Sevco V Jags 01/10/16. The Virgin Meeting Of The Two Clubs!

Lindau

Don't comment on games I wasn't at, however couple of Sevco mates said Senderos should have been sent packing in the first half and that could have made it a completely different game but as everyone knows you don't get these decisions at the Asbestosdome or Porkheid. They said if it had happened up the other end, the jags player would have been off. They thought Thistle played well and there wasn't much between the sides. I have harped on all season about how amazed I was by most people's indifference on here about losing practically the whole defence from last season, given that the defence was very solid and had several back up scenarios when injuries kicked in. To date we have lost Cerny, Doumbaya (both injuries) Miller, Seaborne and Frans and brought in Devine, Gordon and Syme, none of whom have impressed. Think we need to give Barton a game in central defence as he is the only option we have and get Christie in at right back. Barton must be scratching his head as to why he came up here. He had a good game last week and Elliot was excellent, but both were axed yesterday. Next three games are going to go a long way into determining how our season is going to pan out. We need at least two victories to kick start our season

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Don't comment on games I wasn't at, however couple of Sevco mates said Senderos should have been sent packing in the first half and that could have made it a completely different game but as everyone knows you don't get these decisions at the Asbestosdome or Porkheid. They said if it had happened up the other end, the jags player would have been off. They thought Thistle played well and there wasn't much between the sides. I have harped on all season about how amazed I was by most people's indifference on here about losing practically the whole defence from last season, given that the defence was very solid and had several back up scenarios when injuries kicked in. To date we have lost Cerny, Doumbaya (both injuries) Miller, Seaborne and Frans and brought in Devine, Gordon and Syme, none of whom have impressed. Think we need to give Barton a game in central defence as he is the only option we have and get Christie in at right back. Barton must be scratching his head as to why he came up here. He had a good game last week and Elliot was excellent, but both were axed yesterday. Next three games are going to go a long way into determining how our season is going to pan out. We need at least two victories to kick start our season

to be fair is Syme not only about 18 or 19 and I don't think he has been given that much of a chance

to be fair is Syme not only about 18 or 19 and I don't think he has been given that much of a chance

I have seen him regularly in the Development squad and believe me he is a long, long way from being anywhere near the first team squad, never mind the first team!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

I have seen him regularly in the Development squad and believe me he is a long, long way from being anywhere near the first team squad, never mind the first team!

Agree. Got a bit to go tho' showed up well enough in pre season friendlies at right back. Archie wouldn't have moved Gordon inside and put the lad at right back v Dundee Utd if he was anywhere near ready to play as a centreback.

re Senderos, he should've been booked earlier for a rugby type tackle he clean got away with. Whether he'd have made the tackle that he did get booked for is anyone's guess. The yellow was the right decision due to the direction Azeez was heading. Besides I'm not too sure what a clear cut goal scoring opportunity is when Ade's involved. :)

As Senderos was an obvious weak link we really should've got on top of him more, in the second half especially. Instead I reluctantly have to give sevco some praise for the way they closed the game down. How much praise is dependent on how you rated our attacking efforts for the last two thirds of the match.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We should have trial by telly ( similar to the Aguero incident when the English FA took action) and Senderos would have been seen to take out Azeez.

Oops, silly me, completely forgot he's a Sevco player.

And yet what did you just do??

Look I'm having a laugh so do not take my comment seriously, Lindau. Love reading your contributions on here, even though I may not agree with a number of them.

But as a passionate Jags fan like me, where do we go from here?

Think you will find I personally didn't actually comment on the match only on what two Sevconians told me. Sadly the two guys in question are in a severe minority as far as that lot go. They admit their club died in 2012 and are making the most of what is left, knowing fine well the glory days of Klos, Gascoigne, Laudrop etc are long gone. I still think we are playing well just now, but we need a break and we need that defence to get sorted pronto. I am an Archie fan, but for the life of me I can't understand why he has left us so under strength at the back and up front this season while flooding the squad with midfielders. It could come back to haunt him and us big time come May!

Edited by Lindau

I still think we are playing well just now, but we need a break and we need that defence to get sorted pronto. I am an Archie fan, but for the life of me I can't understand why he has left us so under strength at the back and up front this season while flooding the squad with midfielders. It could come back to haunt him big time come May!

Pretty much the way I see it actually.

You can only dwell so much on bad luck. Our strikers have done ............what........... this season??

You can only dwell so much on bad luck. Our strikers have done ............what........... this season??

Get Dools back up front where he belongs instead of playing behind the main striker or in midfield , Doolan is the main striker at the club as his goals over the years have proved time and time again, get him linked up again with Erskine then the goals will come.
  • Like 1

It's a confidence thing. I still think Azeez can do us a turn, but he needs a goal badly. Strikers thrive on confidence and you can see it is playing on his mind. The thing we need most of all is for the defence to cut out the schoolboy errors. Keep a clean sheet and you only need to take one chance. Sadly if Danny Devine continues to play like Sydney Devine it is going to be mighty difficult to get that elusive clean sheet.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a confidence thing. Can we go much longer with Doolan on the bench, losing confidence, while Azeez continues to misfire?

Not sure if it's just a confidence thing with Azeez , even in the League Cup games he missed several chances and scored once against Stenny , his record with the other clubs he's been at suggests he's never been a prolific scorer.

Heard Paul Hartley before the Celtic game saying that he had lost 40 goals out his team with Hemmings and Greg Stewart leaving at this moment Archie has a proven goal scorer on the bench and refuses to play him in his natural position.

It's too simplistic to say Doolan only scores goals and doesn't run the channels and isn't it a physical presence, but the main objective of any striker should be scoring goals and that's what we're looking for at the moment .

Get Dools back up front where he belongs instead of playing behind the main striker or in midfield , Doolan is the main striker at the club as his goals over the years have proved time and time again, get him linked up again with Erskine then the goals will come.

this

Think doolan has started two league games so far ,

Inverness and Killie,

4 points?

• Like 1

Dools was frozen out for Pogba for much of last season. Looks like he'll be frozen out for another no-goal "striker" this season. Pig-headedness by Archie, I think.

• Like 1

As much as I love Doolan, I think we need to get some perspective on his goal scoring ability - he's hardly prolific and certainly not in the Hemmings and Stewart category at Dundee. Yes, he'll score goals, but he'll also go for weeks without troubling the goalkeeper. I'm sure Archie's thinking is that if we could find a goalscorer like Hemmings not only would we be secure in the division, but in with a shout of the top six and doing something in the cups - a thought that must particularly nag at him as he had the chance of signing the very goalscorer Hemmings and passed it up. Azeez is similar in style to Hemmings, maybe Archibald is trying to make up for a previous mistake? I don't know what Hemmings goal scoring record was before Dundee, maybe Azeez will yet become the goalscorer we all want.

Edited by Firhillista

Thoughts on the game after a bit of a "cooling off" period.

We started well. Knocked the ball about with ease, and it was clear to see in the early stages that this Rangers team are nothing to be afraid of. Yet when we got anywhere near goal, afraid is exactly what we became. Players completely panicking, not once making the correct pass or taking the correct option. To do that is completely unforgivable. For all the possession we had in the first half hour of the game, we should have had way more to show for it than the solitary header from Edwards.

And at the other end, we were terrified to even put a tackle, which you can clearly see at the first goal. I can't recall an opposition player ever getting so much time on the ball in the box. After that we just completely collapsed. Devine has come in for a lot of stick and I would normally defend one of our players in those situations but I'm afraid it's just not possible to do so here. It's a simple 10 yard pass and he makes a complete ar*e of it. At this level that really is appalling. What makes it worse is that he sprints back afterwards but completely ignores the players arriving on the edge of the box, and just keeps heading for his own goal. Complete lack of awareness on top of his original mistake. Halliday then gets the ball in acres of space on the edge of the box and has time to pick his spot. A very good finish it was too, but again, he should never be getting that much time in such a dangerous area.

In the 2nd half, there just seemed to be complete lack of belief from the players that we could get something. We seemed happy to settle for a 2-0 defeat. That may not be the case but I'm just being completely honest, that's what it looked like to me. Erskine has a golden chance to get us back in it and he just plays it straight at the keeper, when he could really have picked either corner of the net and it's a certain goal. Absolute criminal finishing I'm afraid.

I don't mind losing football matches, and against the old firm it's always going to be difficult. I've come away from games against them in the past being not too despondent at all, because we competed well, did everything we could but in the end they were simply the better side. Can have no complaints in those situations - they should really be beating us after all given the respective budgets available. But Saturday wasn't one of those days, Rangers aren't currently one of those teams, and most importantly, we didn't do everything we could to try and get something from the game.

• Like 1

The last couple of posts are pretty close to my thoughts.

I actually don't think Doolan has looked like finding the net this season either. Scuffed shots etc when he has had chances. I still think there's something about azeez and as firhillista says, I hope he might be another Hemmings yet.

The disappointment on Saturday was felt by All of us I am sure. Not disappointment that we don't have the resources to compete , but disappointment that we could compete but didn't. There were positives though and although we need to start securing points not positives, I honestly believe we can pick up 7 points from our next 3 games.

• Like 1

Wasn't at the game but managed to somehow find a pub in Aberdeen showing it, somewhere selling alcohol was a good place to be rather than at the match! Really poor defending from Devine and I honestly can't see that being acceptable much longer before being dropped... Who for, I don't even know.

Agree with the comments about us lacking fight and composure at certain points. Felt sorry for Edwards on Saturday, as he was the exception here.

Was disappointed to see Elliott dropped and Barton not to feature at all. Two players I thought really deserved a place after the Motherwell game.

Starting to miss the days of Frans and Seaborne at the back to be honest.

Too lazy to bother but I'm sure if you go back over this thread (and any other related) opinion was by and large in favour of Azeez starting on Saturday. The trouble Ade was giving Senderos in the first half was obvious. Said elsewhere but why we eased of pressurising him is a bit of a mystery. It's the very thing Azeez excels at normally.

I don't know why Dools wasn't on the bench but rather suspect he couldn't have been 100% as I don't see McDaid being ahead of Doolan thru the middle.

As much as I love Doolan, I think we need to get some perspective on his goal scoring ability - he's hardly prolific and certainly not in the Hemmings and Stewart category at Dundee. Yes, he'll score goals, but he'll also go for weeks without troubling the goalkeeper. I'm sure Archie's thinking is that if we could find a goalscorer like Hemmings not only would we be secure in the division, but in with a shout of the top six and doing something in the cups - a thought that must particularly nag at him as he had the chance of signing the very goalscorer Hemmings and passed it up. Azeez is similar in style to Hemmings, maybe Archibald is trying to make up for a previous mistake? I don't know what Hemmings goal scoring record was before Dundee, maybe Azeez will yet become the goalscorer we all want.

Think I'm turning into the Kris Doolan fan club , Doolan finished last season as 6th top goal scorer in the Spfl with 14 goals and has scored 34 goals in the Spfl since we got promoted 3 years ago , only my judgement but with a team that has been fighting relegation the last 3 years I don't think that's too bad, none of our other players even come close.

Azeez has qualities with his pace and physicality but maybe at this moment these qualities are wasted , absolutely no point Azeez pressing defenders out at the corner flags etc if the rest of the team aren't doing the same .

Doolan has started 3 games this season ( Inverness , Kilmarnock and St Johnstone) , against Inverness and Kilmarnock he played his normal position , against St Johnstone he played behind Azeez.

Unless Archie has got a goal scorer up his sleeve , he's taking a huge gamble leaving Doolan out his team if he wants to stay in the league.

• Like 4