Aberdeen

p12tfc

Good game last night and we deserved a draw. Substitutions didn't work like v. St Johnstone- Chirch lost Doolan too easily for the winner but they were fortunate to equalise really - Seabournes header could have gone anywhere. Amoo and Welsh were excellent and I've never been able to say that before.

Pogba would have scored if he'd put his header back the way it came as the keeper's momentum was going towards where he put it.

Super crowd from Aberdeen who didn't look like a team that'll win enough games to win the league.

Edited by thebiglemon

Pogba isn't slow. For a big man, he moves pretty fast. He caused the Aberdeen defence problems all night. If he can get a goal, he'll gain the confidence not to snatch at chances when they arrive.

Flattering to deceive: nowhere near enough goals, given where his position is (Booth has scored more from the left back position!) nor enough assists. Even on our limited budget, we can do better. As for pace, he's slow and lumbering to the point where he couldn't get on the end of Fraser's precise pass. I'd be surprised if he lasts beyond the end of the season.

The most depressing thing about the game was the way both teams allowed over half the field to remain empty, not even placing one man on the opposite wing to even stretch the play. Only in Scotland does both sets of teams follow the ball like school weans. Must do more research as to how the rest of the world use the whole pitch. The man of the match by a country mile was Davie Amooooo

The most depressing thing about the game was the way both teams allowed over half the field to remain empty, not even placing one man on the opposite wing to even stretch the play. Only in Scotland does both sets of teams follow the ball like school weans. Must do more research as to how the rest of the world use the whole pitch. The man of the match by a country mile was Davie Amooooo

My brother and I have been commenting on that for years. Leave one man well away from the herd that are surrounding the ball, and belt it in that direction when you get the chance. At the very least, if the opposition gets wise to it, they will need to draw a man out to cover him, hence opening up the play.

I sometimes hope for the keeper to hit the ball into one of the empty spaces just to see what the other twenty players, who are sometimes crowded into an area smaller than the centre circle, would do.

We need a keeper with a sense of humour!

Before that, you need a keeper who can keep it on the green stuff.

I sometimes hope for the keeper to hit the ball into one of the empty spaces just to see what the other twenty players, who are sometimes crowded into an area smaller than the centre circle, would do.

Was at the U20s yesterday and I saw one of our players who was on empty side of the pack slyly signal to the keeper to put the bye kick towards the empty space. He didn't of course :)

Sometimes wonder if say Elliott or Amoo broke ranks and went over to the other side if it would be effective. You'd think with their pace the opposing side would need to stick at least a couple of players over to cover our one. If nothing else it would give us an extra man in the pack.

On a related theme, at kick-offs why do we always float a hopeful high ball down the right wing? We have been doing this since Brian Whittaker used to fire long crossfield punts for Bobby Houston to chase in Bertie Auld's time....I can't remember us ever actually retaining possession and on Tuesday night we put the ball straight out of play from a restart. We would be as well trying the Rugby tactic of aiming to kick the ball out by the corner flag to hem the opposition back in their half...or even better take them by surprise by dribbling and passing the ball up field straight from the kick-off

On a related theme, at kick-offs why do we always float a hopeful high ball down the right wing? We have been doing this since Brian Whittaker used to fire long crossfield punts for Bobby Houston to chase in Bertie Auld's time....I can't remember us ever actually retaining possession and on Tuesday night we put the ball straight out of play from a restart. We would be as well trying the Rugby tactic of aiming to kick the ball out by the corner flag to hem the opposition back in their half...or even better take them by surprise by dribbling and passing the ball up field straight from the kick-off

novel idea from leftfield but it will never catch on.

same as a keeper booting ball away from the mass of players congregated in a ten by ten metre square area, with preplanned runner or two ready to bolt after it, will never take off.

My brother and I have been commenting on that for years. Leave one man well away from the herd that are surrounding the ball, and belt it in that direction when you get the chance. At the very least, if the opposition gets wise to it, they will need to draw a man out to cover him, hence opening up the play.
Could you imagine Arsenal v Man Utd, and all out field players trooping across to the one side of the pitch. This is where we are in Scotland, its not just us but almost every team does the same. That is why we're crap in Europe and cant qualify for international competitions. Who the pluck is running these coaching centres?. Back in my day if you let the ball bounce, couldn't trap a ball or use the wing to get to the dead ball line, thus turning the whole defence, you couldn't get a game. Changed days indeed. finally back in the day every team in the top league had a player you all knew, and would pay to watch. Can you give me just one player in Scotland you would pay to watch......
  • Like 1

I firmly believe it's written into the players' contracts.

Just like how everyone who plays for Ross County must be extremely unlikeable.

Could you imagine Arsenal v Man Utd, and all out field players trooping across to the one side of the pitch. This is where we are in Scotland, its not just us but almost every team does the same. That is why we're crap in Europe and cant qualify for international competitions. Who the pluck is running these coaching centres?. Back in my day if you let the ball bounce, couldn't trap a ball or use the wing to get to the dead ball line, thus turning the whole defence, you couldn't get a game. Changed days indeed. finally back in the day every team in the top league had a player you all knew, and would pay to watch. Can you give me just one player in Scotland you would pay to watch......

I pay to watch the Thistle players every game at Firhill.

• Like 1

I'll take Sabbath's point about players you'd pay to see and extend that to the Scotland team.

Apparently the SFA are offering tickets for the friendly against Denmark for "from a fiver" and I'm still not motivated to cross Glasgow to watch the likes of Martin, Berra, Mulgrew and Fletcher.

Respect to the many fans that support the national team, but there are no players there that you'd boast about having seen play.

Is that not just a symptom of the modern game though? The emphasis now is on fitness, dedication, hard work etc. The conditions don't lend themselves to "maverick" type players. If you think about guys like Baxter, Gemmill etc - they were never the fittest of guys but in those days you could get away with it. Even right up to the likes of Le Tissier and Paul Merson - not the fiitest but could create something out of nothing.

Since the turn of the decade we haven't really seen those types of players coming from anywhere in the UK. I do worry that the "genius" can get coached out of players in the modern game as we strive to make them all "athletes".

I see Pogba is coming in for some criticism, both here and on Twitter. Some of the comments are very harsh. I thought he had a decent game against Aberdeen, despite the fact that he should have done better with the header. Some of his hold-up play was neat and he unsettled their back four on numerous occasions. What does concern me, however, is that our attacking midfielders rarely make runs beyond him, looking for flick-ons. Indeed, they are often far too slow to get close to him more generally. As a consequence we're really not playing to strengths of the player. In fact, in the first half against Aberdeen it looked like the rest of our team thought Doolan was playing up front, as they were regularly playing balls in behind the back-four. While Pogba isn't as slow as is often made out (and he seems much fitter than he did a few weeks ago) I wonder if we need to think more about tailoring our pattern of play to the particular skill-set of our lone striker.

Big Col give the guy a break, football is about looking beyond the obvious and seeing what players do both with and without the ball.

Pogba plays as a lone striker with the sole intent of holding the ball up ( which he does well) for the 3 guys who should b running in behind him.

Until he plays up front with another striker or as a lone striker with 2 wide men firing in balls for him to attack, we should really appreciate what he brings to the team.