New Players...

Vinnyjag

Let's face it Archie's record in signing strikers is rank. Aside Lyle Taylor it's not been entirely successful. We will do our usual. Rank start to a season, start playing and climbing the league, fall back down again, lose to Dundee United in the cups and end up 8th calling it a decent season.

Baird, Mukendi, Ecclestone, Pogba, German and Azeez certainly provide support for your theory.

However, where he was signing Gabby in the first season as a centre-back, his standard is now Niall Keown. Is it too much of a leap of faith that the standard improves for the sharp end of the park too??

Still think our priority should be a left sided centreback. Not arguing that we don't need another goalscorer. attacker and full back or that players will be signed in pecking order. Just feel that we can start the league season with what we've got in every position bar central defence. Barton is clearly not at all comfortable as a left sided CB (or I feel in defence, 'cept in a three at the back). The fact Barton has been playing LCB ahead of Devine doesn't suggest Danny would be too good there either.

Still think our priority should be a left sided centreback. Not arguing that we don't need another goalscorer. attacker and full back or that players will be signed in pecking order. Just feel that we can start the league season with what we've got in every position bar central defence. Barton is clearly not at all comfortable as a left sided CB (or I feel in defence, 'cept in a three at the back). The fact Barton has been playing LCB ahead of Devine doesn't suggest Danny would be too good there either.

Spot on.

Interesting.

So are we going to be playing a flat back 4 with Devine and Keown? If so how do we integrate Barton into the team given that a fit and non-suspended Banzo and Abdul are stick-ons for the positions in front of the defence? Is Penrice going to be converted into the missing left-sided central defender?

Baird, Mukendi, Ecclestone, Pogba, German and Azeez certainly provide support for your theory.

However, where he was signing Gabby in the first season as a centre-back, his standard is now Niall Keown. Is it too much of a leap of faith that the standard improves for the sharp end of the park too??

No argument there Barney, but I've gone from being a knicker wetter to being blase about it. No doubt when we lose out first 10 gamesI will be wetting my frillies again. Archie does have history of getting players in after we've kicked off the league season. At least we have Spittal. Looks a good yin.

Interesting.

So are we going to be playing a flat back 4 with Devine and Keown? If so how do we integrate Barton into the team given that a fit and non-suspended Banzo and Abdul are stick-ons for the positions in front of the defence? Is Penrice going to be converted into the missing left-sided central defender?

Agree on Barton. I think it could be a back five with Barton as sweeper if Archie doesn't bring anyone in.

Possibly a 5-4-1.

I'd love to see one or 2 more in the door to provide depth, and some of the teams around us having been making signings which look decent and might well improve them.

But to read the amount of posts on here saying we're stick ons to struggle? Even for our fans that's taking it to the next level of worry. We've only really lost one player we wanted to hang on to, and managed to sign a defender we thought we had little chance of landing. The lack of 'ins' to a certain degree is proportional to the lack of 'outs'. Let's just hope Archie has a wee surprise for us in the next few days.

• Like 1

Some of our fans on here need to calm down. Unlike a lot of other teams we haven't had to rebuild in the close season and Archie is right to wait until he gets the most appropriate players in.

I agree a left sided CB should be priority before a striker. Archie also said in his after match interview on BT that his preferred formation this season is 4-2-3-1, which throws up quite a few selection headaches for him.

If we bring another CB in where does Barton play? as one of the 2 holding (ahead of Osman and Bannigan)? When Keown is fit we have an ample squad to see us through the next few weeks, we have lost Welsh and Amoo and replaced with Bannigan and Spittal which is an upgrade.

We knew we were losing Lindsay, so getting Keown back in is a plus as is Cerny signing a contract extension.

So let's chill for a bit and see what Archie does over the coming weeks, in the meantime there is no need to panic.

I'd love to see one or 2 more in the door to provide depth, and some of the teams around us having been making signings which look decent and might well improve them.

But to read the amount of posts on here saying we're stick ons to struggle? Even for our fans that's taking it to the next level of worry. We've only really lost one player we wanted to hang on to, and managed to sign a defender we thought we had little chance of landing. The lack of 'ins' to a certain degree is proportional to the lack of 'outs'. Let's just hope Archie has a wee surprise for us in the next few days.

I'd like to share your optimism Paolo, but I've had the impression that we've ridden our luck big style with Kris Doolan over the last four years. My fear is that if he gets a serious injury, we have no plan B. None. Nada. Niente. Nul. There is no denying he has dry spells, but similarly there is also no denying that his goals have been pretty much singularly instrumental in us maintaining our status. And as well as dry periods, strikers pick up injuries. That's a fact of the game.

Let's say Broadfoot 'accidentally' takes out Doolan in our next game. Where do we go from there?

McCulloch certainly hasn't been sitting on his hands - that's O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Thomas and Erwin in already. That considerably strengthens their hand for this season.

Unfortunately.

P.S. Just seen he's in for Brophy from Hamilton as well.

Where the feck are Killie getting the money from?

Let's face it Archie's record in signing strikers is rank. Aside Lyle Taylor it's not been entirely successful. We will do our usual. Rank start to a season, start playing and climbing the league, fall back down again, lose to Dundee United in the cups and end up 8th calling it a decent season.

Except that script wasn't followed last season.

Erwin signed for Killie

Someone on Facebook that claims to have the facts says we offered Erwin £1k per week, Killie offered £2.4k. If true we will struggle to beat anyone apart from Accies when going after players. Also if true, how on earth can Killie do it? It's not like they have crowds more than double ours

Someone on Facebook that claims to have the facts says we offered Erwin £1k per week, Killie offered £2.4k. If true we will struggle to beat anyone apart from Accies when going after players. Also if true, how on earth can Killie do it? It's not like they have crowds more than double ours

If that's what we offer Storey also you can bet your bottom dollar that St Johnstone will beat us to him also

Edited by Paukea

Not sure as well how they can afford it but didn't they sell Coulibaly for about 500k and they also host the junior cup final most years. Not sure how much they get from that

Killie got nearer 900k for coulibaly but also have a board willing to invest more ( they do have bigger crowds) . Got to say they are singing a lot of decent players and will be stronger this year. Must be pretty depressing for Archie seeing us outbid for any decent strikers. No way will we get storey.

In fairness to Kilmarnock the mantra of "speculate to accumulate" is probably appropriate - we, self-evidently, cannot go down that particular road given our finances so it is probably best to concentrate on those players we can potentially afford or, even better, bring on younger players through the ranks. I suspect Kilmarnock's overall income is substantially higher than our own and potentially their running costs, in terms of their ground, are less - they can therefore afford to spend more on their playing staff being able to set this budget at a higher level than we can.

I say this through gritted teeth, but good luck to them - in a way we could (perhaps even should) be envious of them but it is apparent that they are operating on a financial level higher than we are. Similarly St. Johnstone - who will probably secure the likes of Storey and Dundee United - despite being in a diivision below - who can offer a better deal to Scott McDonald than we could consider.

The Scott McDonald one is interesting on a number of fronts.

How come DUFC ( a division down) were more attractive to him?

Were we unable to compete financially (Archie's heritage seems to favour players below 24/5)?

Were we not attractive to Scott McDonald Ito infrastructure? This guy has been around the block a bit after all.

I'd really like to know why at this time in our recent evolution, Thistle was not an attractive option to Scott McDonald.

Unless someone could come up with a third person I reckon only Lee Erwin and his agent could know for certain what each club offered. Why would either divulge that? Why even if they did would anyone believe them? What club offers a flat rate wage in any case? Length of contract, win bonus, draw bonus, play bonus and final league place bonus all come into any equation.

The Scott McDonald one is interesting on a number of fronts.

How come DUFC ( a division down) were more attractive to him?

Were we unable to compete financially (Archie's heritage seems to favour players below 24/5)?

Were we not attractive to Scott McDonald Ito infrastructure? This guy has been around the block a bit after all.

I'd really like to know why at this time in our recent evolution, Thistle was not an attractive option to Scott McDonald.

McDonald was quoted saying he wants to get some medals as his career ends and winning the Championship appeals.

I also suspect he struggled last year more than previous seasons. He scored 11 in 40, I'm sure his return is usually better. At 33, for a striker, he is near the end for the top of his career. The easier Championship, while probably getting about the same wage, will have tempted him.

McDonald was quoted saying he wants to get some medals as his career ends and winning the Championship appeals.

I also suspect he struggled last year more than previous seasons. He scored 11 in 40, I'm sure his return is usually better. At 33, for a striker, he is near the end for the top of his career. The easier Championship, while probably getting about the same wage, will have tempted him.

Thanks for the considered response - his goalscoring record at Millwall was hardly stellar (although admittedly he was playing a different role down there).

And let's face it - we'd happily take 11 from 40 from anyone whose name is not Doolan.

Still don't get why we were not an attractive option - unless financial considerations were an issue which is always possible.