Motherwell On Saturday

1 John Lambie

Archie did say we could be down to the bare bones on Saturday but he is confident that whatever team we put out can win against most teams in the league. We, as supporters, have a role to play as well and if we can get right behind the players from kick off and give them some confidence it will help. There are a lot of people who seem to know what directors, managers and players should be doing but forget the important role that supporters can play on matchdays so lets not do what Stuart McCall would want and get on our players' backs if things are not going our way.

• Like 2

Preview up on the OS now.

Also a video interview

Looks like HIggy's out for 3-4 weeks so a lot of thought needed about our best option. I know an obvious thing is to just put Elliot in but do we have a better option?

How about O'Donnell in as a winger and Lawless over to the left (Lawless is a slight doubt but will probably be OK)?

Or O'Donnell in at right-back and McMillan defensive midfield with Bannigan moving forward?

Of course it's possible Lawless might not make it (and a couple of players were ill apparently though should be OK) and regardless of position/formation changes we'll have to bring Elliot and maybe Craigen into the team.

Edited by Mr Bunny

How about changing the tactics & going 4-4-2?

Get more bodies in the box. Stevenson struggling to support Doolan so why not play Ecclestone & Doolan up top with O'Donnell & McDaid in the wide areas with Bannigan & Osman n the midfield.

Surely that's better than trying to shoehorn players into this 4-5-1 that isn't working as we aren't getting the full back width?

I see Motherwell have 4 players returning after injuries

Since we have lost Fraser we have looked a bit stretched in midfield

If fit I would play

Gallagher. - fox has def lost confidence and is not a commanding influence in the box

McMillan seaborne Balatoni Carroll

O'donnell bannigan Osman elliott

Doolan Stevenson

Stephens return is well overdue. His pace should cause them problems down the right

This would allow bannigan and Osman play a more defensive role

Elliott again should be given his chance on the left he has real pace

I would play Stevenson up front with Doolan playing off him

It's going to be a real struggle today but bring it on and let's get behind the team

Btw this should a great opportunity for some of the young lads to get some game time

So ... just checking that this game against Motherwell - a team that finished second in the league, thirty-two points above Thistle and won three for three in our games last season, a team that may have had a poor start to the season but drew with Celtic at Parkhead two games ago and are currently equal on points with us - this game is a must-win for us?

Oh, and Kallum Higginbotham is on the injury list now too. But it's still a must-win game?

Okay.

This'll be a fun evening no matter what the score is. Let me make sure I've plenty of popcorn in.

• Like 1

Why is it a must win game?

After today 4 from our next 6 games are away from home, and the 2 home games are against St Johnstone and Aberdeen.

It doesn't matter where Motherwell finished last season. It's a new season and a new team. They are below us in the league at the moment and we are at home.

Making excuses before the game is loser talk.

This being a must win game has nothing to do with my opinion of Archibald. A run of hard games is coming up and it's very important we get 3 points today.

I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Wins safeguard Archibald's job.

If I had some vendetta against him and wanted him to go at any cost then I would want us to lose today.

• Like 1

This being a must win game has nothing to do with my opinion of Archibald. A run of hard games is coming up and it's very important we get 3 points today.

If I had some vendetta against him and wanted him to go at any cost then I would want us to lose today.

You don't?

You'll be coming along to cheer the team on today then?

Still no coherent argument as to why this is a must-win game. Oh, the games in the next few weeks are going to be difficult? They're all difficult. I guess that means they're all must-win games.

All three points are important, except those against ICT, which people didn't seem to be that bothered about. In fact, the thread about that game was mostly about how poor we were. It amazes me that beating the then league leaders almost passes this board by without much praise, so everyone can concentrate on the next chance of doooom and gloooom.

I think I'll stick my usual "hope-win" and see how it goes, thanks. And if we lose I get to be entertained by the garment-rending and gnashing-of-teeth that will be prevalent on here.

• Like 1

an open prayer

God , big yin, ma man. ye ken I never ask fir much, ye always let me doon, and a canny even get £25 on the lottery. but if ye just turn Craigen and Elliot into football players for the one day only, I'll start puttin money in yer plate, just the one day, noo thats no much ti ask is it.

an open prayer

God , big yin, ma man. ye ken I never ask fir much, ye always let me doon, and a canny even get £25 on the lottery. but if ye just turn Craigen and Elliot into football players for the one day only, I'll start puttin money in yer plate, just the one day, noo thats no much ti ask is it.

Well I want us to win today and let me put it another way....another defeat today and a poor performance with the run of games coming up we have could make things very difficult ......some people seem to think we can go from defeat to defeat with little or no consequences

• Like 2

Today is a must win. This is a fact because our following games are against difficult teams. It follows that these are not "must win". Unless of course we lose today's "must win". In which case these games become "must win". But because we're bound to lose these games all is hopeless. I don't know why we bother.

Can't we just go back to finishing eighth in the first division every season? I don't remember any must win games back then. And while we may have gone through a few managers, they weren't getting sacked after every defeat. But God help them if they'd got us promoted.

• Like 1

To have Fraser, Higginbotham and Lawless all out injured at the same time is rotten luck given that they are three of the most creative players in the squad. It looks like we're going to have to roll up the sleeves and be a bit more solid and functional for the next few weeks. Hopefully the likes of Craigen and McDaid can seize on any opportunity this may afford them.

Edited by Stewarty