Ict/killie Games

Chachi

So

Did we rest doolan ahead of this winable duo of games? Surely its games and sharpness needed at this stage and not a rest?

Will we deploy the same personnel (where possible) sticking to similar formation, given the 3 league wins last season?

The back 4 picks itself id say, stevo back to play in front of our best 3 in the middle, meaning either lawless or amoo with doolan/pogba up front.

Or (shudder) will stevo get the nod to lead the line again?

On to killie,

10 losses from last 11, apparently woeful thus far and only 3 shots at goal in two games. Likely to be pumped by celtic ahead of playing us.

Difficult to judge our start given the way things panned out, but the next 5 days will give a better indication.

I'm looking for a 4 point haul, 6 with a bit of hope/luck.

Mon the jags!

Ridiculous to think, but even this early in the season these two games could shape our whole season. Two wins or a win and a draw would give us a very good start to the season, however two defeats will leave us at the bottom with games v Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee coming up. A few important days coming up!

Edited by Lindau

I'm interested to know what people think is our best back four.

Personally, I would stick with the two boys. They have done nothing wrong in the two games they have played in and neither deserves to be dropped, however pretty sure Fred will be back on Wednesday with probably Jack dropping to the bench

I'm interested to know what people think is our best back four.

i would have christie elliott at rb (when fit), the two young lads in the centre and callum booth at lb.

it is also my belief that our strongest trio in mid-midfield is welsh, osman and bannigan. now that sean welsh appears returned to full fitness, ryan stevenson should be on the bench and never again selected as the loan spearhead. i admire archie but his decision to start stevenson ahead of dools or pogba on sunday was perverse in the extreme

ok, who had match day 3 in the sweep for "must win" being trotted out?

:D

I think it's important we start scoring. Even making decent chances would be a step forward. Amoo's direct wing play with straight forward crossing will be more beneficial to Pogba so I would expect if one starts both start or like Sunday they both come on as subs.

Jagger's question re best back four is a bit of a poser. Miller and Booth at full back for sure but I'd say it's a bit early to judge the centrebacks. Alex Ferguson was forever going on about the importance of the pairing as opposed to the individuals. Miller/McLeish, Pallister/Bruce, Vidic/Ferdinand etc. I think we might be able to say who the two best centrebacks are but that doesn't mean they'd be the best units. I might be wrong but I don't think Seaborne and Frans have played competitively together that often so just because they're the most experienced doesn't necessarily mean they'll gel. If pushed I'd go for a right sided and a left side pairing of Frans and Lindsay ahead of Hendry and Seaborne but I really think the fine form of two youngsters has thrown centreback selection up in the air.

We haven't looked like scoring a goal in 180 minutes of competitive football this season. That needs to change over the next 4 days. Hopefully Pogba, Doolan and Amoo are ready to change all that this week!!

That's not true - van dyke had to clear one that Pogba would have had a tap in and again Pogba put one just past shortly after. I know it has not been good but don't make it worse than it is.

That's not true - van dyke had to clear one that Pogba would have had a tap in and again Pogba put one just past shortly after. I know it has not been good but don't make it worse than it is.

Has Gordon or McGovern had to make any saves in our first two games? Has Cerny? Think we know the answer to that one. Yes there are circumstances behind both games, namely the sending off and the fact that we always appear to throw in the towel against Celtic. Not sure how I can make it worse than its been. We have created next to nothing in 180 minutes, sadly that's the facts. Let's hope that changes tonight and/or on Saturday!

Edited by Lindau

Cerny

Miller - Frans - Lindsay - Booth

Welsh - Osman

Lawless - Stevenson - Bannigan

Doolan

I would go with the following team for tonight. Having both Pogba and Amoo to bring off the bench gives us options to be able to change the game. Both will start in Saturday's game though imo.

Tough on Hendry getting dropped but Frans has to start if fit. I am sure Hendry will start against Falkirk along with Scully.

Seaborne needs to prove his fitness before he gets back into the team and Lindsay has done enough to stay in the 11.

edited to add if Christie Elliott is out for a while then Archie will need to move for another full back.

Edited by Alan Murray

For the season, whenever they're available.

Really? So if Pogba stinks it up for an hour, Doolan comes on, scores 3 - then start Pogba again? If Frans has 3 bombscare games in a row, Hendry hasn't done enough to warrant another start? That's just a daft statement.

For tonight, I think we start with Doolan. Inverness have a makeshift back line at the moment, but they do have big, strong guys back there. A quicker striker on the break will be the better option. We scored 4 against them up there last season by using the ball well when we got the chance to break quickly.

I'd imagine that's pretty close to the optimum starting eleven. I'll wait and see tho' if Pogba and Amoo are "real" starters or better off the bench. Amoo will need to be able to switch wings with Lawless as often as not. Wee Stevie is far better coming in from the right. That's maybe why we still need a creative wide player brought into the squad.

We all know what Stevo and Dools bring to the table but the one player that is capable of becoming a definite starter is Fraser. Talking of course more about what he can do as to what he does do.

Really?

Yes. Barring a tactical tweak here and there. It was pretty apparent from Sunday's cameo appearance that Pogba is going to pull defenders around in a manner similar to Lyle Taylor. That's going to create space for the likes of Lawless, Amoo and Welsh/Stevenson. Doolan is a lot less mobile, but I'm delighted to have him as an option.

Like you I have very definite ideas about things (you seemed to blame all of Sunday's right side ills on Miller without taking Lawless's contribution into account, for instance) and you might think my post was daft, but I think it's imperative to have a fairly settled side.