Tonights Game

Football fans tend to get too carried away by an early good performance but it's hard not to after watching that last night. The midfield 3 of Banzo, Abdul and Fraser passed them off the park - a class above the County midfield. This with both SOD and Higgy causing all sorts of problems down either wing. It was one of those rare nights where everybody was at the top of thier games.

Mcmillan was excellent on the left, some of his tackles and interceptions were super. A great player to have in the squad.

I was a little surprised to see Gallagher and Doolan not playing but Archie called it right. Great to get a home win because I felt the lack of a home win last season really did effect us.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

Few people mentioning McMillan and rightly so. He had a brilliant end to last season and I thought he was outstanding last night.

He seems to win every 50/50 challenge he goes in for. He's absolutely solid.

We'll still be looking for a left back but Jordan has shown that he can slot in there no problem.

Genuine concerns? Every single "concern" shown up to be bollocks. What tonight proved is that some fans know the square root of fvck all about football. Good to see the manager and the team stick it to the critics tonight. Long may it continue. And with that, I'll leave you all to it.

Enjoy the season

Rather than bask in the glow of an epic opening day win Mr Super Fan would rather settle internet scores, interesting choice.

The biggest plus from last night for me was that it was very clear just how hard we have been working in pre season.

What have we learned compared to this time last season? We know how sharp you need to be at this level. We were no longer playing the passing game just in front of the opposition, there was a cutting edge to our play. Every one of our players were biting at ankles to win the ball back. We were covering for each other in every position, instead of reacting when the opposition noticed a space.

Credit to the coaching staff for all of this. Obviously massive credit to the players for working hard too!

• Like 1

I was a little pessimistic but absolutely no need to be, in the end.

Terrific performance full of verve and poise. Ross County were very, very poor defensively but they're no mugs going forward, so we did well to stifle them.

Osman star man for me but Fraser deserved MotM, as it was such an emphatic performance in the final third. McMillan also played like a man possessed as did O'Donnell in the second half.

The Shed looked great, with decent numbers, all standing. It's great that the club have allowed us to do this. So many other stadia enforce such horrible restrictions these days. On that note, will we be herded into a small corner of Dens Park's main stand on Saturday? It appears that was the case for Killie last week.

Just one thing im unclear about, higgy takes the baw by the keeper and goes down without claiming for a penalty and lawless keeps the baw in play. Why was the game then stopped and him booked when the chance was still there?

Good question. Maybe diving is now considered to be a foul? How did play re-start?

A very enjoyable night.

One the weather and the light evening. It is such a novelty playing in nice conditions. I would like Scottish football to start at least a week earlier and finish a week later with some more mid week games (local derbies not mid week hoofs for Ross County fans to travel to Glasgow) so we enjoy the weather while we can. Have a mid season break for players and pitches to rest. I know we'll never manage to avoid the bad weather but it breaks things up.

Aitken Suite is better. Feels like a real pub instead of worn old function suite. Free pies too! I think they could offer some good food that you order beforehand. I'm more of a gourmet burger and flat white person (yes on of those) than pie and bovril. Our food tastes have change massively over past 10 to 20 years. The place was busy and stewards were stopping people getting in which was daft as there was enough room for those waiting.

Team performance was great. What I love about the team last night was they kept possession. Ross County were hard to break down and at times we had Higgy walking with the ball as there was no space to pass but we would simply start again. Not pump the ball aimlessly down the wing or in the box but give it back to defence or deep lying midfielder and then watch space open and create it ourselves. Love it. The crowd had a few grumbles but majority want this and understand it. I think as a support we have learned to understand football better (I know I have) the past 3 or 4 seasons and move away for the cave man stuff.

Individuals. Fox - 2 fantastic saves. McMillan - is very fast and comfortable at LB. SOD - back to what we remembered. High up the pitch and when he runs at players they are scared. Conrad & Danny - had a couple of communication problems but that will come good. Both coped well. Bannigan, Fraser, Osman - all very comfortable on the ball. Banzo stop pickinig up bookings!!!. Higgy - was maybe quieter than normal but still a threat. Lawless - good touches and deserves to stay in team. Stevenson - no complaints although not sure if forward is his best position. Loved his backheel for the move that started the 3rd goal.

Then pleasant walk back to the train station. Would prefer a bigger crowd but it was midweek against a team from about 3+ hours travel away.

We were outstanding tonight. County were woeful but we would've beaten anyone in this league with the way we played tonight, and I include Celtic. All four goals were incredibly well worked, and I don't think I've seen a ball as good as Fraser's to O'Donnell for the fourth in a long, long time. McMillan filled in the left-back slot comfortably, and although we do still need to sign a left-back, I don't think we have any issues if we have to use him there at all this season. O'Donnell was more like the player we saw in the first half of the promotion season and our midfield three were immense. Lawless and Higginbotham playing either side of Stevenson or Doolan is the way we should be starting every week when we're at our strongest as I thought they all linked together really well.

One or two more signings and our squad will be ready with decent strength in depth for a long season. If anyone thinks we're getting relegated based on the performance tonight, then they need to have a look at themselves. We should be comfortably safe if we play even half as good as that every week.

We wouldn't have beaten everybody as the likes of Celtic and Dundee Utd would have taken much more advantage of the defensive mistakes we made. There weren't an awful lot of these but there were enough that a team with top class strikers could have scored a few goals.

I'm not having a go at the defence by the way: Seabourne was having his first outing and it will take a game or three for him and Balatoni to get used to each other's game. Also although good last night Osman still is brand new in the team. Once it all gels I think we'll be as good attacking as last year but more solid as a team and give away fewer goals.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm trying desperately hard, not to be carried away after last night's performance and most importantly result. The thing is that I'm finding it extremely difficult, a nice victory over Scumdee would make this possibly the best start to the season I've personally ever witnessed and go a considerable way to put to rest any doubts that many people (including me!) had pre-season.

Few people mentioning McMillan and rightly so. He had a brilliant end to last season and I thought he was outstanding last night.

He seems to win every 50/50 challenge he goes in for. He's absolutely solid.

We'll still be looking for a left back but Jordan has shown that he can slot in there no problem.

Thinking about some of the good problems Archie has after last night. Tough on Gallacher and Doolan being left out without doing anything wrong but Dools is used to the bench and will know he'll get plenty of opportunities and Gal at least has the consolation of knowing he's Scott's coach.

By far the biggest decision looming will likely be leaving out either Jordan or SOD always assuming Archie does bring in an established left back. You can hardly leave out a right back that is carrying a goal threat but McMillan is so solid and a natural leader. Great problem to have as would having a fully fit Sean Welsh available to play in midfield.

Just one thing im unclear about, higgy takes the baw by the keeper and goes down without claiming for a penalty and lawless keeps the baw in play. Why was the game then stopped and him booked when the chance was still there?

The only sour moment for me. You could tell it was a dive from the North Stand and it looks worse every time I see it. I don't want to see our players cheating and there's no doubt that Higgy's dive was an attempt to do that.

Maybe it's these new red'n'yella tinted specs, but it looked to me (via the highlights) that Higgy jumped over the keeper and didn't keep his feet, rather than a blatant dive. If it was a dive wee Tom Daley's got nuthin tae worry aboot and I'm disappointed in that from a Jags player (Disappointed in the fact that he cheated not in the quality (or lack of it) of the dive!!)

Its great to start your morning by introducing your team meeting in work with last nights highlights to show to the Norwegians, Danes & Germans in my team.

Think I've watched them around 6 or 7 times already, we played some fantastic football last night and could have had more, the team looks fit, hungry and oozing with confidence, playing football the right way. Keep this squad fit and clear of suspensions and we'll do well this season.

Proud to be a Jags fan :fan:

It was an extremely impressive performance, as good as any that we've produced over the last few years. There was a great synergy throughout the team (something that County completely lacked) and some of the patterns of play were a joy to watch. That said, I thought we were slightly disjointed for the opening ten minutes or so, particularly when breaking on a counter where there were massive gaps in the middle of the park; however, once we settled into the game, this resolved itself.

There's only one place to start - Gary Fraser. As sublime a performance as I've ever witnessed in nearly 20 years. Dare I say it, some of his passes were Charnley-esque. If he can keep his head screwed on - and I think he's showing signs of maturing - he can be as good as he wants to be and we'll make a tidy sum when he departs. Archie pushing him into a slightly more advanced position suits his game perfectly and his alternation with Bannigan throughout the game was just fantastic. He orchestrated everything, set up the second and fourth goals with tremendous passes and made his own goal look very easy (great composure from Christie to pick him out, by the way). A genuine ten out of ten performance.

He was supported very ably by the aforementioned Bannigan and Abdul Osman who provided the steel and aggression that we've missed since Osbourne's injury. The only criticism that I had of Bannigan's game in seasons gone by was that he never scored enough goals or got himself into the positions to do so but he did that on a couple of occasions last night. If he can add goals to his game, he's in the same boat as Fraser and could go onto play at a really decent level. Osman is more mobile than Osbourne and rarely wastes the ball; only one small criticism would be that he was caught ball-watching a couple of times during short spells of County pressure but that could be attributed to tiredness. Very impressive from the midfield triumvirate.

McMillan has given Archie something to think about because he was tremendous at left back. I'm a big fan of McMillan and think he's developed into one of our most important players. Solid defensively and showed great stamina to get up the line to support Higginbotham. Against trickier wingers such as Hayes and Doran for example, he might be vulnerable on the turn but I'd be content for him to continue in the position. One thing is for certain - Archie definitely cannot drop him on the back of that performance.

Elsewhere, I thought Seaborne had a solid debut and showed signs that he and Balatoni could form a decent partnership. He was vocal and attacked the ball which are two attributes we've been looking for plus he showed that he could play a bit by sliding a few passes in the wide areas on a number of occasions. O'Donnell was back to his swashbuckling best but is still fragile defensively as exemplified by most of County's attacks coming down our right side. I mentioned after the Sunderland game that Stevenson would be wasted up front and that proved to be the case despite a workmanlike display.

As for County, it's just the exact same problem as last season. Thought the left-back was particularly poor and the whole defence looked like they'd barely met. Brittain's attempts at cheating were almost as pathetic as his performance. Like most County fans, I imagine, I'm flummoxed why Adams doesn't start de Leeuw who appears to be the best attacking option.

All in all, a very encouraging start.

Edited by Armand2

Spot on, second goal settled the nerves, new ozzy was solid this brought out the performance from Fraser, Wee lawman had them rattled all in all everyone played well but for me seabiscuit for a lad who only signed a few days earlier was outstanding wasn’t shy in organising the defence well done son

new ozzy was solid this brought out the performance from Fraser

Indeed. We are really very, very good.

Where did that Prince Bauben go? Me and my bird were planning to film a scene with him up at Ruchill Park, at midnight.

Get your knickers off for Mr Seaborne girls.

Edited by The Devil's Point

Interesting you mention County's left back.

I actually thought their right back was out of this world appaulling.

When it came to corners he was standing on his own just looking around, completely clueless.

Didn't think he was much better, to be honest. Surprising because he was quite highly regarded down south and was tipped to make a move to an upper League 1/lower Championship team. Goes to show that the English game isn't as good as some would have you believe.

Fantastic result and fantastic team performance.

Everyone was excellent including the subs - Doolan, Craigen and Elliot

Agree completely with Willjag - If Abdul keeps this up should be looking to get a new contract for him same with Stevie Lawless though it maybe both players only wanted 1 year deals

2 players who had their ups and downs last year - Foxy and SOD were outstanding

Ryan is a good choice for captain

I have thought Jordan was one of our most underrated players last season, albeit he had injuries the first few months - would be happy if we his contract extended

well done all

They say that we play too loud, well baby thats tough.

They say that we play too much, but we can't get enough.

Trying not to be the fool,

Baby I'm a fool for you.

Get off you knees

My temperature is getting high.

Take a chance while you still have a choice.

Rock and Roll Damnation. Take a chance while you still have a choice.

Domnation, do you want to live in sin? Damnation. Lets Rock and Roll.

Sin City xxx

• Like 1