Motherwell 19/11/16

Lindau

"We are always looking for too much time on the ball. At throw-ins, free kicks and when pushing out from the back we need to get things sped up and not give opposing teams time to get themselves organised.

If we want to get ourselves into the top six and stay there this is the part of our game which needs to improve."

I posted this following the Aberdeen game. Sounds as though it's being confirmed.

BBC up to their normal standards of journalism (or just bad spelling?): Hope Patrick enjoys his game.

Well on their way to victory

Motherwell 2-0 Partick Thistle

0fc9cb35-cd1a-49eb-a763-2296709500ad.jpg

Chris McLaughlin

BBC Scotland at Fir Park

Posted at 16:29

Patrick pushing and probing well at times but I expect Motherwell to see this out. They've looked hungrier and more organised this afternoon.

I think it's been obvious for a while that most of this season, if not all of it, will see us struggling in the bottom half of the table along with 5 or 6 other teams. It'd just going to be one of these seasons with no obvious "straight down" candidates. Just have to hope the team has the mental strength to keep going regardless.

I think it's been obvious for a while that most of this season, if not all of it, will see us struggling in the bottom half of the table along with 5 or 6 other teams. It'd just going to be one of these seasons with no obvious "straight down" candidates. Just have to hope the team has the mental strength to keep going regardless.

well next week is a great test for mental strength. We literally seem incapable of getting a draw never mind a win against teams like Celtic Hearts and Aberdeen, will rangers be added to this list I hope not considering plenty of other teams have had draws against them but the manager and players really need to have a better attitude going into the game otherwise it will be 3 points going to ibrox

Utterly pedestrian. The very least a team needs to do to win a game is play with energy. That first half was torture. Total walking pace. Once again we think we're some great football team that doesn't need to work hard to win a game. Wrong. Again.

And a special mention for Welsh. Once again pedestrian in chief. Too many touches. No forward drive. Pathetic delivery.

We are clueless and brainless. Barton made a baws eh the second, pointing at his own man when if he took charge there wis no danger. The 2nd hauf introduction of doolan made a difference, azeez can run aw day but he'll never score a goal. In truth we never threatened a poor Motherwell team who although were organised there erses wouldve collapsed if we had scored. Wit a waste of ma voice the day, infact not one song was sung which summed it up. I mind playing pollok an gettin horsed cos everytime we put the baw forward they jumped on top and scored. We resorted to playing square baws across the back, at least that way we kept the baw but never lost anymore. Thats what looked like we done the day. There were no ifs or buts, we never turned up. Disappointing to say the least. As fir the ref, he wis poor fir both teams and wisnae the reason for our defeat.

Back in from Motherwell and for the life of me I've got no idea why Alan Archibald set the team up the way he did reverting back to one striker up front with Erskine playing behind Azeez.

We've played well the last 3 games and I've no idea why Archie decided to give Motherwell so much respect, who are at best an average team . We looked a better team second half with Doolan on upfront with Azeez, and if we had started with that system it would have been a different game , hope we're not going back to Archie's negative tactics again.

• Like 1

Back in from Motherwell and for the life of me I've got no idea why Alan Archibald set the team up the way he did reverting back to one striker up front with Erskine playing behind Azeez.

We've played well the last 3 games and I've no idea why Archie decided to give Motherwell so much respect, who are at best an average team . We looked a better team second half with Doolan on upfront with Azeez, and if we had started with that system it would have been a different game , hope we're not going back to Archie's negative tactics again.

All about opinions but I thought the team was set up the same way with Erskine up with Azeez. The problem for me was Erskine was way off the pace and failed constantly to either make a basic pass or chose the wrong option.

Hindsight is always great but why he felt the need to shoe horn Erskine into the team in the first place is the obvious question for me, in particular when he left Erskine on and took off Edwards at half time, if Edwards wasn't injured then that was a criminal decision particularly as both Edwards and Lawless contributed more in their less time on the park that Chris did. Huge fan of Erskine but he was awful today.

All about opinions but I thought the team was set up the same way with Erskine up with Azeez. The problem for me was Erskine was way off the pace and failed constantly to either make a basic pass or chose the wrong option.

Hindsight is always great but why he felt the need to shoe horn Erskine into the team in the first place is the obvious question for me, in particular when he left Erskine on and took off Edwards at half time, if Edwards wasn't injured then that was a criminal decision particularly as both Edwards and Lawless contributed more in their less time on the park that Chris did. Huge fan of Erskine but he was awful today.

Pretty sure that's why it was changed at half time though IMO Erskine should have gone off as he was having a nightmare and was playing from deep rather than alongside Azeez which meant the midfield first half only had Azeez to play off which patently didn't work at all.

Dissapointing today. Probably couldn't criticise team selection before kick off but in hindsight we looked much more threatening one Stevie and Dools were on. A couple of bad goals to lose but thought Motherwell weren't up to much, got them selves ahead then anti football in the second half to see out the game.

We seem to struggle against teams that set themselves up not to lose - Mitherwell & Dross County. Maybe we should learn to play these teams at their own game.

I know it's a results business but that was torture to watch. I won't be forking out again at my local away game any time soon.

• Like 1

Dreadful first half performance, no energy, no desire, no fight and to make matters worse it was bucking faltic! A lot better in 2nd half with out really looking like scoring, bar the two Azeez chances. He has copped a bit of flack on here from a usual culprit but I thought he was our best player today. Tried his heart out and did a lot of good holding up play. Chris Erskine was dreadful in that first half but improved a bit in the second. The one thing I am surprised at is the lack of flack being aimed at Stuckman. I was up the opposite end of the main stand but it looked like he made a total Horlicks at the goal. Didn't cover himself in glory with his position at Aberdeens winning goal either. The one bit of good news today was seeing Tomas Cerny kicking the ball freely at his half time knock about with Kenny Arthur. Get him back in next week! As for Dallas that has to be one of the worst refereeing displays I have witnessed in a long time. What did McDonald have to do, to get booked??

Edited by Lindau

Dreadful first half performance, no energy, no desire, no fight and to make matters worse it was bucking faltic! A lot better in 2nd half with out really looking like scoring, bar the two Azeez chances. He has copped a bit of flack on here from a usual culprit but I thought he was our best player today. Tried his heart out and did a lot of good holding up play. Chris Erskine was dreadful in that first half but improved a bit in the second. The one thing I am surprised at is the lack of flack being aimed at Stuckman. I was up the opposite end of the main stand but it looked like he made a total Horlicks at the goal. Didn't cover himself in glory with his position at Aberdeens winning goal either. The one bit of good news today was seeing Tomas Cerny kicking the ball freely at his half time knock about with Kenny Arthur. Get him back in next week! As for Dallas that has to be one of the worst refereeing displays I have witnessed in a long time. What did McDonald have to do, to get booked??

I am pleased there is no flack being aimed at Stuckman because whilst I agree he was at fault for the first goal there doesn't always need to be a villain. I avoid this forum at times just because of the over negative criticasism of players when in my opinion it isn't justified or warranted.

We are supposed to be fans of the club and in my view that means without being blinded to reality you give the club the team the benefit of the doubt when the evidence is inconclusive.

I avoid this forum at times just because of the over negative criticism of players when in my opinion it isn't justified or warranted.

We are supposed to be fans of the club and in my view that means without being blinded to reality you give the club the team the benefit of the doubt when the evidence is inconclusive.

Likewise with me. Usually look in just to see who's the scapegoat. I feel safe tonight tho' as you'd have to be totally clueless not to realise it was the whole team at fault. Doolan came on and put in a near blameless performance but in truth just showed up the rest who were off the boil to a man.

We won the midfield battle up at McDiarmid, not something you're usually expected to do playing three centrebacks, Total opposite today, not even winning a decent share of second balls. Not so much to do with being outpaced, tho' we often were, more just a lack of urgency spreading from the defence right thru the side.