January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

I am glad Archie isn't rushing in, but to be honest, I did expect at least one or two extra players to be added to the squad ahead of the Ross County game. If we get the three points, fair enough, but certainly don't want to wait to the last week in January and say to ourselves, "only if X had been brought in sooner."

We still need a defender to be brought in ASAP, and no player has really been mentioned in the rumour mill. They all seem to centre around midfield and attacking players.

I think the way Archie has been talking we will make an offer for McGeough at some point during the window

We still need a defender to be brought in ASAP, and no player has really been mentioned in the rumour mill. They all seem to centre around midfield and attacking players.

I've been wondering this. For all the talk on here, is there actually any evidence that Archie wants to sign a central defender? And given Gabriel's better form, do we really need one?

I've been wondering this. For all the talk on here, is there actually any evidence that Archie wants to sign a central defender? And given Gabriel's better form, do we really need one?

We do need another defender, especially as Osbourne's out for the season. What happens if two out of the central defenders are injured or suspended? Would you play Lindsay alongside Piccolo? McMillan is cover for O'Donnell.

I guess Liam Lindsay is next in the depth chart at that position. I've heard he is keen to get involved. Not done too badly in games against Dumbarton and Hibs that I've seen him.

I think his contract up and may move on if he doesn't get some game time.

I'd have a look at Murray Wallace if possible. Excellent talent at Falkirk, not played much since his move to Huddersfield. Another young player but would fit in well with the talented young squad we already have.

Not got an opinion on the player but I thought the overriding urgency of the window was to bring in a bit of "tried and tested" to fill or cover positions where we've been exposed as weak.or lacking. To be cold and calculating so far we've lost Osbourne and gained Taylor while we still have Fraser. While in net terms we may be no worse off we're certainly no better off in terms of experience at our level.

While it's important to look to the future (eg a replacement for ATS) I won't feel that confident, given our league position if we concentrate purely on potential.

Archie seemed to go off him after the Hearts draw - Fraser gave the ball away leading to their equaliser. He was then subbed after an hour the next game against Motherwell, which we lost. Osbourne then started to get into the team and Fraser didn't feature again (I think).

It's a bit harsh to say he gave the ball away vs Hearts. His ankles were clipped that resulted in him stumbling.

It's a bit harsh to say he gave the ball away vs Hearts. His ankles were clipped that resulted in him stumbling.

From what I recall, he should have quickly and easily cleared the ball and didn't. Hearts player picked up ball, ran and scored.

I am delighted we have signed him, just saying what I think may have influenced Archie dropping him.

From what I recall, he should have quickly and easily cleared the ball and didn't. Hearts player picked up ball, ran and scored.

I am delighted we have signed him, just saying what I think may have influenced Archie dropping him.

Hmmm mybes, the back 4 also stood off the boy running thru after that tho v hearts... he struggled a bit at fir park in that 1st half as most of the team did and big ozzy came in and gave us something a wee bit different from then on...

Thought I'd look into all the first team signings Archie's made, and rate them...

Jordan McMillan

Signed towards the tail end of last season to make sure we got over the line. Has struggled with injury both last season and this season but competent when called upon. 6/10

Andy Dowie

Like McMillan, signed for the run-in and did his bit for us. Redeemed himself after a poor first spell at the club. 6/10

John Baird

Hasn't worked out for us (so far?). A lot of us were skeptical at the beginning, as fans of his previous, relegated club Dundee were even split on whether they actually wanted to retain him for their push back to the promise land. Which would've been a good move, as Championship is his level in my honest opinion. Doesn't work as a lone striker but perhaps has a role to play for us in the hole or in a partnership with Taylor. Don't think anyone would miss him if he was to leave though. Two year contract definitely a mistake. 4/10

Paul Gallacher

Has only been called upon for one league game. Signed as a back-up, and is a reliable one to have. The fact that he doubles up as goalkeeping coach is exactly what we needed after Hinchcliffe left, so this has been a positive signing despite not seeing him in action all too often. Can't put a rating to it.

Mark Kerr

I think we all felt we needed an experienced head signed in the summer but sadly Kerr's definitely not up to this league anymore. Thank God Osbourne signed, and I think if we knew Osbourne was available then Kerr would never have been snapped up in the first place. The argument that he got a contract because he's a mate of Archie's shouldn't be disregarded. Again, signed from relegated Dundee and it hasn't worked out for him. 2.5/10

Henoc Mukendi

A "gamble" which never paid off. Signed on a whim, on a tip-off, for no money whatsoever. You've got to wonder how people like Mukendi get to Liverpool in the first place. Not the worst idea taking one of their youngsters on loan but Mukendi, it's safe to say, never worked out. 1/10

Gary Fraser

Started the season brightly, but made a mistake in the Hearts game (in which he played well) then didn't seem to work at all with Osbourne at Fir Park. We then never really saw him again, thanks mainly to Osbourne's brilliance and Fraser's stupidity when he basically assaulted a fellow footballer. We've now signed him on a 2 and a half year deal, mainly 'thanks' to that incident. Has plenty of promise and could be a big signing for us. Great eye for a pass. Can see me revisiting this rating at the end of the season to bump it up one or two points but as it stands...6/10

Gabriel Rojo de la Vega Piccolo

Has definitely improved. I felt he was at fault for all three of Aberdeen's goals on his debut, and feared the worst for him here, but he has steadily came onto a game. Before last season, Chris Erskine had this thing about him where you could tell within the first five minutes if it was going to be his day or not. And if it was, he'd be excellent and if it wasn't, he'd be stinking. I think Gabriel's got that same inconsistency about him. He's been magic in some games yet sometimes goes through matches making plenty of mistakes. I've still got a slight feeling of trepidation ahead of matches when thinking about him. Although I guess, by that same token, I should feel the same way about the other central defenders, who have made plenty of mistakes this season too. Wins his fair share of headers. 6.5/10

Isaac Osbourne

Fantastic. Shame he's out for the season because time after time this guy is man of the match. Controls the midfield, covers his area superbly and can throw himself into tackles. Someone made a fair point about us picking up a good amount of points without him in the team, so there is an argument to suggest he impacts on our playing style, but assessing him as an individual I think he performs absolutely brilliantly at this level. Great desire to win the ball. 9/10

Kallum Higginbotham

There's no doubting he's a talented boy but he needs to add some end product to his game. We need him to pitch in with more goals than he is doing. A very skillful player, not afraid to take people on or take a shot, perhaps a little too greedy at times but certainly entertaining on the eye. 7/10

Lyle Taylor

Infancy of his Thistle career but it's going well. Opened his account against Hearts and although I wasn't at Celtic Park, seemed to put a real shift in there too. Personally I'm one of those who would be interested in seeing him playing in the same side as Doolan, but right now he's performing well in the lone striker role. I'm glad he's signed, we definitely needed a striker and with his goalscoring record last season I think he will continue to prove he's good enough at this level. As it's early on, right now he gets a 7/10

Well that's killed a bit of time before the match...

Also, I'll just chuck this out there, 34 year old Rudi Skacel has been linked with Alloa. He didn't do anything of note when he was at Dundee Utd, but I still think he could do a job in our squad short-term, and I'd like to see us try and lure him here. Would others disagree?

Finally, not sure Dylan McGeouch is the answer. We've already got enough promising attacking midfield youngsters who don't find the net. We need a goalscorer. Erskine or Shiels on loan would be nice but very unlikely.

Thought I'd look into all the first team signings Archie's made, and rate them...

Jordan McMillan

Signed towards the tail end of last season to make sure we got over the line. Has struggled with injury both last season and this season but competent when called upon. 6/10

Andy Dowie

Like McMillan, signed for the run-in and did his bit for us. Redeemed himself after a poor first spell at the club. 6/10

John Baird

Hasn't worked out for us (so far?). A lot of us were skeptical at the beginning, as fans of his previous, relegated club Dundee were even split on whether they actually wanted to retain him for their push back to the promise land. Which would've been a good move, as Championship is his level in my honest opinion. Doesn't work as a lone striker but perhaps has a role to play for us in the hole or in a partnership with Taylor. Don't think anyone would miss him if he was to leave though. Two year contract definitely a mistake. 4/10

Paul Gallacher

Has only been called upon for one league game. Signed as a back-up, and is a reliable one to have. The fact that he doubles up as goalkeeping coach is exactly what we needed after Hinchcliffe left, so this has been a positive signing despite not seeing him in action all too often. Can't put a rating to it.

Mark Kerr

I think we all felt we needed an experienced head signed in the summer but sadly Kerr's definitely not up to this league anymore. Thank God Osbourne signed, and I think if we knew Osbourne was available then Kerr would never have been snapped up in the first place. The argument that he got a contract because he's a mate of Archie's shouldn't be disregarded. Again, signed from relegated Dundee and it hasn't worked out for him. 2.5/10

Henoc Mukendi

A "gamble" which never paid off. Signed on a whim, on a tip-off, for no money whatsoever. You've got to wonder how people like Mukendi get to Liverpool in the first place. Not the worst idea taking one of their youngsters on loan but Mukendi, it's safe to say, never worked out. 1/10

Gary Fraser

Started the season brightly, but made a mistake in the Hearts game (in which he played well) then didn't seem to work at all with Osbourne at Fir Park. We then never really saw him again, thanks mainly to Osbourne's brilliance and Fraser's stupidity when he basically assaulted a fellow footballer. We've now signed him on a 2 and a half year deal, mainly 'thanks' to that incident. Has plenty of promise and could be a big signing for us. Great eye for a pass. Can see me revisiting this rating at the end of the season to bump it up one or two points but as it stands...6/10

Gabriel Rojo de la Vega Piccolo

Has definitely improved. I felt he was at fault for all three of Aberdeen's goals on his debut, and feared the worst for him here, but he has steadily came onto a game. Before last season, Chris Erskine had this thing about him where you could tell within the first five minutes if it was going to be his day or not. And if it was, he'd be excellent and if it wasn't, he'd be stinking. I think Gabriel's got that same inconsistency about him. He's been magic in some games yet sometimes goes through matches making plenty of mistakes. I've still got a slight feeling of trepidation ahead of matches when thinking about him. Although I guess, by that same token, I should feel the same way about the other central defenders, who have made plenty of mistakes this season too. Wins his fair share of headers. 6.5/10

Isaac Osbourne

Fantastic. Shame he's out for the season because time after time this guy is man of the match. Controls the midfield, covers his area superbly and can throw himself into tackles. Someone made a fair point about us picking up a good amount of points without him in the team, so there is an argument to suggest he impacts on our playing style, but assessing him as an individual I think he performs absolutely brilliantly at this level. Great desire to win the ball. 9/10

Kallum Higginbotham

There's no doubting he's a talented boy but he needs to add some end product to his game. We need him to pitch in with more goals than he is doing. A very skillful player, not afraid to take people on or take a shot, perhaps a little too greedy at times but certainly entertaining on the eye. 7/10

Lyle Taylor

Infancy of his Thistle career but it's going well. Opened his account against Hearts and although I wasn't at Celtic Park, seemed to put a real shift in there too. Personally I'm one of those who would be interested in seeing him playing in the same side as Doolan, but right now he's performing well in the lone striker role. I'm glad he's signed, we definitely needed a striker and with his goalscoring record last season I think he will continue to prove he's good enough at this level. As it's early on, right now he gets a 7/10

Well that's killed a bit of time before the match...

That a pretty fair assessment, I reckon. It'll be interesting to re-visit it at the end of the season.

It's unlikely that Rangers will go into admin. They could raise more funds via a rights issue or borrow against Ibrox and Murray Park which were bought for a fraction of their value.

Hope they do go into Admin and Liquid again, absolutely loving it , lol.Is detest too strong a word ?

Part of a managers job is to pick players that will make a contribution to the club. In this respect it is not just about picking good players, but also ones that will play often enough so as not to be a drain on resources. Now, I am not having ago at Archie, cos he is new to it, but if Isaac is out for the rest of the season, his rating is surely going to drop.

ThickAsThieves' assessment is fair. I'd only tweak it slightly by downgrading Osbourne an 8, as he slows our game and rarely passes the ball forward. And I'd up Higgy to an 8, as the invention he adds to the forward line leads me to forgive his occasional over-extravagance and botched dribble. He also puts in a shift, and for someone who stands several inches under 6ft he wins a surprising number of headers.

who next after that daniele chiarini and adrian madaussie

joking asside we are conceding too many goals i though archie registered himself so why no play weir played into his 40s archie still got a few years yet we going on about expierence archie has that with thistle and utd in spl