded the jags board let him talk to him in the first place....quite angry at this....actually hope sevco pump them on saturday never thought I'd ever say that.

Need some time to gather my thoughts