Just In....

King Kenny

Amidst the understandable euphoria at our current run of results - and long may it continue - I see that the BBC records us as having one shot on target yesterday. Only one shot on target last week at Tannadice too. I know Dools hit the bar twice yesterday, but is the lack of shots on target something to worry about?

No. We have just won four games in a row.

• Like 1

For me Abdul Osman was the mom yesterday. On numerous occasions he broke up the county play when it matter - he battles tirelessly and anyone can see that if there is a 50/50 ball big Abdul will come out with the ball.

Going forward he is clueless but that's not his job. He has a very unglamorous job of breaking up attacking play and then despatching a short ball to a colleague so his pursuits are sometimes unnoticed

I do worry without Abdul how Thistle will cope in that vital role.

• Like 2

Amidst the understandable euphoria at our current run of results - and long may it continue - I see that the BBC records us as having one shot on target yesterday. Only one shot on target last week at Tannadice too. I know Dools hit the bar twice yesterday, but is the lack of shots on target something to worry about?

Do they count the own goal as a shot on target ? Or was the Lawless shot in the 1st half not on target

For me Abdul Osman was the mom yesterday. On numerous occasions he broke up the county play when it matter - he battles tirelessly and anyone can see that if there is a 50/50 ball big Abdul will come out with the ball.

Going forward he is clueless but that's not his job. He has a very unglamorous job of breaking up attacking play and then despatching a short ball to a colleague so his pursuits are sometimes unnoticed

I do worry without Abdul how Thistle will cope in that vital role.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Abdul is a star. Can't see him wanting to leave tbh, he might get more money but where else is he going to get a free ball and scarf?

I wouldn't pay much attention to the stats on BBC, they're usually wrong. Don't know who provides them. Just watched the highlights and there were 3 attempts on target shown. Lawless volley in the 1st half, Doolan's 2nd header was tipped on to the bar by Fox and Amoo flicked a header straight at Fox after Osman won a header from a late corner.

Thought Cerny proved he is a better keeper than Fox. Thought Dan Seabourne showed what a good defender he is. Thought Osman was immense at breaking things up and stealing balls off the opposition. Thought we played some amazing stuff on the edge of their penalty area, just that last pass...

Oh! And Doolan is still amazing!

Great to be a Jag tonight.

Couple of questions for the statisticians around.

When was the last time we won four games on the bounce in the Premier League? And when was the last time Thistle won and the ugly sisters both lost on the same day?

See STATS WATCH 2015-16 thread, post 182 for the answer (to your first question)!

For me Osman and Bannigan were both absolutely immense, Bannigan giving us impetus and keeping possession whilst Osman did the ugly stuff so well.

But most of all everyone associated with Partick Thistle felt like one big team, and the players played as a real team. No egos (that was in Kilmarnock!)

Re Dallas, yes he was poor but at least he didn't give any of the penalty claims - there plenty refs who would have done and ruined or day!

I wouldn't pay much attention to the stats on BBC, they're usually wrong. Don't know who provides them. Just watched the highlights and there were 3 attempts on target shown. Lawless volley in the 1st half, Doolan's 2nd header was tipped on to the bar by Fox and Amoo flicked a header straight at Fox after Osman won a header from a late corner.

Amoo also had a shot on target that was deflected for a corner

Ha-ha, thanks BB but I have to say I'm with the Big Lemon, football's a far more complex game than ever before and these possession stats and the like have very little relevance.

Added to that is the fact that the compilers for the Scottish game are so inaccurate, their end summaries are completely useless. As I know from watching closely, they regularly fail to identify even the most basic of assists.

The contrast between our record of goals for and against and those of other clubs in this league is remarkable: we concede fewer than most, but also score fewer. Is that due to coaching or selection of players? Anyway, whichever it is, it seems to be working for now.

Re Dallas, yes he was poor but at least he didn't give any of the penalty claims - there plenty refs who would have done and ruined or day!

Agree with this. I didn't catch the (alleged) tug on Irvine, but if Reckford had gone down when Banzo was pulling him back on the bye-line, the ref had a decision to make. Maybe because he's a full-back he kept on his feet. I'm sure a forward player would have gone down.

Seen the penalty claims on Sportscene again, Could easily have given the one against Banzo but I think he let go just at the moment he was about to make a decision and got away with it.

Irvine's one , which I thought at the game was a stick on , was a dive and should have got him his fourth yellow card of the game.

• Like 1

Quite right. That Irvine is one moany B and should have been booked for his antics. And a straight red for his assault on lawless.

The way the Jags turned the game round was brilliant. I think the strong wind affected us more when it was in our favour. 2nd half we got it down and played football. Mid 3 were magnificent 2nd half.

The way young Lindsay dealt with the high balls continually pumped into the box was superb. And seaborne just as good. That Boyce is an awkward opponent and he never got a sniff. Forget about distribution. It's their job to deal with the physical stuff and clear their lines. How many goals did we lose in the last 2 seasons from high balls? BalAtoni and Muirhead are not physical enough. And neither is that moron Fox who fooled the ref on the one occasion we put in a high cross which he flapped at as usual.

Re the penalty claims. I didn't think either were penalties yesterday and after watching the highlights I haven't changed my mind. Thought Irvine in particular tried to con the ref.

This got me thinking that it has been a long time since we were awarded a penalty. While I have some vague recollection of Higgy getting booked for diving, I don't recall too many recent incidents of Thistle players 'trying to win' a penalty.

I don't like the view of most pundits that if there is contact then players are 'entitled' to go down but most other teams seem to. Are we penalising ourselves?

• Members

The ref got a lot of things wrong yesterday but he got both penalty claims spot on. Rekord was shoving Bannigan as much as Stuart was tugging at his pushing arm. Rekord only quit when he realised he wasn't going to get anywhere. The second Irvine knew he wasn't going to reach the cross and flung himself down. Should have been yellow carded for that one, but otherwise well done Ref.

Feeling top of the world with pride on this winning streak... think we might need to find another gear to sustain it against St Perth, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Still plenty of frailties apparent to me on saturdeay, but althogether I think the team is at last starting to settle in. As Archie spoke about in the program, our shape is holding up much better, we are performing better, more coherently as a team.

Ever since the promotion year we seem to have pretty much kept a strong team ethic and togetherness, but it can take time for that to evolve into positive tangible success.Think that is what got us through the last two games, confidence in the plan, our ability to execute it and it's chances of success if we all stick with it. Dumbaya's extension and the prospect of Dool's sticking around ought to strengthen that beleif throught the squad.

It's a good time to be a JAG!!!

ARCH-EE-BALD'S ... RED 'N' YELLA ARMAY!!!!

:fan:

• Like 1

Feeling top of the world with pride on this winning streak... think we might need to find another gear to sustain it against St Perth, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Still plenty of frailties apparent to me on saturdeay, but althogether I think the team is at last starting to settle in. As Archie spoke about in the program, our shape is holding up much better, we are performing better, more coherently as a team.

Ever since the promotion year we seem to have pretty much kept a strong team ethic and togetherness, but it can take time for that to evolve into positive tangible success.Think that is what got us through the last two games, confidence in the plan, our ability to execute it and it's chances of success if we all stick with it. Dumbaya's extension and the prospect of Dool's sticking around ought to strengthen that beleif throught the squad.

It's a good time to be a JAG!!!

ARCH-EE-BALD'S ... RED 'N' YELLA ARMAY!!!!

:fan:

The vital thing is that the defence is solid. If you ain't losing goals, you ain't losing games. I was Seabiscuits biggest critic last season, but he has been brilliant this season and I don't think anyone could have imagined Liam settling as well as he has. Yep he has made a few errors but that can be expected in someone so young. The full backs are great and with Abs protecting them, we have a real solid look about us, though that is gonna be severely tested in the next three games!