Sevco V Jags 01/10/16. The Virgin Meeting Of The Two Clubs!

Lindau

Sadly today I think confirmed a lot to me about the current setup at PTFC. There is a chronic lack of ambition at Thistle, not on the part of fans, but the people in charge at the club. There was no desire today to really see beyond a routine 2-0 defeat. We travel to these games hoping for determined performances but are continually disappointed. There are only so many times you can struggle at the bottom of the table and manage to scramble free at the death. Aside from Sevco/Celtic/Aberdeen/Hearts, differences in attendances are largely negligible in this division, yet the wee team mentality persists, it's written all over all the staff. 35 years since we last won at Ibrox, and it's not changing any time soon

Edited by milhouse
  • Like 1

Positives - we looked OK in the first 30 minutes, should've had a few efforts on goal. Lindsay getting better. Scully didn't do anything wrong. Edwards becoming an important player.

Negatives - well... Devine looks prone to the odd 'Balatoni' in every game, Gordon not cutting it (Elliot would've been my choice), Lawless hasn't done anything all season. Osman looks off the pace, Booth gets into great positions but couldn't cross the road, Azeez isn't going to score many goals, Erskine had an off day, Welsh offers nothing as a sub, Amoo didn't do much at all...

All in all, we need to sort the defence - Gordon / Devine doesn't work. AND we need a striker who can score (or at least had the odd shot on target...)

Need to ring the changes I think - I'd start with Barton (does he exist?) for Osman. Every game I've seen this year, he looks a liability.

Complete garbage. Devine the worst offender for me, possibly the worst player at the club since the Campbell days, yet due to the complete mess of the squad Archie has made he is starting every week.

We have SEVEN central midfielders - Osman, Welsh, Barton, Bannigan, Fraser, Edwards, Wilson, plus the likes of Erskine who can play "in the hole".

We have just 2 centre backs, and just 2 strikers, forgetting ability, if you lose one player to injury or suspension, you're already leaving yourself short of options, today for instance with Doolan out.

That was utter crap and we bottled it. I think there is a major danger we get relegated this year unless we bring in a centre half immediately. If Archie thinks we can go through till January with this defence then we are going to end up cut adrift at the bottom.

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 1

Complete garbage. Devine the worst offender for me, possibly the worst player at the club since the Campbell days, yet due to the complete mess of the squad Archie has made he is starting every week.

We have SEVEN central midfielders - Osman, Welsh, Barton, Bannigan, Fraser, Edwards, Wilson, plus the likes of Erskine who can play "in the hole".

We have just 2 centre backs, and just 2 strikers, forgetting ability, if you lose one player to injury or suspension, you're already leaving yourself short of options, today for instance with Doolan out.

^^ this. In retrospect signing Bannigan rather than keeping Seabourne / Frans was a poor decision.

• Like 1

Played ok 1st half without really threatening but 2nd half was usual Thistle against a "better" team. Crossing was terrible and corners were pathetic. Substitutions just show what a limited squad we are working with. Onwards and upwards

Archie's fault for clogging the team with a million midfielders.

When we signed Devine I think it was seen as a 'not sure about him' signing. Seems a total liability now. Almost everyone applauded Gordon's signing. Doesn't seem to be working out.

It looks as if Gordon and Devine don't understand each other.

It's down to Archie to sort it as he brought them in, but they are looking like a couple of duds.

As for bringing more bodies in? Do we have anything left in the budget?

That was utter crap and we bottled it. I think there is a major danger we get relegated this year unless we bring in a centre half immediately. If Archie thinks we can go through till January with this defence then we are going to end up cut adrift at the bottom.

Correct. Progressing as a club means being ruthless with failing players. Azeez - not good enough. Devine - not good enough. Get rid of them.

It looks as if Gordon and Devine don't understand each other.

Agree

I wonder if one of them might improve without the other one there. The only options would be Barton for Devine or Elliot for Gordon.

Archie needs to change somthing quick before it, begins to spiral downward out of control.

Archie needs to start getting some balls and drop a few players who seem to think they are guaranteed to start no matter how they perform. Stevie lawless hasn't kicked a ball all season, again today in the second half he trotted about doing very little and looks completely disinterested in helping booth out at the back. Also ziggy Gordon has got to go, Elliott played superbly last week against Motherwell and should never have been dropped, booths form is suspect at best this season and Gordon's been rank since he signed yet Christie was sub.

The Welsh sub was a clear signal to all that we were taking a 2 nil defeat, with 15 mins to go and the h*ns for the taking its no wonder why so many fans were so annoyed at the final whistle. I don't think we will have had a better chance to beat sevco at Ibrox as they are a very poor side yet as others say we accepted defeat early in the second half with zero fight.

Only positive for me was Ryan Edwards, superb chasing, closing down and energy. The only player that looked like they were trying to get us back into the game in the second half.

• Like 2

Very disappointing that it's another match without a point let alone three.

Having said that the negativity on this thread is more worrying. Talk of accepting defeat, lack of ambition, relegation etc is in my view way of the mark and very disrespectful to the club and the team.

As much as this is probably one of the poorest Rangers teams to have been in the top flight these matches will never define our season. It's the games against those in the bottom 6 that will and we need to start picking up wins against them. We are one of 4 teams that have only won one match so far so there is no need to panic. We have a few areas of concern particurly at the back that need addressed, however we have looked good in many of the games and not been outplayed in many. A win will do wonders for the confidence not least for the fans.

Have faith and stick with the team it'll be a long and difficult season if we get on their backs.

Really poor start to the season and today reiterated the concerns about the defence , neither Lindsay or Devine inspire me with confidence and most supporters concerns about not replacing Seabourne , Franz or Miller are unfortunately becoming a reality.

Our transfer dealings so far haven't worked out and I agree with one of the previous posters that it is a totally lopsided squad with a plethora of midfield players , an example being the resigning of David Wilson and then when the serious stuff starts he doesn't get a sniff of playing time . We've now got 3 first team goal keepers and a goalkeeping coach, would it not have been better just to have kept on Paul Gallagher as a player / goal keeping coach ?

Not sure what Adam Barton is thinking , signed for a fee of £40k on a 3 yr deal and he can't get a game for a team at the bottom of the league. Azeez won't score many goals this season , today being a good example as his lack of movement contributed to the final ball looking bad at times , not sure how Archie justifies dropping his only proven goal scorer for him, I know Doolan was injured today but we should let Dools get back into the groove and do what he does best.

I would give Christie Elliot a shout as an alternative centre back , I think he's got all the attributes to play that position ( power and pace )

Post note to the game today , thought Ryan Edwards was immense today and our MOM by a mile.

• Like 1

Poor start to the season - not dis-similar to last - but not convinced that the weekly blood-letting is particularly meaningful at this point in the season - except in a cathartic kind of way. Perhaps the next two games - Hamilton and Ross at Firhill - will be a better indicator of the prospects for the winter. :mellow::unsure::frantic:

Devine - dud.

Azeez - dud.

Gordon - dud.

But I'll expect the same team to come out for the next game. Same set up. Same subs. Same personnel.

Different result?

Thought Gordon had a good game today. Has tho' been disappointing over the piece. Anyway anyone that's seen Jags games against Accies over the last few seasons will know that Gordon isn't a "dud". Why he's not played as well as most of us know he can is of course worthy of discussion. If Ziggy plays like he did today in the next few matches i certainly wouldn't be thinking the right back spot was anywhere near our main concern.

• Like 1

Scully 7/10 - Not at fault, never really tested.

Booth 6/10 - Just ok today. Never really a threat going forward and ok defensively

Gordon 6.5/10 - Similar to Booth. Marginally better going forrward.

Lindsay 7/10 - Strolled through game and didn't seem to do much wrong. Let down by defensive partner.

Devine 4/10 - Looks great and composed 1 minute then an absolute bomb scare the next. Must be dropped. Play a 17 yr old kid if we have one next game.

Osman 6/10 - Ok today but never imposed himself

Lawless 6/10 - Similar to Ozzy. To many times picked the wrong pass or never quite played the right ball

Erskine 6.5/10 - Tried hard then faded in 2nd half. Frustrated

Edwards 8/10 - My MotM. Constant menace. Worked his socks off. Wish rest of team could've kept working the full 90 like Ryan.

Amoo 7/10 - Despite what others said on here, worked hard, always available, put in a fair few crosses. Unfortunately nothing converted in first 30 and paid the price. Substituted even though he was our best player at that point.

Azeez 5/10 - Looks out his depth. Always thought leagues in ENG were of a better standard but obviously wrong. Looks like this season's Eccleston/Mukendi/Pogba. Total heedless Carthorse. Would free now if we could along with Devine.

Why was Declan McDaid booed coming on? Elliott and Welsh never received similar treatment.

Declan has no ties to either of the ugly sisters having come through the ranks since joining from Morton - so the booing will be due to either

(A) he has a name which bigots may interpret to be from a particular religious grouping

or

(B )he's posted something on social media

Edited by gianlucatoni

Declan has no ties to either of the ugly sisters having come through the ranks since joining from Morton - so the booing will be due to either (A) he has a name which bigots may interpret to be from a particular religious grouping or (B )he's posted something on social media

If ever you wantedproof of what a manky mobe they are, there it is. Of course nothing will be said about it in the media and everything connected with football will continue in its own rotten way in Scotland.

• Like 3

If ever you wantedproof of what a manky mobe they are, there it is. Of course nothing will be said about it in the media and everything connected with football will continue in its own rotten way in Scotland.

There's nothing rotten about the Jags, we are the anti dote to all that is wrong with the unsavoury side of what goes on week after week unchecked.

Just remember this when we berate the club because we have just lost in their backyard when we are outnumbered at least 50:1 and don't have the media support.

• Like 1