Ross County 30/12/17

Auld Jag

Not sure what the highlight of the day was for me, either big Connor lungbusting run to shove the boy 6 foot in the air into the advertising boarding or mccarthys push on the defender 5 seconds after he'd released the ball. Hes a total lunatic but exactly the sort of midfielder we need to grab the game by the scruff of the neck plus he can actually pass!

Agree with montyjag that the defence is less panicky without devine and i thought that turnbull today was excellent and also mcginn.

I dont know whats happened to edwards tackling however, he just seemed to stand off county players today and against accies too instead of pressing tight and sticking his foot in.

Get Sammon signed up permanently.

it will obviously be Hearts choice but don’t think they would keep him

He’s never going to be an out and out goal scorer but that’s not what he was brought in for and what I really like about him since the minute he started when we first signed him against Celtic is that he gives his all, is a leader on the park very much encourages everyone great attitude and I reckon a very good player to have in the dressing room and one who a lot of the younger lads can learn from.

A very important signing from Archie and would be pleased if we could get him on a permanent

• Like 1

All three points in a 'must win' bottom of the table encounter. A clean sheet thrown in. I'm as happy as a very happy person who's got a special reason to be happy.

Have faith always. If we don't provide the support and encouragement the team needs, that leaves nobody.

We are PTFC and very, very proud to be Jags.

not the best of games,but a vital 3 points.We seem to be a lot tighter at the back and 2 well taken goals.BowenBoys joined me in the NS today this has happened 3 times and we have watched 3 jags victories. :happy2:

The AJ/BB partnership strikes again. Get them signed up!

It wasn't a great game but three hard won points. I'm sure we would all rather watch silky football but for now let's celebrate being off the bottom. We're in a real battle and we're battling well.

I love a goal from a crap backpass especially when it involves Doolan circumnavigating Fox.

• Like 2

not the best of games,but a vital 3 points.We seem to be a lot tighter at the back and 2 well taken goals.BowenBoys joined me in the NS today this has happened 3 times and we have watched 3 jags victories. :happy2:

Good to meet you both, Robert and Phil, at halftime. If we can keep you both together in the North Stand and keep Barton in defence, then we have nothing to fear in the second half of the season.

• Like 1

Sammon was excellent today but I’d like to see him put in that kind of performance more often before rushing to sign him permenantly.

Looks like he could have a good partnership with Doolan though.

Barton is superb at sweeper, twice the player he is in midfield.

Not the best of games but nice to see us creating chances again.

I thought Spittal was very good, just needs to work on his final ball.

I think that was our first comfortable league win of the season and for that reason it had me leaving the game with much more optimism. We could easily have won that game by three or four.

I thought Adam Barton was outstanding and made a huge difference to the composure of our defence (having generally been a midfield bombscare all season). I also think Blair Spittal and Ryan Edwards have to be credited for constant running. Sammon was good and an overdue Kris Doolan goal usually (fingers crossed) means there's more to come.

Such an important game, our record in the 'must wins' under Archie is very impressive.

Happy tonight.

Edited by allyo

That was brutal stuff - one for the 'purists'. We looked fairly solid in defence, aside from the odd lapse. Barton was a bit more subdued today when in possession, but defensively he was excellent. Lawless and McGinn put in shifts, although I was hoping to see more from the former in an attacking sense. Woods was tidy in possession and good positionally - hope the injury isn't a bad one. The only person I thought was struggling was Storey, who needs to raise his head occasionally and improve his distribution. He tends to put his head down and run, often into defenders or down dead-ends. He could easily have found himself hooked, had he not gone off with what looked like a hamstring injury.

For me, however, one of the most significant positives to take from the match - aside from the vital three points - was Andy McCarthy's performance off the bench. That can't have been an easy game to enter at the point he did, but he slotted in perfectly and fired off several immaculately weighted through-balls and round-the-corner passes. I've felt for some time that Thistle have sorely needed someone who can thread passes like that, so fingers crossed for his continued development.

Not pretty at all, but the 2nd half was much better and it was a great 3 points. RC had plenty possession without really threatening much. Can't fault any of our players for effort, but the highlight for me was McCarthy's performance. He was composed and played some great passes, definitely looks like he should be more involved from now on

The back 3/4/5 were very good today.Thought lawless was stoic in his unfamiliar position and Barton is a thousand times better back there. You could see his confidence returning as the game went on and he was starting to find his own men with longer passes again toward the end.

Is this what we are now becoming? A team that purposely sits back and concedes possession and territory to win games. Can be pretty awful entertainment but at the moment needs must.The first goal seems vital to us.

Sammon and Doolan are a good partnership.hope archie playsthem together more often.

Thought Barton was miles better in that role. Great reading of game and finish by Dools and thought McCarthy and Sammon were excellent impacts off bench. For all our woes only 6 points off 6th and home wins to date v Dundee,St Johnstone,Motherwell,Hamilton and Ross C (could also argue unlucky v Hearts with goal that may have not been for 6th home win)

Highlight today was contranst in goalies, Tams celebration at 2nd goal and Foxs dejected coupon traping off at ft.

Happy New Year.

Much more solid at the back and Barton had another good game in the central defence. Sammon should be signed if available - he harried well, provided a good target, made good lay-offs to Doolan and took his goal really well. All of the team seemed to be much more motivated than earlier in the season, and continued the improvement shown against Hamilton.

If Archie keeps this team in the league it will be his finest managerial achievement

It's an interesting thought. Personally I thought that we were strengthened at the start of the season, and i had no real concerns; albeit I always expect us to be in the mix. And as it's turned out, I still think we're 'theoretically' stronger. The signings have been decent; Spittal, Turnbull, and in bursts Storey and Sammon. Problem is that last year's successful and settled team has been decimated, by injury, enforced inconsistency in formation, and to some extent form. And we do miss Lindsay.

So having negotiated the first half (or so) of the season within touch of the others, I find it difficult to determine whether this is a success or a failure. The team hasn't looked great, but it's definitely in the face of adversity. I'm still quite optimistic, hopeful that we'll be stronger after the break, but it's going to be a battle.

• Like 2

When two sides both play 3-5-2 the chances of a game being a thing of beauty diminishes. Thought we were much the better side in the second half after an even nervy first forty five. Also having to make two enforced substitutions could've been a real setback but certainly not the case today. Sammon had a superb game and for once won more than his share of headers. McCarthy's assist was excellent (he played an even better thru ball, again to Connor, earlier). Looks like Andy is now a serious squad player as opposed to making up the shortfall.

Agree with most of the post game comments. As last week I thought we started poorly but then looked a totally different team once we scored.

They had a lot of the ball but how many saves did Tam have to make?

Well done to all 13 players involved today, no weaknesses but rather some standout performances such as Barton and Turnbull at the back, Woods in the middle and Doolan up front. Well done Andy McC.two lovely passes to set up Sammon.

One other thing; we started with 7 players out injured and had another two hobbling off.

The break is coming at a good time to get some of them ready for the resumption.

Once again really proud to be a Jag tonight and very optimistic about the rest of the season. OTIG

If Archie keeps this team in the league it will be his finest managerial achievement

As I said in another thread, the form table over the last 13 games (i.e., a good length of time indicative of how we're playing presently) places us 7th (I've just checked). So our present form is indicative that we should finish safe even if we were just to carry on as we are going now. Our present position is almost entirely because of the dreadful start. We've been ok after that, though it may not feel it.

By contrast Motherwell have 2 points in the last 8 matches and are in freefall. Their Moult led great start seems far away now.

As I said in another thread, the form table over the last 13 games (i.e., a good length of time indicative of how we're playing presently) places us 7th (I've just checked). So our present form is indicative that we should finish safe even if we were just to carry on as we are going now. Our present position is almost entirely because of the dreadful start. We've been ok after that, though it may not feel it.

By contrast Motherwell have 2 points in the last 8 matches and are in freefall. Their Moult led great start seems far away now.

To be honest I think our poor start had a lot to do with very tough fixtures. In that context you'd also have to acknowledge that our better results have coincided with easier games. I don't think our current position is a false one, and in fact I think (unlike previous seasons) we're a bit fortunate to have as many points as we do.

What I'm basically saying is, I think we'll have to improve if we're to avoid the bottom places. But I have faith. Today was a big step.

I’ve been saying for a couple of months that McCarthy should be given a run. Just couldn’t understand why he wasn’t getting a go when the midfield was so poor and he had never let us down in some tough matches previously. He should play a key role for the rest of the season - if he drops out of the picture when Ozzie and Banzo etc return, he may not see his future at Firhill.

Same with Penrice - he should get a run until Booth and Elliott are fit

Well done Jags, great result and incredible we are still in the mix with the horrific injury list we have had

As you know any comparison is affected by the period you choose to start and finish 13 games is at best random .....

I think the league table is a better guide as it’s the one that counts (!) and where we are fairly reflects a pretty poor season so far or use the last six games which is common W3 L3 which might show us improving but we struggle to put 2 or 3 good results together

What does that tell us ? We have a chance of getting up the table but we need to improve ....we won today but the standard was poor

As you know any comparison is affected by the period you choose to start and finish 13 games is at best random .....

I think the league table is a better guide as it’s the one that counts (!) and where we are fairly reflects a pretty poor season so far or use the last six games which is common W3 L3 which might show us improving but we struggle to put 2 or 3 good results together

What does that tell us ? We have a chance of getting up the table but we need to improve ....we won today but the standard was poor

While 13 games seems random, it was chosen as it was the point where our form significantly improved, from which it has largely been maintained. Also, interestingly, the last 6 games you mention actually show further improvement still- 1.5 points per game as opposed to 1.34 points per game over the whole 13 matches.

Top marks to McCarthy for me today. Great battling and 2 perfectly weighted and accurate passes to Sammon for a goal and a one on one opportunity.

Barton was immense and I’m surprised more posters haven’t mentioned Jordan Turnbulls contribution today as solid.

I’ll contradict some by saying we showed some nice touches at times in what was a must win game and I’ll take 2-0 won that way a few more times this season please. Worth the price of a season ticket if we can do that every home game.